The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Here's the thing: JB should get rid of Megna now

Horvats_Big_Head

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

EK = Evander Kane?  Heck, Evander sounds exactly like a guy that would do well with the Twins.  He's a better version of Hansen.

What amazes me is how Willie can continually step in sh!t, and he has his cheerleaders on these boards. I'm leaning to your ownership meddling theories on this one Alf. Maybe papa Aqulini has made it clear there won't be any more coach buyouts. Thats the only thing that makes sense to me.

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I wonder how the medals "fit"? JR probably would think Forsberg would have been a poor fit. LH shot...

Note the dates....

Not playing him with the Sedins 5v5 does not place him below Hansen on the depth chart. Eriksson's a good player and scorer but he's not the puck retriever/puck hound that Hansen is and the Sedins need to be most effective. I'm not so sure they see a ton of 5v5 time together if Hansen's available.

Playing him on the 2nd with Baer and Sutter also makes us far more of a threat to be a 2 line team and harder to defend against. And Baer is no slouch at setting up the puck for quality shooters. 

Evidently I got Baer/Granlund wrong ;)

The Sedins have already made it clear as to what kind of line mate they prefer.

If we were to sign Eriksson, he'd largely be playing on the 2nd line I'd wager. Likely see time with them on the PP.

Eriksson (if we were to sign him) would not be playing with the twins in the NHL. At least not 5v5.

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

You told me to state what I think your biases are. I'm telling you to step up and do it yourself.

Not remotely what you quoted :lol: Go back and look, you made zero sense.

14 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I wonder how the medals "fit"? JR probably would think Forsberg would have been a poor fit. LH shot...

Forsberg was a big body guy and good puck retreiver.

Eriksson is a guy who makes his living getting into the dirty areas in front of the net.

Not similar players at all besides both being lefties...

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Not quite true re Sutter and matchups.  It depends on the games but Horvat plays his fair share against the top lines.  I think WD is not trying to shelter him but testing him against the other teams best lines.  

Baer-Horvat spoke of how much Burrows helps them by doing a lot of the heavy lifting - being strong on the forecheck and digging out pucks for them.  I don't see Rodin in that role.  Burrows is also defensively responsible which allows Baer to be more aggressive offensively and not have Horvat be the lone player covering for him.  I think they need a strong two-way player on their line and I really don't s see it being Rodin.  One of the things they need to learn is consistency at the NHL level and Rodin is not an NHLer yet.  

Rodin was the SHL MVP last year, his pedigree is legit.  It's also pretty widely noted that he plays a solid 200 ft game.  Maybe he doesn't forecheck as well as Burr, but both Bo and baer are excellent forecheckers, so I don't see that as a tool that Rodin needs to have on that line.

Don't get me wrong, I love Burr on that line and I think he's responsible for a lot of their success, but at some point you have to think about a year, two, three into the future and I see the Baer Bo Rodin trip as a line that probably spends the bulk of the next 5 years playing together, might as well start sooner rather than later.

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Forsberg was a big body guy and good puck retreiver.

Eriksson is a guy who makes his living getting into the dirty areas in front of the net.

Not similar players at all besides both being lefties...

But hey we're only skimming the surface here to make a cheap and myopic point, not actually trying to look deeper in to things, look past our biases and come out with a better understanding. Right?

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

Rodin was the SHL MVP last year, his pedigree is legit.  It's also pretty widely noted that he plays a solid 200 ft game.  Maybe he doesn't forecheck as well as Burr, but both Bo and baer are excellent forecheckers, so I don't see that as a tool that Rodin needs to have on that line.

Don't get me wrong, I love Burr on that line and I think he's responsible for a lot of their success, but at some point you have to think about a year, two, three into the future and I see the Baer Bo Rodin trip as a line that probably spends the bulk of the next 5 years playing together, might as well start sooner rather than later.

I am thinking of a year or two.  Get them as much training/guidance this year as possible.  WD spoke of how Burrows helps them focus and prepares them for shifts.  It's also about learning how to produce even when they are having a bad game.  They are still very inconsistent and need help to take that next step.  I just think that an experienced NHL vet is more likely to help them than someone with no NHL experience.

Just now, mll said:

I am thinking of a year or two.  Get them as much training/guidance this year as possible.  WD spoke of how Burrows helps them focus and prepares them for shifts.  It's also about learning how to produce even when they are having a bad game.  They are still very inconsistent and need help to take that next step.  I just think they need an experienced NHL vet that can help them.

I don't disagree with that, but we also want them to be the successors to the twins, or at least carry some of that load, and Rodin is a far better fit in that way.  Again, Rodin isn't some 21 year old kid, he's a seasoned vet who understands what it means to be a pro and to prepare, mentally and physically, as such.  

I do understand what you are getting at, however

6 minutes ago, By sea and land said:

Whether Megna is a 1st liner, 4th liner or spare part, he's a Canuck and I'll cheer him on.

Willy is our coach.  Most pundits say the Canucks have OVERachieved this year.  With an obvious lack of top end talent on this roster, I'd give a lot of the credit to coach Willy.

This.

For all of his flaws (perceived solely by CDC or otherwise), he has this '65 point team' punching above their weight despite numerous injuries to key personnel. 

Micro-managing every little move despite clearly not having all of the information is just silly IMO.

another dump on megna, scape goat willie, and take shots at upper management post

so tiring to read

all the criticism makes more sense if the team is playoff caliber and underperforming

it is not

it has warts, mostly lack of talent, or inexperienced talent

it's gonna take time

but people either refuse to accept what this team really is

or they say tank but do not want to live with what that actually mean. it means we will have a crappy team

there is no easy fix here people . but vent away anyway

2 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

I totally agree with OP. Megna is just terrible. No clue why he is even on the PP. Everytime I see him on the ice I get angry. Pls Willie dont rely on him like he is a game changer. BTW Hansen couldnt come back soon enough!

Probably only 5 more games without Hansen.   Should be back early February after the break.

Will be interesting to see who Benning sends down among the Fs.

27 minutes ago, J.R. said:

This.

For all of his flaws (perceived solely by CDC or otherwise), he has this '65 point team' punching above their weight despite numerous injuries to key personnel. 

This team is punching in it's weight class. The 65 point team mindset was perpetrated by biased sports bloggers who feigned actual knowledge on the subject which really belied a need to deride this team and fanbase. I think this team could even be in a higher points bracket if Willie would allow himself to get past some stubborn decisions and ideas, mainly the zombified power play.

27 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Micro-managing every little move despite clearly not having all of the information is just silly IMO.

And message boards exist for what other purpose?

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Probably only 5 more games without Hansen.   Should be back early February after the break.

Will be interesting to see who Benning sends down among the Fs.

Based on merit it has to be Megna. The others have all played their roles when given opportunity. Megna, rightfully or wrongfully, has been placed in a top 6 role and has not produced. It SHOULD be that simple.

17 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

another dump on megna, scape goat willie, and take shots at upper management post

so tiring to read

all the criticism makes more sense if the team is playoff caliber and underperforming

it is not

it has warts, mostly lack of talent, or inexperienced talent

it's gonna take time

but people either refuse to accept what this team really is

or they say tank but do not want to live with what that actually mean. it means we will have a crappy team

there is no easy fix here people . but vent away anyway

Or conversely:

slot a couple guys in and out till you find something that work or improves what needs improving ie the pp and first line production........

........because this team is not a legit playoff team.....

time to tinker is now.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

Based on merit it has to be Megna. The others have all played their roles when given opportunity. Megna, rightfully or wrongfully, has been placed in a top 6 role and has not produced. It SHOULD be that simple.

Watch Hansen get sent down for a conditioning stint.

HansenBleedsCanucksBlue.jpg

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Or conversely:

slot a couple guys in and out till you find something that work or improves what needs improving ie the pp and first line production........

time to tinker is now.

What is this common sense you speak of?

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This team is punching in it's weight class. The 65 point team mindset was perpetrated by biased sports bloggers who feigned actual knowledge on the subject which really belied a need to deride this team and fanbase. I think this team could even be in a higher points bracket if Willie would allow himself to get past some stubborn decisions and ideas, mainly the zombified power play.

And message boards exist for what other purpose?

They are one Sedin or Horvat injury away from certain doom. 

Dont distance this roster from that 65 point mark just yet! 

5 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Or conversely:

time to tinker is now.

you are assuming we have talent to insert

we do not

we have fringe talent at best

it's simply rearranging the chairs or furniture

so that people see different things

without any meaningful improvement

so why do it ?   let the existing dmen develop

let bo and other young offensive talent develop within the existing group

the fringe players matter little

but why create constant change and turmoil for so little upside

just because fans do not like seeing a crappy/average team