The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Retire Burrows' number?

Adarsh Sant

Burrows #14  

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Put Burrows into the RoH, he deserves that much. He was a huge piece of that team that made the finals run, and a big piece in all the years since. Even before that finals run, as a less offensive player, he got things done on the PK and was part of that Kesler/Burrows checking line before they both took off offensively.

Burrows slayed the dragon.

Burrows scored that goal against Carolina that turned us around out of that 10 game losing streak or whatever it was, back then.

Images of Burrows shooting the arrow up to the sky for Luc Bourdon is a big part of the Canucks over the past years as well.

He was a big piece of the Sedins winning back to back Art Ross trophies as well.

I'd like to see his number retired. He was 1) the best winger the Twins ever had, and likely a key component of why those two posted great numbers for about 5-6 years, and 2) he is a shining example of what hard work can do. How many hockey players have gone undrafted, almost literally fought their way through the ECHL, and then the AHL, before finally getting to the NHL and lasting 10+ years.

He may not be a great example for "gentlemanly" play; the only time he would come near a Lady Byng trophy is if someone else brought it into the room. But...guys like Virtanen, Grenier, and any other player that has skill but no work ethic. They need to realize what hard work can accomplish, even with lesser talent.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:
Number[8] Name Position Years With Club Date of Induction Notes Ref
25 Orland Kurtenbach Centre 1970–1974 October 26, 2010 First captain in franchise history. [1]
1 Kirk McLean Goaltender 1987–1998 November 24, 2010 Franchise leader in several goal tending statistics.a [9]
23 Thomas Gradin Centre
Scout
1978–1986: as a player
1994–present: as a scout
January 24, 2011 Former highest scoring centre in franchise history.b [10]
27 Harold Snepsts Defenceman 1974–1984
1987–1990
March 14, 2011 Former franchise leader in games played and penalty minutes.c [11]
3 Pat Quinn Defenceman
Head Coach
General Manager
President
1970–1972: as a player
1987–1997: as management
April 13, 2014 Won the 1992 Jack Adams Award.
Head coach and GM of the 1994 Stanley Cup Finalist team
[12][13]
2 Mattias Öhlund Defenceman 1997–2009 December 16, 2016 Highest scoring defensemen in franchise history

I think Burrows should make this list.  A lot of parallels in games played and being a fan favourite to Snepsts.

Surprised Smyl isn't on there. Arguablly one of most venerated captains ever.

18 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Surprised Smyl isn't on there. Arguablly one of most venerated captains ever.

His number is retired...

Right now I wouldn't put Burrows in the Ring of Honour. I think a lot depends on the rest of his Canucks career (and post career if he goes to the Canucks head office.

15 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Luongo really?? The guy who asked for a trade out of town? Here for what, about 6 years... forget it, not a Canuck for long enough.

Luongo- 448 games played

Bure- 428 games played

So I guess you're opposed to Bure's number being retired. A lot of similarities between Bure and Luongo.

12 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Games played & wins (regular season or playoffs) is more a team stat  (see Marcel Dionne vs Craig MacTavish as centers).  Same with GA (which is about the same anyhow).

Shutouts sure but what about save percentage?   About the same.

Weaker teams?  You can make an argument while Luongo was on the better team for a few years - but Cujo was on solid teams for a longer period of time.  Case in point?  Remember one of our playoff series against the Stars?  Turco had three shutouts against us & still lost the series.  That's the kind of offensive production support Luongo often got in the post-season.  Yeah Luongo sucked *in parts* of the Finals in 2011 - but he also had offensive support to the tune of like 8 goals in 7 games!  Luongo ain't Terry Sawchuk.

I'm not claiming Luongo is WAY better than Cujo; I don't see the gap between the two is as big to mean if 'one doesn't get in the HHOF, the other shouldn't".

Anyhow, we'll have to agree to disagee as I've taken this thread OT enough as it is...

Part of the argument toward Luongo being inducted into the hall is his number of games played and wins, yet it appears that you're dismissing that as a team stat. If Luongo doesn't have all the regular season wins then he doesn't have a leg to stand on as far as getting into the hall.

Cujo played for pretty ordinary teams in St.Louis, Edmonton, and Toronto and still did better in the playoffs than Luongo did with some pretty strong Canuck teams.

Luongo didn't get a lot of goal support in certain playoff series', we'll agree on that. However there were other series' (Chicago '09, '10) where he got more than enough support and yet still imploded.

Cujo was a 'big game' player who carried lesser teams whereas Luongo routinely played small and let himself be embarrassed.

1 hour ago, Riviera82 said:

Cujo played for pretty ordinary teams in St.Louis, Edmonton, and Toronto and still did better in the playoffs than Luongo did with some pretty strong Canuck teams.

Let's be fair, a number of those teams Cujo was on were hardly just pretty ordinary:

Cujo:

1990-91.........Blues 2nd overall  ****essentially a rookie****
1991-92.........Blues 11th overall
1992-93.........Blues 16th overall
1993-94.........Blues 11th overall
1994-95.........Blues 4th overall
1995-96.........Oilers 21st overall
1996-97.........Oilers 13th overall
1997-98.........Oilers 15th overall
1998-99.........Laffs 5th overall
1999-00.........Laffs 7th overall

2000-01.........Laffs 14th overall
2001-02.........Laffs 3rd overall

2002-03.........Dead Wings 3rd overall
2003-04.........Dead Wings 1st overall

I think Luongo was the starter in three "game 7s" & was two out of three.  Unfortunately for us, he lost the important one.:(

No argument that Luongo did play for some teams that were VERY strong compared to Cujo; however, he also played a fair number of seasons for teams far weaker than Cujo ever had to be part of.

Archived