The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Penguins will buy out Marc-Andre Fleury if not traded

Isn't this the exact kind of thing Arizona is for?

Dump Flower in the desert. Send AZ a 3rd round pick with MAF for Smith. Problem solved. Smith is then exposed and Vegas picks him up. He could almost commute to work from Phoenix ;)

If i'm MAF i don't mind this idea either. AZ has a pretty decent future. 

13 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I still don't understand this. The media release says "The 32-year-old is signed through the next two seasons at a reasonable $5.75-million cap hit, but a 12-team no-trade list can dictate where he is traded to, not to mention if he's willing to waive it to spend the final years of his career with an expansion club. Fleury has a NMC and not a NTC so I don't understand why he would have to provide any kind of list. The NHL CBA describes a NMC as:

A No-Movement Clause prohibits a team from moving a player by trade, loan or waivers, or assigning that player to the minors without the player's consent.

Something is off with this media release. He can't have a contract that calls for a list of 12 teams as that would contravene the CBA NMC definition.

He doesn't have a full NMC, it's a limited NMC/Modified NTC

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He doesn't have a full NMC, it's a limited NMC/Modified NTC

Yeah, it's one of those weird hybrid clauses we've seen show up in contracts written over the past few years. Modified NTC with a NMC. 

In the past, NMC meant no movement, full stop. No trades. No AHL. And that's still the case with players that have a clear NMC.

Hybrid clauses, like Fleury's "modified NTC, NMC," mean that the modified NTC determines the limits of the trade protection, and the NMC is generally understood as protection from AHL assignments.

At some point, the NHL determined that "no movement" applied to the expansion draft, so players with hybrid clauses must be put on the protected list (because of their NMC), even though they don't have full trade protection (because of their modified NTC).

3 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

imagine we ended up with Fleury if we walk from Miller because he wants to be near LA for his wife and sign Fleury.. could be a good mentor for Marky

Marky doesn't need a mentor at this point......

2 hours ago, Devon Jade said:

Miller for Penguins' 1st and Fluery?

Something like this could work. Very realistic proposal. Pens 1st is going to be between 25th and 30th and they get Miller who has played great for the playoff run just incase the kid falters. 

Otherwise to make a trade the Pens are going to have to take a bad contract back and I don't think they want that. 

16 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Something like this could work. Very realistic proposal. Pens 1st is going to be between 25th and 30th and they get Miller who has played great for the playoff run just incase the kid falters. 

Otherwise to make a trade the Pens are going to have to take a bad contract back and I don't think they want that. 

Do you think Miller would want to go to Pittsburgh as rental?  I think he has a NVM or No Trade type of contract as well.  

19 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Wouldn't we have to protect MAF?  I thought he had one of those nasty NMCs.  Or would we buy him out?

5 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

Do you think Miller would want to go to Pittsburgh as rental?  I think he has a NVM or No Trade type of contract as well.  

He might as PIT is a Cup contender and MIller doesn't have a Cup yet.

Miller has played great and if he feels he can take the nets from the kid in PIT then why not. 

Just now, Alflives said:

If we come out with Pittsburgh's first I'm all in.  It's a really good idea.  

It's possible. MAF sucks and can't be depended on in the playoffs. PIT gets Miller who's been great this year and get rid of a terrible contract. 

We get a late 1st. It will be tough to trade that contract in the summer but it could be done. Look at TO, they got rid of 2 terrible contracts, much worse and longer than MAF.

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

It's possible. MAF sucks and can't be depended on in the playoffs. PIT gets Miller who's been great this year and get rid of a terrible contract. 

We get a late 1st. It will be tough to trade that contract in the summer but it could be done. Look at TO, they got rid of 2 terrible contracts, much worse and longer than MAF.

MAF might be great on a team with no pressure.  Maybe Arizona or Vegas?  

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

MAF might be great on a team with no pressure.  Maybe Arizona or Vegas?  

9 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Um ... did you mean Fleury or Miller ?   To my memory, last time Miller tried something like this, it didn't go over very well ... Miller in St. Louis.  

1 minute ago, Neversummer said:

Um ... did you mean Fleury or Miller ?   To my memory, last time Miller tried something like this, it didn't go over very well ... Miller in St. Louis.  

MAF = Fleury. 

Miller had one go at it with STL. How often does something like that work out. STL traded for Gretzky to play with Hull at the trade deadline too. Didn't work out. Does it mean Gretzky sucked in playoffs? 

Fleury has sucked for years in the playoffs. That's been the story in PIT every playoff. 

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, it's one of those weird hybrid clauses we've seen show up in contracts written over the past few years. Modified NTC with a NMC. 

In the past, NMC meant no movement, full stop. No trades. No AHL. And that's still the case with players that have a clear NMC.

Hybrid clauses, like Fleury's "modified NTC, NMC," mean that the modified NTC determines the limits of the trade protection, and the NMC is generally understood as protection from AHL assignments.

At some point, the NHL determined that "no movement" applied to the expansion draft, so players with hybrid clauses must be put on the protected list (because of their NMC), even though they don't have full trade protection (because of their modified NTC).

Sid & Forsberg, thanks for the clarification. Had no idea there was a modified NMC.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

He hasn't had any trade value for couple of seasons. If anything he's had negative trade value. 

and moreso as I mentioned, its not like GM's are so blind they cant decipher the situation on their own, and now somehow because Pits mentioned it they would be like "oh darn we had no idea they were had a goaltending/protection issue with expansion coming! who knew, thankfully they told us! lol' - if any GM needing a goalie wasn't already able to determine this on their own, they shouldn't have their job!

The minute expansion rules were announced, every gm analyzed his own team, and as importantly, other teams and their expected challenges /handcuff situations  to see where he may have leverage to get some players on the cheap. Basic management

Archived