The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT: Around the NHL Week of January (23-27) 2017

24 of the 30 NHL coaches responded to TSN's coaches poll.

Stanley Cup Favourites

Washington - 9
Pittsburgh - 8
Minnesota - 3
Chicago - 2

Eastern Conference Champions

Washington - 14
Pittsburgh - 8

Western Conference Champions

Minnesota - 11
Chicago - 4
San Jose - 4
Anaheim - 2
Nashville - 1

Best Player

Sidney Crosby - 15
Connor McDavid - 7
Alex Ovechkin - 1
Nicklas Backstrom - 1

Best defenceman

Brent Burns - 19
Shea Weber - 2
Erik Karlsson - 1
Victor Hedman - 1
Ryan Suter - 1

Best Goalie

Sergei Bobrovsky - 13
Devan Dubnyk - 7
Carey Price - 2
Braden Holtby - 2

Best Rookie

Auston Matthews - 19
Patrik Laine - 4
Zach Werenski - 1

Top coach

John Tortorella - 14
Bruce Boudreau - 6
Todd McLellan - 1
Bill Peters - 1
Joel Quenneville - 1
Michel Therrien - 1

The east conference has all 8 bottom teams that has a shot at the wildcard, the pacific is looking like a mess and looks more like a poop shoot with 3 teams having a shot at wildcard, if Calgary continues to have problems and Vancouver continues to build up wins then Rogers might see some playoff time.

John Tortorella missed tonight's game and the All Star Weekend due to a family emergency.

"Regrettably, there is a personal matter that requires my immediate attention that will force me to leave the team temporarily and miss the All-Star Game in Los Angeles," Tortorella said. "This decision was not made lightly as representing the Columbus Blue Jackets is something I am very proud of, but it is the right decision for my family and I. I appreciate the support of our organization and the National Hockey League and my hope is to be back with the team next week."

On 1/26/2017 at 11:19 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

John Tortorella missed tonight's game and the All Star Weekend due to a family emergency.

"Regrettably, there is a personal matter that requires my immediate attention that will force me to leave the team temporarily and miss the All-Star Game in Los Angeles," Tortorella said. "This decision was not made lightly as representing the Columbus Blue Jackets is something I am very proud of, but it is the right decision for my family and I. I appreciate the support of our organization and the National Hockey League and my hope is to be back with the team next week."

Columbus Blue Jackets head coach John Tortorella was not in Nashville on Thursday night for his team’s 4-3 loss to the Predators and he will also be skipping out on this weekend’s All-Star Game. The explanation given for his absence was a family emergency, which Tortorella took some time to clarify on Friday.

Tortorella explained to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus-Dispatch that he needed some extra time off to because one of his family’s dogs is in poor health. The pit bull that is owned by his son Nick, who is an Army Ranger serving overseas, is in bad shape and Tortorella felt it was important to be with his family.

Archived