The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Nikita Nesterov to Montreal

HowYaDrouin

Smart deal for the Canadiens.

Nesterov had "bolting to the KHL" all written over him (as another poster said) but I could see him sticking around Montreal. Helps that they have a few Russians on the roster (most notably Radulov and Markov). He'll likely slot right into the bottom pairing with a chance to move up once he learns Montreal's system and shows some consistency in his play in a Canadiens uniform. This is looking like another sly steal by the Canadiens (and the gamble they took on Radulov is paying off quite well, truth be told).

Not exactly sure why the Lightning made this deal. Do they have somebody to replace Nesterov in the minors? The Lightning's defensive depth isn't that great and losing Nesterov is a bit of a blow to them. Racine doesn't have much in the way of NHL experience -- so are they confident with what they've seen in him from the AHL to call him up right away? What's the thinking?!? Is Jack Dotchin ready for a full time NHL position? Or are they going to call up Matt Taormina?!? Or does this signal another move from the Lightning?!? I'm interested to see.

(Fun fact with Racine -- he was drafted the Panthers, dealt to the Canadiens (his hometown team since he's born in Montreal), and now is back in Flordia with the Lightning. Weird how things work lol).

6 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Nesterov had "bolting to the KHL" all written over him (as another poster said) but I could see him sticking around Montreal. Helps that they have a few Russians on the roster (most notably Radulov and Markov). He'll likely slot right into the bottom pairing with a chance to move up once he learns Montreal's system and shows some consistency in his play in a Canadiens uniform. This is looking like another sly steal by the Canadiens (and the gamble they took on Radulov is paying off quite well, truth be told).

Not exactly sure why the Lightning made this deal. Do they have somebody to replace Nesterov in the minors? The Lightning's defensive depth isn't that great and losing Nesterov is a bit of a blow to them. Racine doesn't have much in the way of NHL experience -- so are they confident with what they've seen in him from the AHL to call him up right away? What's the thinking?!? Is Jack Dotchin ready for a full time NHL position? Or are they going to call up Matt Taormina?!? Or does this signal another move from the Lightning?!? I'm interested to see.

(Fun fact with Racine -- he was drafted the Panthers, dealt to the Canadiens (his hometown team since he's born in Montreal), and now is back in Flordia with the Lightning. Weird how things work lol).

I think they making room for Koekkoek

11 minutes ago, Quantum said:

the Bolts have a lot of depth on D, especially with the emergence of Witkowski, plus Koekkoek is better than Nesterov already. Not to mention he's an RFA and they're against the cap

Archived