The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall D Jordan Subban, reassign D Andrey Pedan

b3.

1 minute ago, darkpoet said:

With regards to his defensive play, anybody in here seen him play regularly?

He's got 22 points in 34 games and is only a -5. There are 6 guys on that team with a worse +/- 

That hardly seems that bad considering the offence he's providing.

To go with that he's only taken 8 minutes in penalties all season so he's def not gonna kill you there. Of the 6 guys with worse +/-, all of them have taken way more penalties than Subban as well.....

So what's the real story here?

Basically he's toooo small and stinks defensively according to Travis Green, I've never heard a coach dismiss a player as much as he does Subban. He generally has nothing positive to say, I think he will be included in any trade this year.

8 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Yes, as I've already said, style of play can affect injury rates (whether it is the player's natural tendency or the coach's directive doesn't matter). 

Basically all I'm saying with this whole discussion is that the concept of "injury prone" suggests some kind of curse and is therefore a kind of common superstition and has no basis in fact.  There are various real reasons why certain players get injured but blind luck is also a very real factor and that is random not magical like a curse.

And finally, how can you doubt that I'm a Canucks fan?  Shame on you.  I'm one of the few that sticks with the team through thick and thin.  Not to mention I sign off every post with "GCG!" 

GCG!

Coyotes and Panthers are now heavily into analytics.  It was a very sad attempt at humour, hence the smiley face.  :lol:  I can tell you're a .canuck's fan by the endless suffering apparent in the tone of your posts.  :lol:  (another sad attempt at humour). 

1 minute ago, nux_win said:

I am most definitely not trolling.  I am just foolishly trying to use reason to question your superstitions.  What is your fix for Sami Salo, getting out a voodoo doll?  Just why exactly do you think he is more "injury prone"?  You keep dodging the question.  I think it's simply bad luck and you think that it's some kind of weird magic that you have no interest in explaining.  That's when a rational conversation ends (if it ever even begun).  GCG!

Bad luck is something completely intangible. You might call it SUPERSTITION

*cough

:lol:

3 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Sorry, I temporarily lost my sense of humour when that other moron, darkpoet, started posting.  GCG!

I never used the report button until just now. First time in 14 years.
It's not really the way I roll, but I've had too many people in here flagrantly report me for simply disagreeing with them, I may as well join in the fun.

nux_win troll is blocked B)

14 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

First, I don't believe he will see the ice during a game.

Second...seriously frig off with thread derailing, meaningless discussions...pm each other..MAN.

Agreed. He's blocked. Just wants to argue...

With regards to him seeing the ice who knows? If Stecher has the flu or whatever he may get in. He looked pretty green in the face out there the other day. 

If he does play and I doubt he will, I'm sure willie will give him the 3 minutes of ice time to prove himself. 

Pretty hard to tell what you have in some player when there never given a legit chance. And other (Larsen) are allowed to flounder around for months. 

Can't wait till willie is gone. 

14 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Basically he's toooo small and stinks defensively according to Travis Green, I've never heard a coach dismiss a player as much as he does Subban. He generally has nothing positive to say, I think he will be included in any trade this year.

Are you close to the team? I'm asking because I keep hearing that, and i know +/- doesn't tell the whole story, but looking at the stats combined, there are more than a few other regulars on that team that deserve the pitchfork more than he does.

He's barely smaller than Stecher. About 1" and around 5-7 lbs depending on where you're looking that up.

Not sure if the coaching staff in Utica would be tipped off as to whether a player would actually be playing on a call up? Green knows how long Subban's been waiting for this... seems a bit much to tell him to have fun while he's playing unless he was somewhat sure he would be. Or not.... ?

Has there been any update on Stecher? 

1 minute ago, darkpoet said:

Not sure if the coaching staff in Utica would be tipped off as to whether a player would actually be playing on a call up? Green knows how long Subban's been waiting for this... seems a bit much to tell him to have fun while he's playing unless he was somewhat sure he would be. Or not.... ?

Has there been any update on Stecher? 

Stecher was at practice today.  

5 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

He was in the pool! he was in the pool!!

He's still a year younger than Stecher so getting a taste of the big club will be good for him whether he gets in or not.

Lol, Not sure how many will pickup on that Seinfeld reference

36 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Are you close to the team? I'm asking because I keep hearing that, and i know +/- doesn't tell the whole story, but looking at the stats combined, there are more than a few other regulars on that team that deserve the pitchfork more than he does.

He's barely smaller than Stecher. About 1" and around 5-7 lbs depending on where you're looking that up.

Subban will never be Stecher. Stecher learned to play D in College, Subban is making small strides( according to green) but he's getting passed by other prospects. I think he might bring a return in a package deal for those teams who are looking to re-stock the farm.

2 hours ago, nux_win said:

There's no such thing as being "injury prone".  That's one of those urban myths.  Indeed an athlete can have underlying physical abnormalities that can leave him more prone to certain kinds of injuries (even pro athletes aren't perfect physical specimens).  However those can and should be tested for and discovered by the medical staff (and in most cases that is true).  Certain players have a more reckless playing style and that can set them up for injuries but that can be seen through their play.  The rest is just blind luck.  To say that some people are consistently unlucky (which many people do) only reveals a lack of understanding of statistics.  Saying that someone is "injury prone" as if they have some kind of evil curse on them is too superstitious for me to take seriously.  For the record I have a degree in Kinesiology.  GCG!

What underlying physical abnormalities are you speaking of for an example?

I think you can definitely be injury prone.

Although it unethical to do so, the answer is in a player's DNA. (Not something a kinesiologist has access to)

Just as men can be genetically prone to baldness or as anyone can be prone to disease, people can be prone to injury. The genetic makeup of collagen can be linked to soft tissue related damage and the genetic makeup up of bones to bone fracture.

It's not magic. 

Even people with great genetics sustain injury in sport. But you can bet if someone has the genetic variations that are linked to ACL tears or fractures...With playing a professional sport...They will be more susceptible to injury. Ie. Sami Salo, Chris Tanev. Luck has a bit to do with it in that aspect. So does playing style. Obviously blocking shots and throwing the body would increase anyone's odds of being injured.

On this note: please don't draft Nolan Patrick if the opportunity arises. Unless we can gene splice that brittle mafck.

For the record I'm an electrician. But I can read. Lol.

@darkpoet now you can slam a little science down their throats.

2 hours ago, darkpoet said:

Salo was constantly injured. Every time the guy stepped onto the ice he sprained a toe. 

You said there is no such thing as being injury prone. I disagree.
Why someone is "more prone" to injuries is irrelevant. 

Some guys just are. And Salo's the perfect example of that. (unfortunately for him)

He tore a butt cheek muscle taking a slap shot...

5 minutes ago, hearditall said:

He tore a butt cheek muscle taking a slap shot...

Yeah I mentioned that in a previous post, lol

I'm not sure if it's listed in his injury catalogue... can't remember if he was out for any length of time. I do remember him winding up and taking a slapper then "errrUUHHPpfffffff"  off he goes, lol

It was Chicago 2nd round playoffs in 2009.

Then in 2010 again vs. Chicago int he playoffs, Duncan Keith sent him to the hospital with a slapshot to his nuts.

LUCKY GUY!

Archived