The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Expansion and the TDL for Vancouver who goes and who stays?

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:08 PM, orcasgonewild said:

First off you make some good points.

Burrows and Miller should go

Id resign Burrows in the off-season tho 

But trading Tanev is stupid bcuz he keeps the defence in check.

Edler trade is also stupid because management wants to keep him just like they want to keep Sedins.

U are crazy if you think Sbisa isn't the odd man out therefore I think he should be traded as well.

Id also say a Gudbranson trade is stupid because they just traded for him and thinking he's gonna leave the team after half a season playing injured is ridiculous. 

And lastly, trading Hansen is awesome but if we got juulsen and a 3rd back id be disappointed af. Juulsen is overrated garbage.

I do however like Hansen for bowey but that's unrealistic to think they'd get rid of they're top d prospect for a 31 year old. Albeit they could use him. 

Yeah, but did you think they would get rid of Forsberg for Erat... You never know

On 1/25/2017 at 10:54 AM, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

.....zzzzzzzz......

Prepare to be disappointed.  Miller will be re-signed.  Burrows and Hansen won't be traded.  A Dman makes sense to move but the market is paralyzed.  I'm starting to agree with Forsberg that Edler will be exposed.  I suspect that we've tried to trade him several times, and not because I don't think he's good.

Just to make sure everyone knows the rules of the expansion draft, I've copied and pasted the following from the NHL web site:

Protected Lists
* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft: 

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

My research shows that only the Sedins and Eriksson have NMCs.

2 minutes ago, sockeye said:

Just to make sure everyone knows the rules of the expansion draft, I've copied and pasted the following from the NHL web site:

Protected Lists
* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft: 

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

My research shows that only the Sedins and Eriksson have NMCs.

Wtf.  Thanks, but I'm one of four guys on here that get the rules.  I'm saying that exposing Edler as an enticement to leave our forwards alone is starting to look like a plausible outcome, considering that we need to open a roster spot and I assume that they've tried to move him before.

At Trade Deadline:

To WAS:
Jannik Hansen 
2017 CBJ 2nd Rounder

To VAN:
Daniel Winnik
Madison Bowey 

Hansen provides the Capitals with an experienced, high speed, 200 ft player that they'll need for a playoff run, and WAS cap dumps Daniel Winnik's contract onto the Canucks. In return, Canucks get Madison Bowey. Capitals most likely will lose Orpik in the expansion draft so they'll have to re-sign Alzner. Hansen will be their temporary replacement for Oshie as they'll lose him to free agency. 

At Draft Day:

To COL:
Madison Bowey
Sven Baerstchi
Jake Virtanen 

To VAN:
Matt Duchene

Colorado gets it's young RHD, emerging middle six scorer, and a raw prospect in exchange for a great player they've been trying to move out for a while now. Realistically the Canucks probably have to add in a pick to get this deal done. Duchene provides the transitional player the Canucks need as Horvat continues his progress and Sedins end out their careers. 

To ARZ:
Chris Tanev

To VAN:
Max Domi
2016 ARZ 2nd Round Pick

Tanev's value will probably never be higher, and the Canucks get a promising young forward as well as re-coop a pick they traded off earlier. 

Projected 2016/17 Line-up:

Duchene-Horvat-Eriksson 
Sedin-Sedin-Boeser
Granlund-Sutter-Domi
????-Gaunce-????

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Tryamkin
Gudbranson-Subban

Miller
Markstrom

In the grand scheme of things, Canucks lose quite a bit (Hansen, Baertschi, Virtanen, and Tanev in trades, Sbisa in expansion draft) but add to the next core of their forward group (Domi, Duchene). 

Archived