The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Back End

By sea and land

The future is bright on our back end.  The emergence of Tryamkin and Stecher have exceeded my expectation.  Tryamkin especially is intriguing.  Seeing him jump in on the rush, reading plays and understanding the flow/game speed has me excited when thinking abour his full potential.  He's young and we still don't know for sure but he looks to have the tools to be an impactful top 4 Dman, if not more.  At least in a shut down role anyway.  I'd like to see Edler play as a 2nd pairing D and would like to see him play with Gudbranson.  How much further can Hutton elevate?  I really loved the Juolevi pick as well.  For the first time in a long time I don't know if the Canucks have a legitimate 1st unit D pairing BUT I also think for the first time in a long time we are very deep back there even if we lose Sbisa to Vegas.

Hutton. Tanev

Edler. Stecher

Tryamkin. Gudbranson 

Juolevi

The future is bright.  Now let's see if Benning can score on another F at the draft, ala Boeser at the #23 spot.

I am a huge Hutton fan, and think he has a big role in the future of our team. But he HAS had a bit of a shaky season, with some iffy zone coverage. Totally to be expected sooner or later, and something that he will work through. I am torn between wanting to shelter him a bit with easier match ups to help his confidence and fundamentals, or doing what you have done there and letting him ride with Tanev. Maybe big minutes with a D that he trusts are the way to go. 

Either way, I absolutely love your enthusiasm. It's great to see people legitimately excited about the future of the team. 

32 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Tryamkin still has a lot of mistakes. I notice he isn't a very good passer because sometimes he just passes as hard as he can at his player then it just goes down the ice. Also some defensive breakdown sometimes. 

He is improving rapidly though. 

33 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Tryamkin still has a lot of mistakes. I notice he isn't a very good passer because sometimes he just passes as hard as he can at his player then it just goes down the ice. Also some defensive breakdown sometimes. 

Tryamkin is a rookie. He'll make mistakes, just like Stecher and Hutton. How they learn from their mistakes is key. Clearly these guys are accountable and aware. They all possess unique natural gifts and abilities that look to be shaping up to make a really multi-faceted and dangerous defense. I'd much rather the Canucks boast a deep and varied defense, than possess one "true" #1....and a bunch of plugs behind him.

Credit to Jim Benning for his vision.

29 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Tryamkin is a rookie. He'll make mistakes, just like Stecher and Hutton. How they learn from their mistakes is key. Clearly these guys are accountable and aware. They all possess unique natural gifts and abilities that look to be shaping up to make a really multi-faceted and dangerous defense. I'd much rather the Canucks boast a deep and varied defense, than possess one "true" #1....and a bunch of plugs behind him.

Credit to Jim Benning for his vision.

I think an interesting key word here is "varied". People don't bring it up that often, but I definitely agree that it helps a lot. A 6 man corps of hulking stay at home D isn't any more effective or desirable than a batch of offensively dynamic lightweights. It is the combination of the Tryamkins and Gudbansons with the Stechers and Huttons that make me optimistic. 

2 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

I think an interesting key word here is "varied". People don't bring it up that often, but I definitely agree that it helps a lot. A 6 man corps of hulking stay at home D isn't any more effective or desirable than a batch of offensively dynamic lightweights. It is the combination of the Tryamkins and Gudbansons with the Stechers and Huttons that make me optimistic. 

Exactly! In my opinion it allows the team to cater their attack to anything the opposition can bring. Having a nice mix on each line of physicality and skill, will help as well, as each player can symbiotically learn and grow with each other. Very exciting stuff.

1 minute ago, diesel_3 said:

Can't wait until Tryamkin is a CONFIDENT nasty piece of business in upcoming years.

He is a beast back there, only getting better, too.

Now if his teammates (forwards) will only get him the puck when he makes moves to the net.  He made some really nice weak side moves to the net last night, but the forwards didn't get him the puck.  How can they miss a guy that friggin big?  :lol:

Sort of the way I see things shaping up 

Edler Stetcher

Juolevi Gud

Hutton Tryamkin

Brisbois Sbisa

I don't think Subban has a future here not to say that he won't be an NHL player. Just probably not here. It seems our management has the same problem with him that Monterals had with his brother.. It's like they think hockey is a game or something. What a silly notion. Bad parenting was bad!

Gumby is starting to get old and brittle the time to move Tanev is now while he has value. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Now if his teammates (forwards) will only get him the puck when he makes moves to the net.  He made some really nice weak side moves to the net last night, but the forwards didn't get him the puck.  How can they miss a guy that friggin big?  :lol:

They are afraid of him taking their jobs if they convert him to a RW.

Just now, Alflives said:

How much fun is it watching our young d, compared to watching our old forwards?  

Ya, i'm enjoying watching the D corps work together, it can get ugly but they are young, it's expected.

I try and focus on guys like Horvat, Granlund and Baertschi more than how painful the forwards can be at times haha.

1 minute ago, diesel_3 said:

Ya, i'm enjoying watching the D corps work together, it can get ugly but they are young, it's expected.

I try and focus on guys like Horvat, Granlund and Baertschi more than how painful the forwards can be at times haha.

Next season hopefully Boeser and Virtanen get fair chances to contribute and are allowed the odd mistake.  

Archived