The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Teams Inquiring About F Alex Burrows

hiebskey

4 minutes ago, billabong said:

i.e to those hoping he'll resign in the offseason burrows won't be returning. This is a youth movement and his roster spot will be going to boeser

Burr should go win a cup in Montreal, and then come back here as a coach. 

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

Whoa don't forget, Trader Jim ALWAYS throws in a 2nd.

I would be down if Burr did get moved, get a 2nd or (and?) 3rd in return from a contender as others have mentioned.  It'd give Rodin a chance to show his stuff.

Hahaha, as long as they find a way to acquire Vey and include him in the deal then we'll take it. 

I agree, but personally I think it would still be nice to some way find a mentor for Bo and Baer should Burrows leave. What if Rodin works better on another line? What if Rodin doesn't have his knee ready yet? Who would we then stick on the Bo-Baer line? Should we move Eriksson down to that line? I've always had a good feeling about those three meshing together. 

If not, maybe we can acquire Eric Fehr and call it the Fehr BnB line. 

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

No, not really. If Jim got a call he'd pass it on to Burr's agent - who'd probably know about it already - and let Burr decide. He would never withhold an offer, but he's not going to go and ask him on any internal moves because Jim's not actively shopping any of our NTCs. 

I think Burr would go to Montreal, or maybe the Panthers since he's got bud's on that team. Otherwise he probably stays put. 

But people need to lower the expectations here... 2nd rounder, no. 3rd and a project prospect if we keep 1/2 the salary? Maybe. 

Doesn't JB's position make the player look to be running out on his teammates though?  I just don't see Burr, or Hansen as guys that would ever do that.  JB will have to go to Burr first, I think.  Does JB play the semantics game?  I don't see that in him either.  I know it's best for our rebuild to be trading these older guys for picks/prospects, but I don't see the players asking, and JB said he won't ask.  

I think there is no question that Burrows would and should be traded to Montreal.

He reveres the team, last time he said he would "pay to play on that ice".

Montreal gets a giritty warrior who has been deep in the dance before and as virtually the only francophone on the team would be a fan darling pretty quick because expectations would be low.

it would give me a team to cheer for in the playoffs.

2nd or 3rd rounder (more likely) is fair... the higher end if you are willing to eat half the salary to make it easier for Montreal to fit him and other adds in

That doesn't close the door on us signing him to a cheaper contract next year.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Doesn't JB's position make the player look to be running out on his teammates though?  I just don't see Burr, or Hansen as guys that would ever do that.  JB will have to go to Burr first, I think.  Does JB play the semantics game?  I don't see that in him either.  I know it's best for our rebuild to be trading these older guys for picks/prospects, but I don't see the players asking, and JB said he won't ask.  

Nah. The boys would be nothing but happy for Burr to get one more shot at a cup. 

I don't think its semantics at all. Jim's not shopping anyone, but if he gets a call he'll let the player decide. I think thats very respectful and some of the players have already said publicly they took it that way (I recall Edler saying that in an interview and I think one other but its eluding me at the moment). 

Same thing with Miller. Lets say ANA calls about him, and he decides to go. My guess is there would be nothing but support from the locker room for Miller. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Nah. The boys would be nothing but happy for Burr to get one more shot at a cup. 

I don't think its semantics at all. Jim's not shopping anyone, but if he gets a call he'll let the player decide. I think thats very respectful and some of the players have already said publicly they took it that way (I recall Edler saying that in an interview and I think one other but its eluding me at the moment). 

Same thing with Miller. Lets say ANA calls about him, and he decides to go. My guess is there would be nothing but support from the locker room for Miller. 

I think we will need to fall out of the playoff picture for any of the players to go.  Again, I know it's best regardless of our position, but hockey players just don't leave their mates during times of need.  Plus, if we are close to a playoff spot, can we JB (who couldn't pull the trigger the past two TDLs) trading away a veteran?  Yes, it should be done, but I really don't see it happening:(

Just now, Alflives said:

I think we will need to fall out of the playoff picture for any of the players to go.  Again, I know it's best regardless of our position, but hockey players just don't leave their mates during times of need.  Plus, if we are close to a playoff spot, can we JB (

who couldn't pull the trigger the past two TDLs

I'm gonna bust an artery if I have to keep reading that :P

Oh for sure, if they are in the hunt most if not all the boys would stick around. But even if one didn't I still think it would be hugs all around. They're pro's, on very very short career paths. Not one of them would hold a grudge over a guy taking his last shot. 

My gut tells me that we are going to be out of the race by the TDL. As much as I like Jim's approach about a winning culture, Willie can't win on the road. We'll slip down the standings over the next 6 weeks unless some combination of injuries or luck (e.g., Boucher turning out to be an instant stud) forces 'ol Wilbrod to find a way to win road games. 

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

I would be surprised if we could get any more than a third for Burrows. Would like to see him get a chance somewhere else. We are not contenders this year or next anyways. 

That return would be just fine. 

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I'm gonna bust an artery if I have to keep reading that :P

Oh for sure, if they are in the hunt most if not all the boys would stick around. But even if one didn't I still think it would be hugs all around. They're pro's, on very very short career paths. Not one of them would hold a grudge over a guy taking his last shot. 

My gut tells me that we are going to be out of the race by the TDL. As much as I like Jim's approach about a winning culture, Willie can't win on the road. We'll slip down the standings over the next 6 weeks unless some combination of injuries or luck (e.g., Boucher turning out to be an instant stud) forces 'ol Wilbrod to find a way to win road games. 

I'm not a tanker, and always cheer for us to win - every game.  But part of me knows you're right, and it's really best for our future if (through losing) JB is forced to accept he needs to trade away vets for futures.  JB worries me though.  I see him trading away a guy like Hutton for another 24 year old, who will help us now - stay mediocre - and close to the playoff bar:(

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

I don't blame you for hiding your head as a Willie supporter. 

5 wins on the road this season (http://canucks.ice.nhl.com/club/gamelog.htm?gameType=2&season=20162017&srt=date&venue=R)

Wait... I bet you have a reason why thats good. 

Nope, but not having last change to shelter players and maintain more ideal match ups on a young, mediocre, injury riddled and rebuilding team is likely a large reason for that record and completely out of his hands.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm not a tanker, and always cheer for us to win - every game.  But part of me knows you're right, and it's really best for our future if (through losing) JB is forced to accept he needs to trade away vets for futures.  JB worries me though.  I see him trading away a guy like Hutton for another 24 year old, who will help us now - stay mediocre - and close to the playoff bar:(

Really? Why? With all the angst over the Granlund deal that is - to many people's surprise - working out great. Guddy may yet as well, we need to see him healthy and not with a rookie partner. 

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

:picard:

There is truth to his claim. Canucks road record is terrible. They have the 3rd worst road record in the league with only 5 wins. ARZ has 5 and NYI has the worst with 4 wins. Canucks have the 7th best home record in the NHL. THis tells you coaching is a big factor. 

A coach has to do a lot more coaching on the road and proof is in the pudding. 

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Nope, but not having last change to shelter players and maintain more ideal match ups on a young, mediocre, injury riddled and rebuilding team is likely a large reason for that record and completely out of his hands.

Oh ok. I thought it was the get it done league. Where did I hear that one.......???

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Oh ok. I thought it was the get it done league. Where did I hear that one.......???

I'd say having us remotely in the playoff picture given those circumstances is 'getting it done'.

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

There is truth to his claim. Canucks road record is terrible.

Did I say it wasn't?

Archived