The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Retire Burrows' number?

Adarsh Sant

Burrows #14  

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Captain Azzy said:

The Lightning won a Cup and only just retired their first number. Our rafters are a tribute to failure and one we should disassociate ourselves from.

I mean, I liked Markus Naslund - but to say no-one can ever wear his # again? He wasn't THAT good.

Really? Cuz' he scored over 100 points in a season as a Canuck, & piled up a lot of points in the Orca jersey. 

The number is retired for the team because Naslund is certainly one of the best players the Canucks have ever had. It's well deserved.

14 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Really? Cuz' he scored over 100 points in a season as a Canuck, & piled up a lot of points in the Orca jersey. 

The number is retired for the team because Naslund is certainly one of the best players the Canucks have ever had. It's well deserved.

This team has only retired numbers because we've been going 40+ years and not won anything, and it would look stupid to have no numbers up in the rafters. 

If Naslund had been a Blackhawk, Red Wing, Maple Leaf, Ranger, Islander etc - and not won anything - he'd barely scrape their version of the ROH.

When 22 and 33 are up there - the only truly justifiable ones - we're going to have loads of numbers retired, a ROH, and zero Cups. We're a laughing stock because we applaud mediocrity.

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd be for it. 

Logged in just to plus this haha. The guy honestly bleeds blue and green harder than the twins, you can't deny that. If it came down to a vote and I was forced to participate, I couldn't bring myself to say no. 

As if we couldn't already thank the guy enough, he goes and steps up his game when we all figured he was done and guides Bo and Sven into their top line role. 

Retirements not going to happen but good luck to the next guy that wears number 14 for this team. 

7 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Cujo:  943 games....0.906 save percentage (pretty average)...454 wins  (more of a "team stat" IMHO like GAA though Lou has Cujo beat on that one)  51 shutouts

Luongo:  956 games...0.919 save percentage definately NOT average)...449 wins   73 shutouts

Compare their playoff statistics. Cujo bombs Luongo in games played, wins, and shutouts with arguably weaker teams.

Luongo was great during the regular season but overall has sucked in the playoffs. That'll probably hurt his chances of getting into the hall right away, if at all. He might have to wait as long as Cujo.

6 hours ago, canuktravella said:

cujo never won a cup not sure what your talking about did eddie the eagle even win one maybe with dallas but not sure

Yeah.

Belfour

- Calder

- 2 Vezinas

- 4 Jennings

- 3 Stanley Cup Finals with 1 win in 1999.

10 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Who are all the honeree's anyway?

Number[8] Name Position Years With Club Date of Induction Notes Ref
25 Orland Kurtenbach Centre 1970–1974 October 26, 2010 First captain in franchise history. [1]
1 Kirk McLean Goaltender 1987–1998 November 24, 2010 Franchise leader in several goal tending statistics.a [9]
23 Thomas Gradin Centre
Scout
1978–1986: as a player
1994–present: as a scout
January 24, 2011 Former highest scoring centre in franchise history.b [10]
27 Harold Snepsts Defenceman 1974–1984
1987–1990
March 14, 2011 Former franchise leader in games played and penalty minutes.c [11]
3 Pat Quinn Defenceman
Head Coach
General Manager
President
1970–1972: as a player
1987–1997: as management
April 13, 2014 Won the 1992 Jack Adams Award.
Head coach and GM of the 1994 Stanley Cup Finalist team
[12][13]
2 Mattias Öhlund Defenceman 1997–2009 December 16, 2016 Highest scoring defensemen in franchise history

I think Burrows should make this list.  A lot of parallels in games played and being a fan favourite to Snepsts.

There is a reason when you watch games at different arenas the players you see hanging in the rafters have serious name recognition.  All Stars...HHOF inductees.  Watched lots of games in Montreal and Ottawa the last seven years and the guys they have hanging are lengendary.  We shouldn't dilute things by adding Burrows.  Love him though

..But then again I loved Jovo Babych Bieksa McLean Mogilny Tanti Luongo too.  

22 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I think that retiring numbers should start after a cup win only.

Ouch.  Sad but true.  St Louis Vancouver Buffalo fans deserve a cup.  Expansion has got to the point where the difficulty of odds of winning a cup is enourmous. Even TO hasn't won since expansion but I don't feel bad for them because well they suck.  

8 hours ago, Zhukini said:

There's no need to celebrate mesiocracy, you move away from it as fast as possible and distance yourself as far as you can.

I hate participation awards, and this is one.

I would not call Trevor Linden Pavel Bure Markus naslund Stan smyl Kirk McLean Tomas gradin Harold snepsts pat Quinn or Orland kurtenbach participation awards....

Stop being such a doom and gloomer

Here's why retired.

We'd win the Burr argument.  The one the NHL has battled hard to prove a point on, that would be the final word.  We'd decide.

And I wouldn't invite Ron Mclean, Augure or that O'Sullivan guy to the party.

Burr is a perfect example of the work ethic ALL aspiring NHL'ers should carry.  The never say die, dragon slayer message of possibilities.  I'd want his thread to be scrolled through on the big screen, in the background.  I'll sing or somethin. 

6 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

This team has only retired numbers because we've been going 40+ years and not won anything, and it would look stupid to have no numbers up in the rafters. 

If Naslund had been a Blackhawk, Red Wing, Maple Leaf, Ranger, Islander etc - and not won anything - he'd barely scrape their version of the ROH.

When 22 and 33 are up there - the only truly justifiable ones - we're going to have loads of numbers retired, a ROH, and zero Cups. We're a laughing stock because we applaud mediocrity.

Lets say we won the cup in both 1994 and 2011.  Does that change the numbers that we have retired, or will retire? Bure and Linden (1994) are already up there and the Sedins (2011) will be up there.  How does winning those 2 cups change the numbers that we retire? Of course it is much better to retire people who have won a cup, but aren't retiring numbers supposed to honour their entire careers?  A career isn't defined by number of cups won.  Look at Ovechkin. He may retire with less cups won than Ben Eager. You can disagree on Burrows, but I don't think winning any cups should define numbers retired by a team.

Edit: Caps have 4 numbers retired like us and will likely have 5 or 6 after Ovi and Backstrom retire. St.Louis Blues have 6 numbers retired as well.  Both teams have 0 cups.

1 hour ago, Riviera82 said:

Compare their playoff statistics. Cujo bombs Luongo in games played, wins, and shutouts with arguably weaker teams.

Luongo was great during the regular season but overall has sucked in the playoffs. That'll probably hurt his chances of getting into the hall right away, if at all. He might ?have to wait as long as Cujo.

Games played & wins (regular season or playoffs) is more a team stat  (see Marcel Dionne vs Craig MacTavish as centers).  Same with GA (which is about the same anyhow).

Shutouts sure but what about save percentage?   About the same.

Weaker teams?  You can make an argument while Luongo was on the better team for a few years - but Cujo was on solid teams for a longer period of time.  Case in point?  Remember one of our playoff series against the Stars?  Turco had three shutouts against us & still lost the series.  That's the kind of offensive production support Luongo often got in the post-season.  Yeah Luongo sucked *in parts* of the Finals in 2011 - but he also had offensive support to the tune of like 8 goals in 7 games!  Luongo ain't Terry Sawchuk.

I'm not claiming Luongo is WAY better than Cujo; I don't see the gap between the two is as big to mean if 'one doesn't get in the HHOF, the other shouldn't".

Anyhow, we'll have to agree to disagee as I've taken this thread OT enough as it is...

12 hours ago, xereau said:

Burrows is one of the most successful undrafted players in league history.  He is the poster child for outside the box, player development, longshot success stories of the Canucks, if not the league.

That being said:  RoH.

I would like to see him stay on after he is done here in some capacity.

Burrows, a Canuck for life.

Well said. 

Ring of honour %100 but definitely not retired. 

12 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

No. To me, you only retiree numbers of guys who, when you think of the team, the first thing that comes to mind is that player. The Sedins, and Luongo are the three guys I'd retire their numbers out of the great Canucks teams of 2009-2012

I agree to a point. Luongo does not deserve to have his number retired by the team. All I think of when I hear luongo is crybaby. Some highlights for me include throwing his teammates under the bus on repeated occasions, signing a contract he thought was stupid, and his awful poetry. Other highlights include when he was in his prime with us and was an amazing goalie. His last couple years here were crap.

Burrows deserves to be in the ring of honor. His number should not be retired.

Archived