The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Devils @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

58 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

At least he's consistent. The only change comes when someone gets injured. Our coach doesn't coach. 

i have been wondering about that. Is there another coach who is harder on his Black Aces than Willie? 

I think he rotated Skille and Virt a few times before Virt got sent down and healthy scratched Baer once, and that is the extent of his use of "bench strength" all year.

Is there a stat for coaches using (or not) their black aces? 

What a snooze fest. No hitting, no emotion. Nucks are lucky to have a point. Had that bizarre   goal counted the Nucks would have been sunk. I feel for the folk who paid good money to watch the game live. At least they saw some OT. Bo, Gaunce, and  Megna were were below par. Megna on PP is perplexing. Burrows et al. must really be shaking their heads. Guy has speed and that's it. I really look forward to Hansen and Guddy returning.

28 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I think if Henrik started in on Willie at all, even minutely,  the local media's collective head would explode and it would be a massive distraction to the team. 

Sedins will never say anything remotely close to raising a question about their coach, no matter how much idiotic decisions he makes. We all know that much. Maybe they'll talk with management but never to the media.

I just think as the captain Hank can/should address his team's performance (or lack thereof) more directly to wake them up occasionally. You can be diplomatic only for so long and after a while it begins falling on deaf ears (players and fans alike).

9 minutes ago, 1-d said:

Sedins will never say anything remotely close to raising a question about their coach, no matter how much idiotic decisions he makes. We all know that much. Maybe they'll talk with management but never to the media.

I just think as the captain Hank can/should address his team's performance (or lack thereof) more directly to wake them up occasionally. You can be diplomatic only for so long and after a while it begins falling on deaf ears (players and fans alike).

& why would he ? Willie's their yes-man, fergawdsakes.

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Constantly working hard but giving away that final point.  Can't be doing that in hopes of making the playoffs

I thought they came out slow in the second period.  It looked like Chaput was dogging it at times and the pp had zero urgency.

ugh I got more out of installing baseboard in my kitchen today.

Man, oh man.

Got the proverbial frozen mukluk in de'harse, roasted & locked last wk, for suggesting we waste a protection-slot on only 1 twin. Can anyone here give a viable reason why they'd wanna use 2 spots, & cough up a further 14 mill, for another 15 mos of "the pleasure" of these "1st line" shifts?

Sorry boys..they can do rock, scissors, paper(speaking of it). One of 'em take one for the team!

1 hour ago, 1-d said:

To be fair he's running out of things to say too... But yeah I think sometimes a captain needs to shoot straight instead of being diplomatic all the tlme, to keep his team checked in.

But when it's all said and done he'll be remembered as a hero, have his jersey retired, etc. He'll be remembered as a great, and deservedly so. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

That was an ugly, boring game to watch. There' gotta be more to give but I doubt we'll see it with WD at the helm.

Much better when we used to lose 7-5 to the Oilers, and the game had 4 fights, players jawing at each other, all kinds of hits and 2 on 1s. That was just garbage. I prefer a tame match with a few goal posts, around 4 hits, $120 seats, and 3 minutes of thrilling OT.

The question for all Canucks fans is this:

How many games will we need to watch this season where WD squanders his PP opportunities by refusing to change the ineffective current units?

Remember the #1 PP unit roster and plan last game???  Well big surprise, it was the same this game...  :huh:

And big surprise, what did the #1 unit do?   A big fat NOTHING.

Really, this is a Junior A level coaching decision which Willie has failed to act on.

Is there something in the Sedin's contract that says they both have to be on the PP and they both have to be on the same unit???

I'd be surprised if there was.

Come on WD get your brain around the facts, it's time for a change.

---

On the humour side of things... had to laugh as Tara Stone got her knickers in a knot swooning over Guddy...  :lol:

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

good luck with a 12% powerplay efficiency

At this rate, if they do score one measly goal in next 3-4 games, we won't ever see any change to PP unit.   Just an epic fail, imo.  He will extend the unit with a lifeline for another 3-4 games and if they do score after 4th game and it will continue until they went through 8 games drought on PP before he finally changes it up.  At this rate, it will become insanity.    Didn't we went through a PP drought for more than 5 games and yet no change to the unit?   Talk is cheap, Willie.  

Just an simple solution to this problem, split up the Sedins and spread the talent on PP and you'll see some life to it.  Of course, during 5 on 5 play, keep the Sedins together.  

My solution:

PP1

Burrows-Horvat-Daniel Sedin-Baerstchi-Stecher

PP2

Granlund-Henrik Sedin-Eriksson-Sutter-Edler

Extra substation to PP unit for minor adjustments

Rodin, Hansen, Trymakin for goalie screening, and Tanev for 2nd D pairing during PP with different formations. 

That's my solution with some flexibility on tinkering just as long as the Sedins is the primary passer on both units. 

Archived