The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet - what channel to watch

Stormriders

I switched from Bell satellite to Telus a few weeks ago and have already been screwed up trying to record games. With Bell, it told you in the shows description if it was blacked out in our area and won't allow you to record.  Telus does not, so the first night  I recorded a game and went to watch it later, and it was blank and said it wasn't available in our area.  (Jan 5 against the Flames). It showed on a few SN stations and I didn't pay attention to the one I choose.  I know now if it's a game with another Canadian team to choose SNP, 911.

Now to this Wednesday, 6:30 it is shown on SNP 911, SN1 911, SN360.  If I choose SNP which is what I think I should choose, there is a game (Leafs vs Wings)  starting at 4:00, which is likely to end closer to 7:00, meaning Canuck's game will already be underway when we start to see it.  Should I choose one of the other SN channels and if so, which one and why?

So my question is, on Telus, how do you know what SN to choose when recording, ie what are the rules so you don't miss all or part of the game?

Thanks, and if this is in the wrong section, please move it..

IIRC (I'm a Telus user in Vancouver) use the program guide feature to scroll forward to Wednesday  @ 6:30.  The "snippet" information should tell you which of the SN channels it's on. 

(I say IIRC because that's the same way Time Warner works here in Southern California, for 2 weeks out - it's been 3 months since I used the Telus feature, but I could be wrong)

8 minutes ago, Googlie said:

IIRC (I'm a Telus user in Vancouver) use the program guide feature to scroll forward to Wednesday  @ 6:30.  The "snippet" information should tell you which of the SN channels it's on. 

(I say IIRC because that's the same way Time Warner works here in Southern California, for 2 weeks out - it's been 3 months since I used the Telus feature, but I could be wrong)

Yes, the info shows it's on for each channel, but NOT if it's blackout for me.  In my example for this Wednesday it shows it's on All those SN channels. I would just use SNP except the earlier game will likely make me miss the first 30 minutes or so, leaving we unsure of where to record it.  What I am trying to do is understand their logic so it is easy to do in the future.  

I'm on Shaw so don't know the Telus channels, but basically all you have to know is that the games are on SNP. If there's a potential schedule conflict or overlap, then check SN1 or SN360. And sometimes they will also show games on SN1-VANCOUVER, which on shaw is up in the PPV listings on 302.

I just check them all if games not on SNP. 

1 hour ago, Davathor said:

You should thank them for saving you 3 boring hours instead, most Canuck games can be summed up in a 30 second clip without missing a single exciting moment.

Beer is your friend. If its not doing it for you switch to something stronger like whisky. ;)

3 hours ago, Stormriders said:

Yes, the info shows it's on for each channel, but NOT if it's blackout for me.  In my example for this Wednesday it shows it's on All those SN channels. I would just use SNP except the earlier game will likely make me miss the first 30 minutes or so, leaving we unsure of where to record it.  What I am trying to do is understand their logic so it is easy to do in the future.  

Don't know what you're talking about with the blackout stuff, unless you're referring to the Sportsnet Vancouver Hockey channel (which only shows a few games every season). If that's what you mean then it'd make sense if Sportsnet (that's their decision, not TELUS') showed all Vancouver games there as well as whatever other channel they regularly do.

But for the games, it'll generally be on Pacific, or sometimes 360. The channel will say NHL Hockey, but the information will tell you the teams playing. Pick the one that says Vancouver vs whoever.

If you're still unsure, head to this link: https://www.nhl.com/canucks/schedule/ Hover over the game in question with your mouse and it'll show you SNP, SN360, CBC, etc. depending on where it's being shown. The Chicago game on Sunday shows 'SN', for instance, because it's on Pacific, West, Ontario and East.

18 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Don't know what you're talking about with the blackout stuff, unless you're referring to the Sportsnet Vancouver Hockey channel (which only shows a few games every season). If that's what you mean then it'd make sense if Sportsnet (that's their decision, not TELUS') showed all Vancouver games there as well as whatever other channel they regularly do.

But for the games, it'll generally be on Pacific, or sometimes 360. The channel will say NHL Hockey, but the information will tell you the teams playing. Pick the one that says Vancouver vs whoever.

If you're still unsure, head to this link: https://www.nhl.com/canucks/schedule/ Hover over the game in question with your mouse and it'll show you SNP, SN360, CBC, etc. depending on where it's being shown. The Chicago game on Sunday shows 'SN', for instance, because it's on Pacific, West, Ontario and East.

Thanks.  The blackout stuff is when we are playing another Canadian team, say Oilers. It might be broadcast on SNW and SNP.  People in Edmonton can't watch it on SNP, and we can't watch it on SNW.  I have since looked it up on SN, and it has to do with local broadcasting rights, or at least that's what they say.  

To me, it's about marketing and more money in their jeans, because it forces people that want to watch some games outside their market, they have to buy the NHL package, and more money for them.  This is despite the fact that you have already subscribed to the full SN package.  This is all outside games they designate as national broadcasts. A little confusing to say the least. 

Archived