The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin O'Leary enters Conservative leadership race.

nuckin_futz

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

if for some reason english canada does somehow manage to vote him in as prime minister

i see a fairly quick start up of quebec separation sentiments

and o'leary is not equipped at all to deal with that issue

would be a very difficult time for canadian unity

Google Translate

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

And so starts the trend of celebrities thinking that they are more capable than reality.

It will be interesting to see the debate between him and George Stromboloplous or whomever the NDP recruits to counteract O'Leary.

Probably Justin Bieber. :emot-parrot:

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The very fact you cannot see why these issues and statements of his are bad disqualifies you both from having any discussion about this, now go away.  Big people are talking.

What the hell is wrong with you? We are stating that pretty much ALL politicians are like this, all are scum.

Big people talking? What are you 12?

10 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

What the hell is wrong with you? We are stating that pretty much ALL politicians are like this, all are scum.

Big people talking? What are you 12?

But only 1 potential politician is ok with billions in poverty.  Shipping jobs out of the country.  Lowering business taxes while increasing personal taxes.  Allowing more TFWs 

Trying to claim he's better than golden boy Trudeau or he's as qualified or that hes no diffetent than all politician's almost automatically disqualifies a person from rational discussion whether you like it or not

This guys a special type and is worse than any of the above.  He makes Leitch look palatable 

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Well.... still more qualified than JT.  

For what? Kevin hasn't spent a day as an MP and has no idea how government really works.

Kevin is weakest by far on his commitment to Canada. His plan is to not run for a seat until the next election if he get the PC leadership. That tells me he isn't serious about governing.

People like to sh!t on the government, but there's a lot of real work, and good work, that goes on no one pays attention to. By not sitting as an MP for a year or two and learning what really goes on, he's telling voters he's not particularly interested in governing, just "being" a figurehead. At least Trudeau was an MP for almost 8 years before becoming PM.

28 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

For what? Kevin hasn't spent a day as an MP and has no idea how government really works.

Kevin is weakest by far on his commitment to Canada. His plan is to not run for a seat until the next election if he get the PC leadership. That tells me he isn't serious about governing.

People like to sh!t on the government, but there's a lot of real work, and good work, that goes on no one pays attention to. By not sitting as an MP for a year or two and learning what really goes on, he's telling voters he's not particularly interested in governing, just "being" a figurehead. At least Trudeau was an MP for almost 8 years before becoming PM.

As head of an international multi-billion dollar organization, he has dealt with many powerful people across the globe.  Not just the head-of-states for photo ops as JT when he was younger, but lobby groups, head of other corporations, key bureaucrats, officials and other important behind the scenes.  Way more useful experience than say... I don't know... a school teacher.  

While I do agree that he should be a MP first, but unlike JT, being a MP is like a demotion compared to what he has now.  A shadow cabinet role is lackluster as well.  

If he's going into politics, he's going for the top, not aiming for the bottom.  

Now I don't think O'leary is a good choice for the Conservatives or for PM, but that's just a reflection on the weakness of the party now.  

10 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Interesting. I see him as the Trump of Canada, though probably more reserved and sensible. 

Will be interesting to see how many Trump supporters will jump to discredit this guy.  That being said it would stay true to the hypocrisy that is the trump movement. 

37 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

As head of an international multi-billion dollar organization, he has dealt with many powerful people across the globe.  Not just the head-of-states for photo ops as JT when he was younger, but lobby groups, head of other corporations, key bureaucrats, officials and other important behind the scenes.  Way more useful experience than say... I don't know... a school teacher.  

While I do agree that he should be a MP first, but unlike JT, being a MP is like a demotion compared to what he has now.  A shadow cabinet role is lackluster as well.  

Now I don't think O'leary is a good choice for the Conservatives or for PM, but that's just a reflection on the weakness of the party now.  

I think you are really overestimating the value of Kevin's experience. He's still going to have the same constraints as any other PM in terms of Canada's market access and global clout. We'll still be a soft power with the need to export. We already have a guy with Kevin's experience as Finance Minister.

"Shooting for the top" is great and all, but he's going to have to rely 100% on his CPC team to run the day to day business of governing Canada. I'd prefer someone who actually knows how the system works.

Also, because he's going to have to rely so heavily on his CPC team, I  have some concerns over what kind of social policies he'll concede on.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

But only 1 potential politician is ok with billions in poverty.  Shipping jobs out of the country.  Lowering business taxes while increasing personal taxes.  Allowing more TFWs 

Trying to claim he's better than golden boy Trudeau or he's as qualified or that hes no diffetent than all politician's almost automatically disqualifies a person from rational discussion whether you like it or not

This guys a special type and is worse than any of the above.  He makes Leitch look palatable 

lol if you think any politician is worse/better. They all come from the same cesspool of sub human scum. The only genuine ones never make it to office or get clipped. I take it you are in your 40's-60's and still under the illusion that politics/democracy is just and fathomable. 

41 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I think you are really overestimating the value of Kevin's experience. He's still going to have the same constraints as any other PM in terms of Canada's market access and global clout. We'll still be a soft power with the need to export. We already have a guy with Kevin's experience as Finance Minister.

"Shooting for the top" is great and all, but he's going to have to rely 100% on his CPC team to run the day to day business of governing Canada. I'd prefer someone who actually knows how the system works.

Also, because he's going to have to rely so heavily on his CPC team, I  have some concerns over what kind of social policies he'll concede on.

Thing is leaders in this Country are picked by the party. I highly doubt the cpc will pick him. His comments about the military and his ignorance towards those who aren't billionaires will make his quest pretty much impossible.

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

I'll take a school teacher to lead my country and care about it's citizens over a CEO any day of the week.

3 hours ago, MilesFromHome said:

If Trudeau does not get weed legalized by the next election he won't win. Almost everyone bought in to it. The rest of his platform is virtually the same as every other politician. KO can win, because he is rich, famous and more likable than Trump. Not that he should win but JT is tied to weed. 

*Election reform is bigger IMO but both are pretty important.

5 hours ago, Down by the River said:

And so starts the trend of celebrities thinking that they are more capable than reality.

It will be interesting to see the debate between him and George Stromboloplous or whomever the NDP recruits to counteract O'Leary.

If they're smart, they'll avoid celebrities and go with this guy:

POTY-Cullen.jpg

4 hours ago, coastal.view said:

if for some reason english canada does somehow manage to vote him in as prime minister

i see a fairly quick start up of quebec separation sentiments

and o'leary is not equipped at all to deal with that issue

would be a very difficult time for canadian unity

And this is a problem because?

Archived