The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Retire Burrows' number?

Adarsh Sant

Burrows #14  

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok so I know I'm going to get some flack for this one but do you think it's possible that the Canucks retire Alex Burrows' #14?  He has one of the best stories in regards of making the NHL and he is one of the few Canucks to play over 800 games with the team.  All the other Canucks players who have played over 800 games have had their jersey retired, with exception to the Sedins who are still active (and we know that theirs will be retired for sure).  He has made a huge impact in the Vancouver community and on the ice.  He scored arguably the biggest goal in Canucks history (slaying the dragon).  He is hated around the league which is why we love him even more.  He has played with tenacity for 11 years and possibly 1 or 2 more to come.  Now I know his stats aren't pretty when compared to the other names hanging from the rafters, but he is a Canuck whose name will never be forgotten.  Do you think Burrows deserves to have his number retired?  My judgement may be impaired by the fact that he is one of my two favourite players ever.  

If not, should he be in the Ring of Honour? Thoughts? 

burrows.PNG

I know games played isn't always the most important factor, but consider that this guy was in the ECHL at one point.

Hes a great guy, solid point totals esp undrafted. 

I am a Burrows fan, really its because of how he plays. When he doesnt play hard, i wont be all sentimental when a young guy takes his spot. 

Ive enjoyed apsects of his grit , however the finger biting, diving and ref debacle kind of kill the buzz. 

Id go ROH for sure but to me his number doesnt make the rafters.

ring of honour for sure

service time is not enough as the sole criteria

he is only 14th in points as an offensive player

if we are to consider adding another player to retire (besides the sedins of course)

i think thomas gradin is worthy of greater consideration than burrows

and i am a huge burrows fan

that guy came out of no where to have a superb career

gradin simply was better and also had significant service time

and at some time we will need to consider luongo as well

can't get the rafters too cluttered :rolleyes:

Burrows is one of the most successful undrafted players in league history.  He is the poster child for outside the box, player development, longshot success stories of the Canucks, if not the league.

That being said:  RoH.

I would like to see him stay on after he is done here in some capacity.

Burrows, a Canuck for life.

7 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

ring of honour for sure

service time is not enough as the sole criteria

he is only 14th in points as an offensive player

if we are to consider adding another player to retire (besides the sedins of course)

i think thomas gradin is worthy of greater consideration than burrows

and i am a huge burrows fan

that guy came out of no where to have a superb career

gradin simply was better and also had significant service time

and at some time we will need to consider luongo as well

can't get the rafters too cluttered :rolleyes:

Yeah that is a fair point, but Gradin is already in the ROH so we can't really retire his number.  With Luongo however there is one issue. After this season he will have played more as a Panther than as a Canuck.  With that being said, is it still right to retire his number? He deserves it, but playing the majority of your career with a different team is odd.

2 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Yeah that is a fair point, but Gradin is already in the ROH.  With Luongo however there is one issue. After this season he will have played more as a Panther than as a Canuck.  With that being said, is it still right to retire his number? He deserves it but playing the majority of your career with a different team is odd.

his elite years were with the canucks

he played for them in his prime

he went to the stanley cup finals with them

he won 2 olympic medals as a canuck

unless he wins a cup with florida

his career will be weighed mostly how on he performed with the canucks

much like bure

who went into the hof as a canuck

luongo should do the same when the hof calls him

Just now, coastal.view said:

his elite years were with the canucks

he played for them in his prime

he went to the stanley cup finals with them

he won 2 olympic medals as a canuck

unless he wins a cup with florida

his career will be weighed mostly how he performed with the canucks

much like bure

who went into the hof as a canuck

luongo should do the same when the hof calls him

Yeah ok you've convinced me. Always good to have people to make you see things from a different perspective :)

23 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

No. To me, you only retiree numbers of guys who, when you think of the team, the first thing that comes to mind is that player. The Sedins, and Luongo are the three guys I'd retire their numbers out of the great Canucks teams of 2009-2012

Luongo really?? The guy who asked for a trade out of town? Here for what, about 6 years... forget it, not a Canuck for long enough.

25 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Yeah ok you've convinced me. Always good to have people to make you see things from a different perspective :)

oh and i forgot to add

he is the only goalie to have signed that ugly contract that the nhl so hated

and as a result the rule is named after him

the luongo rule penalizing such contracts

makes him notorious too in nhl lore

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/luongo-rule-nhl-cba-punish-cap-circumventing-contracts-153717517--nhl.html

20 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Yeah that is a fair point, but Gradin is already in the ROH so we can't really retire his number.  With Luongo however there is one issue. After this season he will have played more as a Panther than as a Canuck.  With that being said, is it still right to retire his number? He deserves it, but playing the majority of your career with a different team is odd.

Although very true. We've paid him the longest (still paying). He is literally still 15% ours. On paper anyways. But not on the ice. 

At this rate if the Canucks ever win a cup then they'll probably have to retire another 10 numbers.

There's been some great players on this team but too much celebration of overall mediocrity. In my opinion the only numbers that should be in the rafters as of now are 16 and 10, the others belong in the RoH with Burrows included some day.

Archived