The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tar Sands being Phased out......

kingofsurrey

Finally some great news for our environment.....  Hopefully we can start cutting production in the next few years.

From the PM. 

During the town hall on Friday, Trudeau said it is the responsibility of Canadians to get our resources to market, but that it should be done “responsibly and be sustainable” and suggested Canada may eventually move to phase out the oilsands

http://globalnews.ca/news/3180011/trudeau-under-fire-for-saying-hell-phase-out-oilsands/

Everyone has known this for decades, however you and some others would rather keep our vast resources in the ground. That's silly, irresponsible and even Trudeau knows that. I assume you have know first hand knowledge of the oil industry at all. Folks like Forsberg, labamba and myself understand we will be transitioning to cleaner alternatives, however these things don't happen overnight. 

We need to keep extracting oil and selling it to invest in new technologies and greener futures. Look at the impact the oil slow down has had on Canada. You would like us to stop all together, that's crazy. Canada's oil industry is among the safest and most environmentally friendly in the World.

No other Countries citizens try and hurt their Country like you and so many others do. It's sad really. But lets go cut down more trees right?

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Unless of course oil prices boom once again and become highly profitable.  Then the Canadian government and Canadian oil industry will fall in love with the tar sands all over again.

There is more then just the tar sands, it's so frustrating when certain people really don't know what they're talking about and just base facts of certain documentaries.

I have been in the oil industry a long time, let me tell you the oil industry in Canada is far safer in Canada then the U.S.

Post it all

"You can't make a choice between what's good for the environment and what's good for the economy," Trudeau said. "We can't shut down the oilsands tomorrow. We need to phase them out. We need to manage the transition off of our dependence on fossil fuels.

"That is going to take time. And in the meantime, we have to manage that transition."

He's saying the exact truth.  It's happening now as technologies become cheaper and more reliable.  We're slowly ending our dependence on fossil fuels for power and transportation.  We're still going to need it for pretty much everything else from cell phone protective covers to roofing shingles.

All he's doing is paying lip service to the environmental crowd.  And they're eating it up stupidly in the exact same way the pro oil/Alberta crowd is eating it up thinking he's going to try to shut them down tomorrow.

Stupid people, stupid people overreacting everywhere

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Post it all

"You can't make a choice between what's good for the environment and what's good for the economy," Trudeau said. "We can't shut down the oilsands tomorrow. We need to phase them out. We need to manage the transition off of our dependence on fossil fuels.

"That is going to take time. And in the meantime, we have to manage that transition."

He's saying the exact truth.  It's happening now as technologies become cheaper and more reliable.  We're slowly ending our dependence on fossil fuels for power and transportation.  We're still going to need it for pretty much everything else from cell phone protective covers to roofing shingles.

All he's doing is paying lip service to the environmental crowd.  And they're eating it up stupidly in the exact same way the pro oil/Alberta crowd is eating it up thinking he's going to try to shut them down tomorrow.

Stupid people, stupid people overreacting everywhere

You and me actually agree on ann energy topic. Wow!! Maybe we should have those drinks at the mug or the mill.

Btw I'm an oil guy and that response didn't make me think what you suggested. 

14 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

There is more then just the tar sands, it's so frustrating when certain people really don't know what they're talking about and just base facts of certain documentaries.

I have been in the oil industry a long time, let me tell you the oil industry in Canada is far safer in Canada then the U.S.

I'm not knocking Canada's oil industry.  I'm just stating an obvious fact.  Canada's greatest resource is its natural resources.  It will not let oil or any other resource stagnate if a lot of profit can be made. 

Yeah phase them out over the next 150 years.  He's just addressing a friendly crowd that wants to hear that type of answer and as a politician he'll say whatever pleases his audience.  Vague generalities.  He's knows the oilsands are a vital cog in the economic engine of Canada.  Not going to happen.  Oil prices are depressed right now NOT due to Liberal feds or NDP provincials BUT overproduction in the middle east.  OPEC announced cutbacks which helped buoy prices but further ones may still have to be made.  Don't forget both the US and Russia have vast reserves as well.  Canada does not set world prices.  It was said best in this thread that both the pro environmental and pro oil crowd will jump all over this..... like Oprah on a pot roast.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

You and me actually agree on ann energy topic. Wow!! Maybe we should have those drinks at the mug or the mill.

Btw I'm an oil guy and that response didn't make me think what you suggested. 

I listened to his speech.  I read the quotes.

He's not stupid, he knows where the money is coming from.  That's why Trans mountain etc were all approved in lightning speed

"Phasing out" could mean steps taken tomorrow that aren't implemented for 10 years and a reduction in 20

OPEC is the only thing threatening the oil sands right now

Archived