The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adding a 4th Line Player (Discussion)

I will start out by saying that our 4th line has not been bad this year. Chaput, Gaunce, Skille have not hurt the team, but I am thinking of adding a character guy to plug into that 4th line. A guy that can drop the mitts when necessary, chip in with a big goal every so often, while not being a liability. I believe that Mike Richards would be a perfect fit. While his off the ice problems have been documented, I truly believe that he has moved passed that and be a piece that could help the organization reach the goal of making the playoffs this year. Richards plays a gritty game, kills penalties, steps up in big games, and knows what it takes to win.

When fully healthy, the addition of Richards would shape the forward lines like this 

Danny-Hank-Hansen

Baer-Bo-Burr

Granny-Sutter-Loui

Gaunce-Richards-Skille

Do you guys believe that adding to the 4th line is necessary? Do you think that Richards would be a worthwhile addition? Any other players that fill that gritty, character type mold that we should be interested in? 

No thanks.  Chaput's fared decently well, has he not?  He's fought when challenged (when he boarded Zajac he took on John Moore), he's scored this season and has decent hands (scored on Calgary), is a decent face-off man (51.8% as of now) and I don't think he's that big of a liability out there.  

Richards on the other hand might be over-the-hill in his career, is he not?  It's at best a marginal add and I don't think it should be a priority.

6 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Richards played a gritty game, killed penalties, stepped up in big games, and knew what it took to win.

FTFY.

I'd rather drag B-Mo out of retirement.

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I like Richards, but if canucks are going to do anything to their forth line we need a fast hard hitting player.  We need a player that can wear down a teams d in a 7 game series.  Right now we extremely soft upfront without dorsett.

I like Skille on the fourth line than Dorsett tbh. 

9 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I will start out by saying that our 4th line has not been bad this year. Chaput, Gaunce, Skille have not hurt the team, but I am thinking of adding a character guy to plug into that 4th line. A guy that can drop the mitts when necessary, chip in with a big goal every so often, while not being a liability. I believe that Mike Richards would be a perfect fit. While his off the ice problems have been documented, I truly believe that he has moved passed that and be a piece that could help the organization reach the goal of making the playoffs this year. Richards plays a gritty game, kills penalties, steps up in big games, and knows what it takes to win.

When fully healthy, the addition of Richards would shape the forward lines like this 

Danny-Hank-Hansen

Baer-Bo-Burr

Granny-Sutter-Loui

Gaunce-Richards-Skille

Do you guys believe that adding to the 4th line is necessary? Do you think that Richards would be a worthwhile addition? Any other players that fill that gritty, character type mold that we should be interested in? 

Since 2011 he's had 4 fights (lost 3 of them) against such 4th line fighters as Colin Folin, Shane Doan, Logan Couture and Brandon Dubinsky...not exactly character fights (ie/ standing up for teammates or after a goalie gets run etc). I think we have gritty 4th line guy who drops 'em and chips in a goal here and there...his name is Derek Dorsett. In the same timeframe that Mike Richards has had 4 fights, Derek has had 55 fights (going 21 wins / 24 losses / 10 draws) against players such as John Scott, Anthony Peluso, Deryk Engelland, Kyle Clifford, Michael Ferland, Zac Rinaldo, Matt Martin, Chris Neil, Kevin Bieksa etc etc etc. (a bit tougher crowd if you ask me)...and at times has been the ONLY guy on the ice who sticks up for his teammates.

Just now, Odd. said:

I like Skille on the fourth line than Dorsett tbh. 

In regular season sure, But in playoffs, no thanks. We don't have any players who can get in on the forcheck and make the opposing D second guess themselves.  Torres was able to do that for us in 2011.  We saw how Ferklund made our D crumble. 

After 3 or 4 games straight of getting drilled into the boards, it causes D to panic.  We could call up labate or Jake.  But with the current lineup we don't have that pressure, the opposing teams D has time and space to make the simple play, and because of that they will be just as fresh in game 7 as they were in game 1. 

29 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

Since 2011 he's had 4 fights (lost 3 of them) against such 4th line fighters as Colin Folin, Shane Doan, Logan Couture and Brandon Dubinsky...not exactly character fights (ie/ standing up for teammates or after a goalie gets run etc). I think we have gritty 4th line guy who drops 'em and chips in a goal here and there...his name is Derek Dorsett. In the same timeframe that Mike Richards has had 4 fights, Derek has had 55 fights (going 21 wins / 24 losses / 10 draws) against players such as John Scott, Anthony Peluso, Deryk Engelland, Kyle Clifford, Michael Ferland, Zac Rinaldo, Matt Martin, Chris Neil, Kevin Bieksa etc etc etc. (a bit tougher crowd if you ask me)...and at times has been the ONLY guy on the ice who sticks up for his teammates.

There is no timeframe for the return of Dorsett. What is the harm in a 1 year contract? He would give more offense than what Chaput is bringing right now no?

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I like Richards, but if canucks are going to do anything to their forth line we need a fast hard hitting player.  We need a player that can wear down a teams d in a 7 game series.  Right now we extremely soft upfront without dorsett.

What he said. I am of the opinion that if you are going for that prototypical 4th line sandpaper these days, the way to do it is through speedy sparkplugs. Older, slower, fist-throwing battleships are too easy for the other team to exploit on icings and last team matchups. If you want sandpaper, find someone that can skate like the wind, turnstile the other teams D,and arrive to throw into a hit before the other team braces properly. 

Its also always nice when the speed helps to cover mistakes and positioning errors. Makes it a lot harder for exploitation lines to match to our fourth. 

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

No thanks.  Chaput's fared decently well, has he not?  He's fought when challenged (when he boarded Zajac he took on John Moore), he's scored this season and has decent hands (scored on Calgary), is a decent face-off man (51.8% as of now) and I don't think he's that big of a liability out there.  

Richards on the other hand might be over-the-hill in his career, is he not?  It's at best a marginal add and I don't think it should be a priority.

I like what he brings.  Works his tail off like Hansen and battles hard.  Him and Guance just need to get some bounces going their way.

14 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

What would be the point?

I could see tweaking the 4th line if we were about to make a Cup run, but not right now.  Any moves that are made should be made with the future in mind.  This move does not accomplish that.

Auston Watson (6'4, 11pts this season) from Nashville would be a better upgrade on the fourth line. And call up Grenier or Labate. 

Labate-Chaput-Watson

Grenier

This would be a larger, more skilled version of our fourth line. 

Edit: I do think our fourth could use a serious upgrade

39 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

What would be the point?

I could see tweaking the 4th line if we were about to make a Cup run, but not right now.  Any moves that are made should be made with the future in mind.  This move does not accomplish that.

But does it hurt the future? Why not add a guy that has been there before to try to get the most out of our group? 

Archived