The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Here's the thing: JB should get rid of Megna now

Horvats_Big_Head

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Megna is not what caused the problems in that game. 

Do any of you watch how many open passes the twins pass up just so they can pass to each other, 99  times out of 100 leading to nothing. They are draining the life out of the team. Bo's line went AWOL. But all some of you can do is concentrate on a low paid AHL place filler.

It's so convenient to avoid criticising your favourites or even to ignore the fact we just don't have enough prime alternatives at present. For those harping on about giving more time to the 2nd PP, maybe you can see it's not as simple as that, they were cr-p too.

The Twins are in danger of tarnishing their legacy the more they play this "keep away" selfish game. They need to change. And please JB do not renew them, I am now at the stage I would rather lose every week than continue to watch their circus.

I think WD must now do something about the twins, rest them, split them up, anything but continue with the same boring perimeter BS they are serving up just now.

It's been very noticeable since Christmas. Last night may have been their worst game this season. 

It's painful to watch them try the same passes entering the zone,  only to lose the puck and get left behind on the odd man rush they caused,  over and over. 

Not their fault really. They should be third liners now. 

I love everyone has forgotten about AV and how he had his love affair with plugs as well. The only difference is WD puts them in at key times, and on the power play. (Basically they get a regular shift, even when not producing)

WD at least put Eriksson on the Sedin line and that line scored. The sad part is the Devils scored on the counter attack with Baer and Horvat. So now we'll probably never see them on 3 on 3 again. I don't think JB is the problem. He provides the players, it's the coach that has the deployment. I think Megna should sit, let Boucher get into the lineup, so that the Canucks can at least see what, if anything he has to offer. Has a doctor seen Rodin? Has there been a decision on if his knee is ok, or no? 

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Do any of you watch how many open passes the twins pass up just so they can pass to each other, 99  times out of 100 leading to nothing. They are draining the life out of the team. Bo's line went AWOL. But all some of you can do is concentrate on a low paid AHL place filler.

It's so convenient to avoid criticising your favourites or even to ignore the fact we just don't have enough prime alternatives at present. For those harping on about giving more time to the 2nd PP, maybe you can see it's not as simple as that, they were cr-p too.

The Twins are in danger of tarnishing their legacy the more they play this "keep away" selfish game. They need to change. And please JB do not renew them, I am now at the stage I would rather lose every week than continue to watch their circus.

I think WD must now do something about the twins, rest them, split them up, anything but continue with the same boring perimeter BS they are serving up just now.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they are draining the life from the team, but they do seem to be a detriment when they are on the ice for sure (you are spot on with the observation about their passing...drives me nuts when a player in a better shooting position is wide open, but they only have eyes for each other...do they not trust their linemates?). I think it's time to put Burrows back with them and slot them in to the second line minutes. And I agree, do not renew them...it truly is time to move on. I love the Bro Show for sure, and for all they've done...but...there comes a time when doing right for the overall team comes above just a couple of players. Bo is the leader now, and I would hope that within 2 years the core transitions to him, Boeser, Virt, Baer, Demko etc etc. It is time to move on...

As for the Willy bashing (man, that sounds harsh when I see it in print), it's time to stop. A coach can only do what he can with what he's given to work with. Megna's time allowance probably has more to see what he can do over a larger sample rather than just write him off after a small sample...put him with the most skilled guys on the team, give them lots of time together and see what shakes out. We could seriously whine if we were a true contender, but at this juncture (ie/ a team in transition) we need to see what each player contributes so they can be deployed correctly in the future once more pieces are in place. Maybe WD sees a little Burrows in Megna (if so then that experiment worked out OK so maybe why not try to duplicate it with a younger player?)...who knows. All I can say is, maybe the amateur chesterfield coaches need to keep their opinions to themselves about a championship driven coach (one who has succeeded at every other level and doesn't really need to explain himself to a bunch of guys who think NHL coaching is the same as NHL17 coaching).

Instead of bashing Willie for what you "think" he is failing at, how about praising the man for taking a team that "experts" thought would finish dead last with 67 points to within grasp of a playoff spot! Could you imagine how good he'd be if he was coaching a better team?

59 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I love everyone has forgotten about AV and how he had his love affair with plugs as well. The only difference is WD puts them in at key times, and on the power play. (Basically they get a regular shift, even when not producing)

WD at least put Eriksson on the Sedin line and that line scored. The sad part is the Devils scored on the counter attack with Baer and Horvat. So now we'll probably never see them on 3 on 3 again. I don't think JB is the problem. He provides the players, it's the coach that has the deployment. I think Megna should sit, let Boucher get into the lineup, so that the Canucks can at least see what, if anything he has to offer. Has a doctor seen Rodin? Has there been a decision on if his knee is ok, or no? 

Rome could do no wrong.

A huge difference between Megna and Vey, is that Vey had and has way more natural talent. Megna is a scrub who skates. I'd rather see Chaput stay up than Megna. At least Chaput is a banger that makes the fourth line click. Megna's stick is where plays go to die.

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

No no, Sedins ain't getting a free pass. Everyone realizes that they are no longer first line players, and they should be playing less important roles too. Don't have to get all worked up about it. This board is filled with Sedin bashing, don't worry.

Having said that, the Sedins do not make those passes because they don't have enough trust what the third guy can do at times, which is not something you want to see as it does seem selfish at times. So yes, WD should consider splitting them up. But we basically have a rookie coach and the Sedins are legends. That conversation ain't going to go so easy.

And right, the problem isn't Megna, he is just playing important roles/minutes at critical times for some mysterious reasons. That's what this thread is about (at least that's what I'm saying), not about putting all the blame on him and giving the others free pass.

Do I care if Megna "carries Willie's gear"? Not in the least. Find happiness where you can my friends. 

What I do care about is Jim's tolerance of multiple loss losing streaks, and tolerance of a coach who uses plugs the way Willie does. My bet is they just can't face the Aquilini's and get them to pay for 2 fired coaches at the same time. 

8 hours ago, gino#29 said:

it is mind boggling.whydid they say they were going to play some of the prospects in the offseason?i think the lineup decisions  have a lot to do with the expansion draft.

Stetcher

gaunce

baer

granlund

hutton

Tryamkin

all prospects, all playing regular shifts and contributing in some way.  Sounds like you just have an easily boggled mind

2 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

It's been very noticeable since Christmas. Last night may have been their worst game this season. 

It's painful to watch them try the same passes entering the zone,  only to lose the puck and get left behind on the odd man rush they caused,  over and over. 

Not their fault really. They should be third liners now. 

But they've never been checkers before though and they're certainly not fast enough to do it now. As a third line without all of the O-zone starts, checking assignments, and less powerplay time the Sedins would look even more useless than they do right now. If they should now be third-liners then maybe they should just retire instead.

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

How out of that game you find reason to blame the twins is remarkable to me.  They played great and got a goal because they were finally playing with Eriksson. Megna isn't the problem, but he definitely isn't he solution. 

The problem is that we are at home against a team struggling to score below us in the standings and the coach says hey let's play this like a road game.  Trap trap trap trap...no surprise they score a bogus goal because you can't try to win games 1-0.  We loose 3 on 3 in overtime.  We have had our fair share of luck so can't complain there.  

Look willie isn't a bad coach, but he never adjusts.  We are doing better than expected, so we have that; but our schedule until February is very favorable.  Arguably, we should be better.  I know that the last couple of months are going to be tough.

the NJ game is definitely Willie's fault.  Our slow starts are also on Willie playing too defensive of a system.  We aren't good, he is sticking to the same lineup and worst of all we are not fun to watch.  

Just now, combover said:

Maybe the guy who supplied megna to willies habit should be held responsible.

You can't put megna in front of a vey lover and expect him to not overdose. The dealer is guilty more so than the user, the user has a problem, when it's to help with the twitching or some other short coming when MegnaVey is presented the addiction to over use is just to great resist. 

Megna was brought in to give depth for Utica.  They needed that desperately.  Hardly Jims fault that he calls up Megna on an emergency basis and then can't get him off the team because of Willie.  Megna is a solid AHLer.  Utica does need players too.

5 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Megna was brought in to give depth for Utica.  They needed that desperately.  Hardly Jims fault that he calls up Megna on an emergency basis and then can't get him off the team because of Willie.  Megna is a solid AHLer.  Utica does need players too.

Last I checked Gm determines the roster not the coach. Send him (megna) down,  insert Boucher or rotate other Utica forwards through the roster. 

Jim should have identified the problem and sovled it. Instead he's enable  it. 

All all that said it's not like any player on the team is excelling under willies coaching so it might be a bit unfair to asses any player accurately. 

Archived