The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Here's the thing: JB should get rid of Megna now

Horvats_Big_Head

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Pokes usually work better with any actual weight behind them and sharpness to them ;):P

I get it now, you're stubborn like Wilbrod. That must be why you defend him so much :lol:

Its ok, with Henrik describing their play as like 'watching paint dry' and Willies unfathomable stubbornness over Megna I won't have to care after this season.

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Neither guy is healthy at the moment FWIW. 

Rodin needs games.  If he is unfit the he should be on the IR.  If he is medically cleared to play then he should play.  I would take Skille on the power play over Megna.  He has some size and can park himself in front of the net.  Burrows would also be a better option.  

10 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I get it now, you're stubborn like Wilbrod. That must be why you defend him so much :lol:

Its ok, with Henrik describing their play as like 'watching paint dry' and Willies unfathomable stubbornness over Megna I won't have to care after this season.

I don't actually defend Wilbrod. I question people's lack of critical thinking. Subtle distinction :P

4 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Rodin needs games.  If he is unfit the he should be on the IR.  If he is medically cleared to play then he should play.  I would take Skille on the power play over Megna.  He has some size and can park himself in front of the net.  Burrows would also be a better option.  

I don't disagree. And he may very well end up back there since he tweaked his knee back in the Calgary game.

As for the rest, I doubt it would make any difference but fill your boots.

CDC clamoring for Skille on the PP as a cure-all...not a sign of desperation at all :lol:

Just now, J.R. said:

I don't disagree. And he may very well end up back there since he tweaked his knee back in the Calgary game.

As for the rest, I doubt it would make any difference but fill your boots.

CDC clamoring for Skille on the PP as a cure-all...not a sign of desperation at all :lol:

Nobody is saying any of that is a cure all.  I fully get that many of these changes are marginal at best.  But you have to do the best with what you are given and try something new if it isn't working.  I get frustrated with Willie playing the same way every game.

i mean what's the point of Boucher and Rodin???  Rodin again was our best player in preseason.  He could be a substantial add.  I don't buy the injury crap.  He wants to pay and is medically cleared to play.  Can't be worse than what we have.  If we are assuming he is trash then what do we have to loose if he gets hurt again?  He could be definitely be a substantial improvement.

1 minute ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Nobody is saying any of that is a cure all.  I fully get that many of these changes are marginal at best.  But you have to do the best with what you are given and try something new if it isn't working.  I get frustrated with Willie playing the same way every game.

i mean what's the point of Boucher and Rodin???  Rodin again was our best player in preseason.  He could be a substantial add.  I don't buy the injury crap.  He wants to pay and is medically cleared to play.  Can't be worse than what we have.  If we are assuming he is trash then what do we have to loose if he gets hurt again?  He could be definitely be a substantial improvement.

Just now, J.R. said:

Yes I have read that and it stil doesn't change my mind.  If he is hurt put him on the IR and callup Grenier.  I have broken my leg before, and I can tell you that you don't have the same confidence in that leg until you play some meaningful games.  I didn't play pro hockey, but I think the point is the same.  These things are as much psychological as they are physiological.  He needs game time to get confidence.  We need a lot of help to be a playoff team.  More likely no matter what we don't make it.  So who cares if he plays his way back into shape?  He has a good attitude and works hard on the ice when he plays.  It's not like Jake.

2 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Yes I have read that and it stil doesn't change my mind.  If he is hurt put him on the IR and callup Grenier.  I have broken my leg before, and I can tell you that you don't have the same confidence in that leg until you play some meaningful games.  I didn't play pro hockey, but I think the point is the same.  These things are as much psychological as they are physiological.  He needs game time to get confidence.  We need a lot of help to be a playoff team.  More likely no matter what we don't make it.  So who cares if he plays his way back into shape?  He has a good attitude and works hard on the ice when he plays.  It's not like Jake.

Maybe they don't want to set him back further there Dr. Recchi.

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Maybe they don't want to set him back further there Dr. Recchi.

What difference does it make?  If he is unhappy with not playing then he won't come back.  If he isn't good enough to play then he won't come back.  If he is injured all year then he won't come back.

You have nothing to gain by him not playing.  

1 hour ago, Wise Owl said:

The harm is Willie loses his job. The media loves to whip fans into a frenzy and their ratings go through the roof when coaches get fired. Willie has a lot on the line here compared to anyone else. This is the lineup that gives him the best chance to win in his opinion and he has points in 9 of his last 10 games. With this roster, that's pretty good.

If Willie didn't get fired during that nine game losing streak, so I doubt he would get fired now. If he is giving various players that Benning has signed a one or two game looksee by swapping them out with players of equal calibre, there is no harm there.

And as far as the recent point totals, consider the opposition they've faced. 

Just now, clutesi said:

It seems like we're arguing over middle of the road players because we lack stars. 

I think it's not so much the players, as much as the coach. Horvat, Boeser, Tryamkin, Stecher, Juolevi, and Demko will be difference makers in the league. And the NHL as much as stated that Horvat is an all-star. 

16 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

JB should do the honorable thing and get rid of himself. 

Maybe but who would come in and try to make a better balance of skill and SIZE, usually we get one but not the other, at least JB is "trying" to do it but who knows with whoever would replace him. I don't know about you but i'm tired of watching this team get beat up.

56 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think it's not so much the players, as much as the coach. Horvat, Boeser, Tryamkin, Stecher, Juolevi, and Demko will be difference makers in the league. And the NHL as much as stated that Horvat is an all-star. 

He is most definitely the Canucks All - Star.  As far as the league goes ....... well I'm not as convinced, yet.  I am pretty excited to see Boeser, Juolevi and Demko develop as well.  

Just need another top six center and top six winger to emerge, be traded for or signed via free agency. The Canucks look to be in decent shape in net and on D going forward, but it will take some time and patience.  

1 minute ago, Borvat said:

He is most definitely the Canucks All - Star.  As far as the league goes ....... well I'm not as convinced.  I am pretty excited to see Boeser, Juolevi and Demko though.  Just need another top six center and top six winger to emerge, be traded for or signed via free agency. The Canucks look to be in decent shape in net and on D going forward, but it will take some time and patience.  

Borvat is a smart enough hockey fan to know there are no guarantees that a rebuild will produce a competitive team.  When JB is done, and his his new core in place, we might still be bottom of the league to average.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Calgary

1 hour ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I don't buy the injury garbage propaganda at all. This is the management spin to calm down the fan base and attempt to take heat off Willie. 

Same thing they tried tried with Jake with the "get his stuff" comments but in Rodin's case he is playing along....what else can he do? 

Willie was extremely unconvincing his usual incoherent press coverage conference  on the issue 

39 minutes ago, AlamoCanuck said:

ahh so you saying Sedins and Megna > Sedins and EK?  He signed with the prospect of playing with them.... point is other FA's and their agents might look at the situation(WD)

and say "no thank you"

Nope. That's not what I said. 

The only reason why Megna and Chaput are on the team at this point is lack of depth.

Megna has some of the qualities that Canuck coaching and management are looking for.  He has some speed and defensive abilities.  He gets in on the fore check.  Offense just is not there and IQ is only fair.  He pretty much doesn't cost the team defensively but does in terms of opportunities missed.  So while Hansen is out.....meh....

Megna (26) and Chaput (24) are fringe NHLers and are great for depth but also for internal competition.  They are where the bar is set and young drafted players need to out perform them before they will be called up. Internal competition is such that the best alternative to an injured roster player gets the call up.  Until some of the young drafted players in the system like Grenier, Archibald, Zalewski, Boucher, Cassels, Virtanen can show that they are better alternatives, they will continue to develop in Utica.  For some, it is clearly to their benefit.    

Archived