The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall D Jordan Subban, reassign D Andrey Pedan

b3.

58 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Need every one?  Yeah a case can easily be made that we have always needed a few spare bodies.  Even Benning has noted that, play in the West with travel even being part, that we seem to need 10 or 11, even 12 guys during a season?

But maybe, just maybe, they have been rotating a lot of the depth guys so they could shelter and develop a guy like Subban?

And in a different line of thinking; maybe we have also needed a few extra guys because some are simply too injury prone? Add to it, with discussion of a D trade, maybe we can trade an injury prone guy to just bring up a guy who stays in the line up??

There's no such thing as being "injury prone".  That's one of those urban myths.  Indeed an athlete can have underlying physical abnormalities that can leave him more prone to certain kinds of injuries (even pro athletes aren't perfect physical specimens).  However those can and should be tested for and discovered by the medical staff (and in most cases that is true).  Certain players have a more reckless playing style and that can set them up for injuries but that can be seen through their play.  The rest is just blind luck.  To say that some people are consistently unlucky (which many people do) only reveals a lack of understanding of statistics.  Saying that someone is "injury prone" as if they have some kind of evil curse on them is too superstitious for me to take seriously.  For the record I have a degree in Kinesiology.  GCG!

1 hour ago, Frail Granny said:

I have to wonder about the true motives of the anti-Subban crowd. I've never seen so much love-hate for a Canucks prospect.

I don't think most people are anti-Subban as a person. Most think he's not ready for NHL and is a long shot at this point with other prospects leap frogging over him. It's more about having the right players in the Canucks lineup.

1 minute ago, nux_win said:

There's no such thing as being "injury prone".  That's one of those urban myths.  Indeed an athlete can have underlying physical abnormalities that can leave him more prone to certain kinds of injuries (even pro athletes aren't perfect physical specimens).  However those can and should be tested for and discovered by the medical staff (and in most cases that is true).  Certain players have a more reckless playing style and that can set them up for injuries but that can be seen through their play.  The rest is just blind luck.  To say that some people are consistently unlucky (which many people do) only reveals a lack of understanding of statistics.  Saying that someone is "injury prone" as if they have some kind of evil curse on them is too superstitious for me to take seriously.  For the record I have a degree in Kinesiology.  GCG!

Don't some people have physiological affects that make them more prone to injury?  For example a female with scoliosis could be more prone to lower back injuries.  The Canuck's doctor reported Rodin has something called a split knee cap; it never fused during growth.  The doctor said that makes Rodin more likely to have knee pain/swelling/injury.  

Congrats on the degree.  That's very cool:)

6 minutes ago, nux_win said:

saloInjuryList.jpg

Not shown: Blows out his ass muscle taking a slap shot

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don't some people have physiological affects that make them more prone to injury?  For example a female with scoliosis could be more prone to lower back injuries.  The Canuck's doctor reported Rodin has something called a split knee cap; it never fused during growth.  The doctor said that makes Rodin more likely to have knee pain/swelling/injury.  

Congrats on the degree.  That's very cool:)

That's exactly what I meant when I said that some people have underlying abnormalities (in fact all of us have them to varying degrees). 

Thanks but it's no big deal (just a little BS). 

GCG!

11 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Could it not be argued that just as some people have a natural propensity to put muscle on faster, or lose fat, or be flexible, etc, that some people's bodies wear and tear more easily?

17 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

saloInjuryList.jpg

Not shown: Blows out his ass muscle taking a slap shot

Like I said, and thanks for taking the bait, that only reveals a lack of understanding of statistics.  Let me just say this: for a small sample size like this, a random distribution of injuries does not mean an even distribution of injuries.  GCG!

Like I said, and thanks for taking the bait, that only reveals a lack of understanding of statistics.  Let me just this: for a small sample size like this, a random distribution of injuries does not mean an even distribution of injuries.  GCG!

It's friggin hockey, not statistics.  Sami Salo got injured way too often.  The guy was tough as nails, but made of glass.  

2 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Could it not be argued that just as some people have a natural propensity to put muscle on faster, or lose fat, or be flexible, etc, that some people's bodies wear and tear more easily?

Not really.  As I said, anyone can have an underlying physical abnormality that predisposes them to injury but these are physical defects and can and should be looked for and discovered (not that medical science is perfect).  There is no magical "curse" on certain people that makes them more prone to injury and that's the kind of "injury prone" that I am saying is superstition and not real.  GCG!

4 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Like I said, and thanks for taking the bait, that only reveals a lack of understanding of statistics.  Let me just this: for a small sample size like this, a random distribution of injuries does not mean an even distribution of injuries.  GCG!

Salo was constantly injured. Every time the guy stepped onto the ice he sprained a toe. 

You said there is no such thing as being injury prone. I disagree.
Why someone is "more prone" to injuries is irrelevant. 

Some guys just are. And Salo's the perfect example of that. (unfortunately for him)

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It's friggin hockey, not statistics.  Sami Salo got injured way too often.  The guy was tough as nails, but made of glass.  

Well, I don't know what you are talking about but I am trying to apply the concept of statistics to a hockey discussion about being "injury prone".  Salo was just unlucky.  Again a random distribution DOES NOT mean an even distribution for a small sample size like this.  To say that he was "tough as nails, but made of glass" is nothing more than an oxymoron.  Sorry if you don't like that but that's not just my opinion, that's basic formal logic.  GCG!

11 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Salo was constantly injured. Every time the guy stepped onto the ice he sprained a toe. 

You said there is no such thing as being injury prone. I disagree.
Why someone is "more prone" to injuries is irrelevant. 

Some guys just are. And Salo's the perfect example of that. (unfortunately for him)

And here's another fact for you: humans, despite their apparent intelligence, cling to superstition even in this day and age.  "Why" is absolutely relevant except in superstition.  It doesn't just magically happen.  That isn't enough of a reason for those of us who want to use science to find common ground on what is true.  Otherwise it is just endless speculation and superstition that gets tiring.  GCG!

Well, I don't know what you are talking about but I am trying to apply the concept of statistics to a hockey discussion about being "injury prone".  Salo was just unlucky.  Again a random distribution DOES NOT mean an even distribution for a small sample size like this.  To say that he was "tough as nails, but made of glass" is nothing more than an oxymoron.  Sorry if you don't like that but that's not just my opinion, that's basic formal logic.  GCG!

Do you work for the Coyotes or Panthers?  :lol:

Do you think Willie's passive structure, where our D are constantly getting pounded, and having to block shots can result in injuries being more likely?

9 minutes ago, nux_win said:

And here's another fact for you: humans, despite their apparent intelligence cling to superstition even in this day and age.  Why is absolutely relevant except in superstition.  It doesn't just magically happen.  GCG!

What would have been your solution to Sami Salo's endless trips to the infirmary with busted up bones?

"Here's 4L of Milk, call me in the morning" ?

Sure there are reasons some guys get injured more than others. Nobody's arguing against that.

Sometimes people are just generally more prone to being injured. You can call it bad luck, lack of proper medical observation (unlikely in his case), or whatever.

But the fact remains, some people ARE simply more prone to being injured.

Not sure what the problem is here.... unless you're just trolling... which may be the case as you already mentioned me "taking the bait" on your original post. lol

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do you work for the Coyotes or Panthers?  :lol:

Do you think Willie's passive structure, where our D are constantly getting pounded, and having to block shots can result in injuries being more likely?

Yes, as I've already said, style of play can affect injury rates (whether it is the player's natural tendency or the coach's directive doesn't matter). 

Basically all I'm saying with this whole discussion is that the concept of "injury prone" suggests some kind of curse and is therefore a kind of common superstition and has no basis in fact.  There are various real reasons why certain players get injured but blind luck is also a very real factor and that is random not magical like a curse.

And finally, how can you doubt that I'm a Canucks fan?  Shame on you.  I'm one of the few that sticks with the team through thick and thin.  Not to mention I sign off every post with "GCG!" 

GCG!

10 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

What would have been your solution to Sami Salo's endless trips to the infirmary with busted up bones?

"Here's 4L of Milk, call me in the morning" ?

Sure there are reasons some guys get injured more than others. Nobody's arguing against that.

Sometimes people are just generally more prone to being injured. You can call it bad luck, lack of proper medical observation (unlikely in his case), or whatever.

But the fact remains, some people ARE simply more prone to being injured.

Not sure what the problem is here.... unless you're just trolling... which may be the case as you already mentioned me "taking the bait" on your original post. lol

I am most definitely not trolling (if anyone is the troll it is you - but I'll leave that up to the moderators).  I am just foolishly trying to use reason to question your superstitions.  What is your fix for Sami Salo, getting out a voodoo doll?  Just why exactly do you think he is more "injury prone"?  You keep dodging the question.  I think it's simply bad luck and you think that it's some kind of weird magic that you have no interest in explaining.  That's when a rational conversation ends (if it ever even begun).  GCG!

With regards to his defensive play, anybody in here seen him play regularly?

He's got 22 points in 34 games and is only a -5. There are 6 guys on that team with a worse +/- 

That hardly seems that bad considering the offence he's providing.

To go with that he's only taken 8 minutes in penalties all season so he's def not gonna kill you there. Of the 6 guys with worse +/-, all of them have taken way more penalties than Subban as well.....

So what's the real story here?

Archived