The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Sedins and the expansion draft Question

King T

2 hours ago, mll said:

Was not a buyout but a settlement.  They have a recapture penalty because he had one of those front loaded contracts à la Luongo.  It's added to whatever amount they are paying him until  2030-31.

It apparently benefits them because the buyout is a higher cap penalty then the recapture cap hit and the settlement that they now have on their books.

i am aware of that

but the cap recapature penalty was in fact assessed for 5 years

the balance is the amount of the settlement

there is a whole complicated argument to be made over whether the settlement is reasonable or not

but that amount was added to the la cap going forward

it does not seem to be an entirely unreasonable settlement

the team who got away with paying nothing was philly who signed him to that contract

they traded him before they paid him the high dollars in the contract

but from what i read they were never penalized for the slight overpayment compared to salary cap hit they made to richards in the first years of that contract

i know the richards case is a troubling one

but it is hard to conclude la kings got away with something underhanded

which is what my original post was trying to address (it was not almost fraud or unethical as the op was suggesting in this topic)

Or you writing poetry, or.....

Anyway, it has already be suggested that we ask one of the Sedins (likely Daniel) to waive his NTC so we can leave him unprotected.  I see no reason why he would be selected, given he would have 1 year left on his contract and isn't playing up to his current pricetag.

Archived