The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mary Tyler Moore Dead at Age 80

DonLever

First celebrity death of 2017.

Mary Tyler Moore, iconic TV actress from the 1960's, 1970's, dead at age 80.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/2017/01/25/mary-tyler-moore-dead-at-age-80-publicist-says.html

from AP:

NEW YORK—Mary Tyler Moore, the star of TV’s beloved The Mary Tyler Moore Show whose comic realism helped revolutionize the depiction of women on the small screen, died Wednesday, said her publicist, Mara Buxbaum. She was 80.

In a career that began as Happy Hotpoint, the dancing and singing three-inch pixie in Hotpoint appliance commercials on The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet in 1955 when she was 18, Moore went on to star in television and films and on Broadway.

Moore gained fame in the 1960s as the frazzled wife Laura Petrie on The Dick Van Dyke Show. In the 1970s, she created one of TV’s first career-woman sitcom heroines in The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Her death, at Greenwich Hospital, was confirmed by the family. The cause was pneumonia. A family member said she had been removed from a respirator on Tuesday night. Moore had Type 1 diabetes since her early 30s.

“She was an impressive person and a talented person and a beautiful person. A force of nature,” said producer, creator and director Carl Reiner, who created the The Dick Van Dyke Show, told The Associated Press. “She’ll last forever, as long as there’s television. Year after year, we’ll see her face in front of us.”

25 minutes ago, DonLever said:

First celebrity death of 2017.

Mary Tyler Moore, iconic TV actress from the 1960's, 1970's, dead at age 80.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/2017/01/25/mary-tyler-moore-dead-at-age-80-publicist-says.html

from AP:

Made me think of....

Oo-ee-oo I look just like Buddy Holly
Oh-oh, and you're Mary Tyler Moore
I don't care what they say about us anyway
I don't care bout that 

Weezer  - Buddy Holly

2 hours ago, Kragar said:

I feel old.  I just told a co-worker about this... and the reply was "Who?"

Sigh.

RIP MTM, and thanks.

You think that's bad I mentioned Marilyn Monroe in conversation to a 30 year old co-worker and got the same response. How is that even possible?

50 minutes ago, nucklehead said:

You think that's bad I mentioned Marilyn Monroe in conversation to a 30 year old co-worker and got the same response. How is that even possible?

Reminds me of the time on a episode of Amazon Race where contestants were shown a picture of a famous woman.   None of the late 20's, early 30's people could identify her.

It was Jackie Kennedy, wife of John F. Kennedy!  One of the most famous woman of the 20th century.

2 hours ago, nucklehead said:

Well, considering she died 25 years before that co-worker was born, I could see how it's possible.

I mean, what's next, getting pissed off because nobody remembers Charlie Chaplin? People fade into obscurity, even the famous ones.

23 hours ago, Mustapha said:

Well, considering she died 25 years before that co-worker was born, I could see how it's possible.

I mean, what's next, getting pissed off because nobody remembers Charlie Chaplin? People fade into obscurity, even the famous ones.

Not pissed off, shocked and baffled. She's an enduring cultural icon that is still referenced in advertising and movies and novels. she is linked to presidents and world leaders and suspected of spying and of being killed for what she knew. To me failure to recognize this shows a serious gap in ones education.

And frankly I would expect people with a grade 12 education to know about Chaplin, and Clark Gable and Humphrey Bogart and James Dean. Admittedly it's been a few years since I've been to school.

EDIT: Just thought I'd throw this in for good measure, from msn: Still Talking About Marilyn. Wow

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/celebrity/judy-garland’s-shocking-revelation-about-marilyn-monroe-‘she-asked-me-for-help’/ar-AAmhx71?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp

I have to wonder if this is even still propaganda put out to propagate the official story. It goes on...

12 hours ago, nucklehead said:

Yep, that's worse... MM is much more iconic, and if the coworker pays any attention to movie culture, that's pretty shocking.  Crazy.

2 hours ago, Kragar said:

Yep, that's worse... MM is much more iconic, and if the coworker pays any attention to movie culture, that's pretty shocking.  Crazy.

There are pop culture examples all over the place. The restaurant scene with Thurman and Travolta in Pulp Fiction, the (Snickers?) commercial with Willem Dafoe, Elton John's Candle in the Wind.....

Anyone not knowing who Marilyn is, even in this day and age has been sheltered.

Archived