The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reid Boucher | LW/RW

Salmonberries

Great to see Hansen coming back, but it makes me feel bad for Boucher since this means he's now two injuries away from being in the lineup instead of just one. He should've been given a chance to play while we had the flexibility; its not like Megna was setting the world on fire and we couldn't afford to scratch him. It takes more than six minutes to find out what you've got in a player.

Either he sits idly in the press box waiting for a chance, gets waived again and maybe makes it to Utica (his stock will be lower now), or the Canucks hang onto him until they can give him a conditioning stint since he hasn't played in a while. I hope they can find a way to keep him in the organization since our forward depth in Utica is pretty shallow and injuries can strike at any moment.

22 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

What has Megna done lately? Nothing. 

Defensively aware and actually back checks with decent speed. In a way I compare him to Baer when Baer was struggling. Megna has all the tools needed but seems to have that half second delay switch that foils his scoring opps. Some one suggested that he go back onto the 4th line. He has the ability to play a defensive game but IMO he has to score to stay. He has not been able to do that. With Hansen back I suspect his opp is gone.   

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Defensively aware and actually back checks with decent speed. In a way I compare him to Baer when Baer was struggling. Megna has all the tools needed but seems to have that half second delay switch that foils his scoring opps. Some one suggested that he go back onto the 4th line. He has the ability to play a defensive game but IMO he has to score to stay. He has not been able to do that. With Hansen back I suspect his opp is gone.   

Seriously, if Jason Megna is in a team's top 6 forwards, how bad must that team be?  Megna is what...27?  How crappy must our prospect pool be for this guy to be on our team.  :(

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Seriously, if Jason Megna is in a team's top 6 forwards, how bad must that team be?  Megna is what...27?  How crappy must our prospect pool be for this guy to be on our team.  :(

IMO he was playing top 6 because of the injury situation. As I said even tho he has decent defensive abilities the only way he likely stays in the NHL is as a forward that can put up points. He has not been able to do that. I do not begrudge his chance to do that. If Rodin had not come up lame I suspect Megna would have been sat to see what Rodin could have done.

You know me. I'm one of those 'tankers'. :) I would have sent Megna down to Utica some time ago and rotated the prospects through Van to see what they had. Specifically Grenier and LaBate.

To your point about how bad could the prospect pool be? Bad! You follow Utica enough to know that.

50 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Wasting Boucher's time sitting in the press box. This kid will be out of the NHL at this rate when his contract is up. 

Yes, let's just blame the Nucks brass when his conditioning as a pro was at an all-time low after battling injury.

It's like some of you actually want to sound dumb.

• Upvote 2

I kind of hope that if Burrows-Horvat-Hansen isn't producing much next game, that Willie throws Boucher in there for a shift or two. Just to see what Boucher's shot can do alongide Horvat's level of play.

Maybe Skille-Chaput-Boucher generate something too, but I think Boucher would be better off having a guy like Horvat set him up with some room to shoot.

Either way though, I hope Boucher has a good game. We kind of need players to make impacts right now, and on this road trip would be the perfect time for him to try and solidify a spot on an NHL roster.

6 hours ago, abdemarco said:

Looks like Boucher will get his chance alongside Chaput and Skille tomorrow night.  Good for him.

Boucher is lucky to get another shot so soon.  He admitted that he didn't play well in an interview between periods in his first game.  He knows very well that it is time for him to show his stuff.  It's not all bad for him on the 4th line because Skille especially, can make things happen.  If he can show some finish, he may find a home.

On a side note, I would like to see Horvat and Eriksson together.  They would bring complimentary skill sets (which is probably why Willie has them apart).  But don't Hansen and Burrows bring the same skill set?