The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Here's the thing: JB should get rid of Megna now

Horvats_Big_Head

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

A huge difference between Megna and Vey, is that Vey had and has way more natural talent. Megna is a scrub who skates. I'd rather see Chaput stay up than Megna. At least Chaput is a banger that makes the fourth line click. Megna's stick is where plays go to die.

Spoken like a guy who sees only what he wants. 

Megna can pass AND keep a move going, open your eyes. There were a barrow load of failures in that game but the worst were on much larger salaries.

Your also wrong about where plays go to die - that is more and more becoming the Twins.

1 hour ago, Riviera82 said:

But they've never been checkers before though and they're certainly not fast enough to do it now. As a third line without all of the O-zone starts, checking assignments, and less powerplay time the Sedins would look even more useless than they do right now. If they should now be third-liners then maybe they should just retire instead.

Exactly. Maybe then we could have a team all reading from the same hymn sheet - speed.

While they are withering we have a team with a split personality and 2/3 players playing a game of their own.

I hate to be this hard on two players I have idolised but they are making it plain now they feel immune from responsibility or criticism. Funny how 5 years ago their modesty in taking blame for things in the the game that went wrong, especially when they were in no way responsible, used to annoy me - now they don't seem to accept blame for anything.

Just now, alfstonker said:

Spoken like a guy who sees only what he wants. 

Coming from you....that's rich.

Megna can pass AND keep a move going, open your eyes. There were a barrow load of failures in that game but the worst were on much larger salaries.

Yes Megna can pass, and "keep a move going". The Charleston? The Twist? He's a player with a limited skill set who is being given icetime way over his pay grade. He should be back with the Comets. They need some help at forward right now, and Megna's capabilities would be far more potent there right now.

And yes, the Sedins are playing some sad hockey right now, but hopefully WD will actually decide to leave Eriksson there for more than one game so that, just maybe, some of that unique chemistry can occur.

Your also wrong about where plays go to die - that is more and more becoming the Twins.

True, but the line with Eriksson did score. How many games did the Sedin - Sedin - Megna line go without a goal? Yes, the onus is primarily on the veterans to get things going, but here in Vancouver, for some reason, it doesn't happen.

Instead we hear stories about playing rock, paper, scissors whilst watching paint dry. Scintillating stuff for sure.

2 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

How out of that game you find reason to blame the twins is remarkable to me.  They played great and got a goal because they were finally playing with Eriksson. Megna isn't the problem, but he definitely isn't he solution. 

The problem is that we are at home against a team struggling to score below us in the standings and the coach says hey let's play this like a road game.  Trap trap trap trap...no surprise they score a bogus goal because you can't try to win games 1-0.  We loose 3 on 3 in overtime.  We have had our fair share of luck so can't complain there.  

Look willie isn't a bad coach, but he never adjusts.  We are doing better than expected, so we have that; but our schedule until February is very favorable.  Arguably, we should be better.  I know that the last couple of months are going to be tough.

the NJ game is definitely Willie's fault.  Our slow starts are also on Willie playing too defensive of a system.  We aren't good, he is sticking to the same lineup and worst of all we are not fun to watch.  

Exactly how I now feel about the twins.

How you can watch them now and not see their stubborn refusal to play a PP or 5 on 5 like they had team mates not called Sedin to pass to is unbelievable. 

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Coming from you....that's rich.

Yes Megna can pass, and "keep a move going". The Charleston? The Twist? He's a player with a limited skill set who is being given icetime way over his pay grade. He should be back with the Comets. They need some help at forward right now, and Megna's capabilities would be far more potent there right now.

That's just your opinion though

"Talent Analysis

Megna is by all accounts a late-bloomer, having played in the USHL until he was 21 and playing one season of college hockey before signing an NHL entry-level contract. He possesses above average speed and skill and has shown to have good one-on-one abilities and soft hands in tight. He is a willing combatant in the corners."

And yes, the Sedins are playing some sad hockey right now, but hopefully WD will actually decide to leave Eriksson there for more than one game so that, just maybe, some of that unique chemistry can occur.

I hope it does but remember they have already played together - not with much success as I recall.

True, but the line with Eriksson did score. How many games did the Sedin - Sedin - Megna line go without a goal? Yes, the onus is primarily on the veterans to get things going, but here in Vancouver, for some reason, it doesn't happen.

My fear is when we meet a more pro active team the Loui will not have the speed and be unable to cope with the Twins giveaways.

Instead we hear stories about playing rock, paper, scissors whilst watching paint dry. Scintillating stuff for sure.

?????:blink::blink::blink:

8 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Exactly how I now feel about the twins.

How you can watch them now and not see their stubborn refusal to play a PP or 5 on 5 like they had team mates not called Sedin to pass to is unbelievable. 

They are what they are. Its like asking Biega to go be the next Salo. Its on Willie to force the Sedin's to try something new. 

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

It boggles my mind that we can go through all these important 4 point games recently and not make up any ground on teams yet Willie keeps his job

we have the roster

(excluding Megna) to make the playoffs we just need a coach that can actually coach. You know basic stuff like:

1) chose a competent starting lineup and lines that can have success 

2) make in game adjustments 

3) match lines

4) not take bench minors for too many players on the ice 

5) know when to lose it on the team and the refs (game management) 

For or those of you that feel this roster can not compete I suggest you look at Columbus roster player for player and compare them to our roster. You will see the one difference - coach competence 

Embarrassing. 

Do you have this on a sticky for copy and post purposes? 

Most of this was wrong the last time you posted it and it's still wrong.

4 minutes ago, alfstonker said:
That's just your opinion though

"Talent Analysis

Megna is by all accounts a late-bloomer, having played in the USHL until he was 21 and playing one season of college hockey before signing an NHL entry-level contract. He possesses above average speed and skill and has shown to have good one-on-one abilities and soft hands in tight. He is a willing combatant in the corners."

Cool. I don't hate on Megna. As stated previously, he's been given (unduly) ice time above his pay grade. He's made the most of it, and who wouldn't?

I hope it does but remember they have already played together - not with much success as I recall.

And remember that Willie didn't give them time to work out the kinks. He should have just left them to work it out. They clearly have chemistry, and merely taking that chemistry and putting it in a rink with smaller dimensions shouldn't have equated to it disappearing. Eriksson was moving to a new team, with all new coaching, travel schedules, et al. Adjustment takes time. Shouldn't Willie realize that?

My fear is when we meet a more pro active team the Loui will not have the speed and be unable to cope with the Twins giveaways.

The Loui. I like the ring of that. It's up to the Sedins to shore up their ridiculously sloppy play as of late. If they can't, they might need to realize that this is their last contract with the team. While I've harped on them somewhat recently, crappy passing was never part of their forte, and I can't see a justifiable reason as to why it is happening with the frequency it is.

?????:blink::blink::blink:

Yeah, that makes sense.

37 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And remember that Willie didn't give them time to work out the kinks. He should have just left them to work it out. They clearly have chemistry, and merely taking that chemistry and putting it in a rink with smaller dimensions shouldn't have equated to it disappearing. Eriksson was moving to a new team, with all new coaching, travel schedules, et al. Adjustment takes time. Shouldn't Willie realize that?

Its the one thing Willie diddn't have to diddle with, and its the first major thing he did. And then the ongoing gift of top line and PP time for Megna.

Thats why I can't stand him as a coach. He doesn't seem to know when to leave things alone, or when a change is actually needed. Injuries are what has forced Willie to find good combinations by accident this year, literally by accident. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Its the one thing Willie diddn't have to diddle with, and its the first major thing he did.

Horse #$%@.

I called them not working well together 5v5 in the NHL before we even signed EK. I'd split them back up in a heart beat when Hansen is back too. 

If you weren't living in a  myopic anti-WD tunnel vision universe, you might grasp that why.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Horse #$%@.

I called them not working well together 5v5 in the NHL before we even signed EK. I'd split them back up in a heart beat when Hansen is back too. 

If you weren't living in a  myopic anti-WD tunnel vision universe, you might grasp that why.

You "called it". Where, lunch with Jim? 

I grasp that they've had a lot of success together. Please spare me the perfect Sedin partner theory this time OK?

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

You "called it". Where, lunch with Jim? 

I grasp that they've had a lot of success together. Please spare me the perfect Sedin partner theory this time OK?

Numerous threads pre-free agency where people where arguing Eriksson vs Lucic vs Okposo vs Brouwer etc as UFA targets. That's where.

Why you'd continue to ignore the type of player they've seen the most success with or the fact that they're 36 and weren't fast when they weren't 36 etc as pretty key factors in who they might pair best with is beyond me.

Further tunnel vision and the same inability to be objective due to clear bias you mentioned in the other thread strikes again.

Just now, J.R. said:

Numerous threads pre-free agency where people where arguing Eriksson vs Lucic vs Okposo vs Brouwer etc as UFA targets. That's where.

Why you'd continue to ignore the type of player they've seen the most success with or the fact that they're 36 and weren't fast when they weren't 36 etc as pretty key factors in who they might pair best with is beyond me.

Further tunnel vision and the same inability to be objective due to clear bias you mentioned in the other thread strikes again.

Whatever. You have your biases as well. 

If you ditch Megna, you also have to get rid of

Chaput and Skille... and whatever plug would replace his spot in the lineup.

i haven't been on the "bash Willy" bandwagon... but he certsinly seems to be playing not to lose badly, rather than playing to win.

There is risk to trying out Rodin or Boucher, but ther is also a lot more upside.  If we are going to really try to make the playoffs and win... we pretty much need to catch lightning in a bottle with on of those guys.

The statements about balanced lines, etc don't hold water when no one is scoring over such a long stretch.  Even trying something crazy like putting Tryamkin in front of the net on the PP would be in order to try to kick start things.  Lots of ideas won't work, but it is t working now so we don't have a ton to lose.

We win if the opposing team happens to be awful on a given night or we happen to get a good bounce or stellar goaltending.  We have hardly won at all this season because of flat out outplaying an opponent.

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Megna is not what caused the problems in that game. 

Do any of you watch how many open passes the twins pass up just so they can pass to each other, 99  times out of 100 leading to nothing. They are draining the life out of the team. Bo's line went AWOL. But all some of you can do is concentrate on a low paid AHL place filler.

It's so convenient to avoid criticising your favourites or even to ignore the fact we just don't have enough prime alternatives at present. For those harping on about giving more time to the 2nd PP, maybe you can see it's not as simple as that, they were cr-p too.

The Twins are in danger of tarnishing their legacy the more they play this "keep away" selfish game. They need to change. And please JB do not renew them, I am now at the stage I would rather lose every week than continue to watch their circus.

I think WD must now do something about the twins, rest them, split them up, anything but continue with the same boring perimeter BS they are serving up just now.

Agreed. Let's not take away from how hilarious this post was, I laughed so hard reading it! I actually don't think Megna is that bad, but you're right, CDC gotta blame somebody right - got ourselves the new Raymond.

I wonder how College free agents or other free agents will be affected by this "Megna" thing.  SEL MVP benched...Megna played over him and skilled players on PP and first line.  #21 signs as free agent for 6 mill does not play with top line or PP with Twins..but Megna does.   Pretty sure  a FA's Agent going to tell young players "no" if Canucks come calling and WD still here for last year of contract.

19 minutes ago, AlamoCanuck said:

I wonder how College free agents or other free agents will be affected by this "Megna" thing.  SEL MVP benched...Megna played over him and skilled players on PP and first line.  #21 signs as free agent for 6 mill does not play with top line or PP with Twins..but Megna does.   Pretty sure  a FA's Agent going to tell young players "no" if Canucks come calling and WD still here for last year of contract.

Rodin isn't healthy.

The Sedins and EK aren't a good match IMO.

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Megna is not what caused the problems in that game. 

Do any of you watch how many open passes the twins pass up just so they can pass to each other, 99  times out of 100 leading to nothing. They are draining the life out of the team. Bo's line went AWOL. But all some of you can do is concentrate on a low paid AHL place filler.

It's so convenient to avoid criticising your favourites or even to ignore the fact we just don't have enough prime alternatives at present. For those harping on about giving more time to the 2nd PP, maybe you can see it's not as simple as that, they were cr-p too.

The Twins are in danger of tarnishing their legacy the more they play this "keep away" selfish game. They need to change. And please JB do not renew them, I am now at the stage I would rather lose every week than continue to watch their circus.

I think WD must now do something about the twins, rest them, split them up, anything but continue with the same boring perimeter BS they are serving up just now.

I cringe at how hard you are on the twins but at the same time I do agree. I've noticed it as they grow older that they look for each other even more if that's possible. To the point of making cross ice, impossible, dangerous passes and passing up more open players, especially on the PP.  I mean gawd, I bet even the Sedins are now bored with the PP.

I also think Megna is not the problem with that line. If this were the Sedins in their prime, he'd be fine. He is working hard and is more physical on the boards in digging the puck out, much like a younger Burrows (without the mouth). And that is the precise kind of player that has proven to work well with them, they don't need another superstar on that line to get the best out of them.  But I really think that Loui should be given a proper tryout. Its astonishing that he hasn't yet had more than a handful of games in a row with them.  I know he was "instantly" great with the Sedins when he played on their line in world championships, but the NHL is a different beast, with other teams having more prep time to study tape and having to face so many different top checking lines. But that makes it all the more reason to give them more time to develop chemistry and find some synchronicity. That kind of chemistry would mean being able to make a play that they can't now because they could shave off split seconds on plays because of familiarity with each other. Those split seconds in plays, mean the difference between a brilliant scoring chance or a turnover.

Archived