The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Greatest Moments in Sports

ReggieBush

I wanted to create this thread to have a place to put the greatest plays or sports moments we have ever seen or been a part of.

Looking forward to the submissions!!

I'll start it off with the play that made me a fan of Reggie Bush for life.

I was at a family friends house (SC alum) and I remember the entire house just shocked at what had just happened. It was incredible. I remember going to my flag football practice the next day and trying to do the same thing. Running down the sideline, putting the ball behind my back and cutting across the field into the end zone. Hell, I even tried the move in a HS game last year (Didn't work out, I fumbled and got benched lol). A real shame he didnt pan out in the NFL. A ridiculous athlete and runner.

As a young feller, I'd say the greatest one I've witnessed is Sid's Golden Goal in 2010. I knew I was witnessing history when that happened. I watched the 2002 Olympics as well, but only vaguely remember them.

If we're talking about the greatest moment in all of sports Jackie Robinson needs to be on the list every time. 

The following year, six days before the start of the 1947 season, the Dodgers called Robinson up to the major leagues. With Eddie Stanky entrenched at second base for the Dodgers, Robinson played his initial major league season as a first baseman.[85] On April 15, 1947, Robinson made his major league debut at the relatively advanced age of 28 at Ebbets Field before a crowd of 26,623 spectators, more than 14,000 of whom were black. Although he failed to get a base hit, he walked and scored a run in the Dodgers' 5–3 victory. Robinson became the first player since 1880 to openly break the major league baseball color line.[126] Black fans began flocking to see the Dodgers when they came to town, abandoning their Negro league teams.

Robinson's promotion met a generally positive, although mixed, reception among newspapers and white major league players. However, racial tension existed in the Dodger clubhouse. Some Dodger players insinuated they would sit out rather than play alongside Robinson. The brewing mutiny ended when Dodgers management took a stand for Robinson. Manager Leo Durocher informed the team, "I do not care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a &^@#in' zebra. I'm the manager of this team, and I say he plays. What's more, I say he can make us all rich. And if any of you cannot use the money, I will see that you are all traded." 

Robinson was also derided by opposing teams. Some, notably the St. Louis Cardinals, threatened to strike if Robinson played, but also to spread the walkout across the entire National League. Existence of the plot was leaked by the Cardinals' team physician, Robert Hyland, to a friend, the New York Herald Tribune's Rutherford "Rud" Rennie. The reporter, concerned about projecting Hyland's anonymity and job, in turn leaked it to his Tribune colleague and editor, Stanley Woodward, whose own subsequent reporting with other sources protected Hyland. The Woodward article made national headlines. After the threat was exposed, National League President Ford Frick and Baseball Commissioner Happy Chandler let it be known that any striking players would be suspended.

"You will find that the friends that you think you have in the press box will not support you, that you will be outcasts," threatened Chandler. "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another." 

Woodward's article received the E. P. Dutton Award in 1947 for Best Sports Reporting. New York Times columnist Red Smith turned to the Cardinals' 1947 racial strike in 1977, as a spate of commemorative articles appeared on the 30th anniversary of Robinson's signing with the Dodgers. Smith remembered his old Herald Tribune colleagues' part in exposing the players' strike conspiracy. It would have succeeded, wrote Smith, "…if Rud Rennie and Stanley Woodward hadn't exposed their intentions in the New York Herald Tribune."

From Wikipedia.

Archived