The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin O'Leary enters Conservative leadership race.

nuckin_futz

Kevin O'Leary enters Conservative leadership race

Unilingual businessman, TV star to jump into leadership race the day after French-language debate

CBC News Posted: Jan 17, 2017 4:12 PM ET Last Updated: Jan 17, 2017 11:48 PM ET

Businessman Kevin O'Leary will enter the Conservative leadership race tomorrow, CBC News has learned.

The Montreal-born anglophone will launch his campaign in Toronto only hours after skipping the French-language debate, which will be held tonight in Quebec City, sources close to the candidate said.

The move comes a week after his campaign exploratory committee told the former CBC Television host there was a "clear path to victory" if he jumped into the crowded race to replace Stephen Harper as permanent leader of the Conservative Party.

"Your many fans are eager to support you and will join the party to do so," Mike Coates, chair of the committee, told O'Leary in a letter, adding that many existing party members would support him because he offers "the most compelling chance at winning the next election."

The former Dragon's Den investor must file his candidacy papers and pay a deposit by Feb. 24 in order to be a candidate in the May 27 vote.

O'Leary is a late entrant to the race, as 13 other candidates have been vying for the leadership for months, dutifully signing up new members to stand behind them at the convention in Toronto.

"My problem is too many candidates in any of these debates in any language. You can't have a debate, you can't talk about Canada, you can't bring your policies forward, you can't show a different direction in 20-second sound bites. Please tell me when we're down to four or five, then we'll talk turkey," O'Leary said earlier this month.

O'Leary has skipped the first three Conservative Party leadership debates, and has said he doesn't like the format as the 13 candidates simply square off in a 'soundbite' contest. (CBC)

French-language hurdle

O'Leary has faced criticism from other candidates who questioned his decision to skip the French-language debate.

"If Kevin wants to run, it's time to fish or cut bait," Conservative candidate Andrew Scheer said earlier this month. "It is not acceptable to stall or delay in order to avoid the French-language debate."

O'Leary does not speak any French, but in a recent interview with CBC News said he was working with a tutor to improve his proficiency.

Quebec MP Maxime Bernier, another candidate who has polled well in early surveys, has taken aim at O'Leary's poor French-language skills.

"If [O'Leary] believes he can win an election without speaking a word of French, he is wrong," Bernier said late last year. "And I think the members of the Conservative Party are conscious of this. They are conscious of the need for a leader who can speak in French to Quebecers."

Milton MP Lisa Raitt has also questioned O'Leary's fitness to run, launching a website, StopKevinOLeary.com, to rally party members against his candidacy.

She has cited his past support for a national carbon tax and his bombastic remarks about the poor, union members and veterans as qualities that will sink his campaign in the 2019 general election.

"O'Leary is a TV entertainer with absolutely no filter," she said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/kevin-oleary-conservative-leadership-race-1.3939876

Edit: Changed title

Kevin O'Leary.  Just Visiting

Kevin O'Leary.  I think it's great that 3 billion live in poverty

Kevin O'Leary.  Temporary foreign workers or slaves, whatever keeps my bottom line happy and my costs down

Kevin O'Leary.  Why are you making this here, I don't care about your moral need to support your neighbour,I care about one thing.  Money; and you'll make more money making this in China than paying your neighbour a living wage

Ya...this is the guy that will sink the Conservative name in Canada to the absolute bottom...anyone who honestly think this guy is a leader and would care about the taxpayer or voter needs their frigging head examined.

PS, yes those ARE all quotes of Mr. Wonderfuls taken from various TV programs, can you find some gems of Kevins?  Love to see em

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Kevin O'Leary.  Temporary foreign workers or slaves, whatever keeps my bottom line happy and my costs down

Kevin O'Leary.  Why are you making this here, I don't care about your moral need to support your neighbour,I care about one thing.  Money; and you'll make more money making this in China than paying your neighbour a living wage

Ya...this is the guy that will sink the Conservative name in Canada to the absolute bottom...anyone who honestly think this guy is a leader and would care about the taxpayer or voter needs their frigging head examined.

PS, yes those ARE all quotes of Mr. Wonderfuls taken from various TV programs, can you find some gems of Kevins?  Love to see em

Let me digest a season of Dragons' Den and I'll find some doozies.

That being said, he'll probably win. 

putting-gun-to-head.gif

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

How is that any different from any other scum politician in power? Like Trudeau is any better. 

^ This.

So many people have learned nothing. Politicians DO NOT work for the people. They are just as greedy as anybody else and work for the highest bidder. The only thing that makes you a politician is that you are professionally trained to BS better than others.

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

This all sounds strangely familiar.........

5 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

How is that any different from any other scum politician in power? Like Trudeau is any better. 

3 hours ago, Rounoush said:

^ This.

So many people have learned nothing. Politicians DO NOT work for the people. They are just as greedy as anybody else and work for the highest bidder. The only thing that makes you a politician is that you are professionally trained to BS better than others.

The very fact you cannot see why these issues and statements of his are bad disqualifies you both from having any discussion about this, now go away.  Big people are talking.

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Hippy can we please be done with this foreign worker BS. Pls how do we end this ridiculous rule!?

and I'm not familiar with this guy but he sounds like a Yank ;p lol

Edit lol ok I know this punk... He's an arrogant pos.  Thought I recognized the name... Definelty recognize that rat face ;) 

4 hours ago, Dral said:

I don't think he'll win... the only reason Trump won was because he was running against the worst candidate in US history... which JT isn't..

Bingo. If the Libs suddenly decided Christy Clark was their next PM because Trudeau couldn't run, then he'd have a chance.

4 hours ago, Dral said:

I don't think he'll win... the only reason Trump won was because he was running against the worst candidate in US history... which JT isn't..

If Trudeau does not get weed legalized by the next election he won't win. Almost everyone bought in to it. The rest of his platform is virtually the same as every other politician. KO can win, because he is rich, famous and more likable than Trump. Not that he should win but JT is tied to weed. 

Archived