The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fans outside the Lower Mainland and BC, why do you cheer for the Canucks?

mta

I was born and raised in Kamloops BC and always loved the Canucks even though my dad was an oilers fan. 

I moved to Alberta 16 years ago and I must say it's been tough being a nucks fan here. Constantly battling and defending our team against flamers and oiler fans. I've heard it all on the Front lines here. And sometimes you guys from the coast and certain players on the team make it difficult to defend our team (riots, biting etc.) but I'm still in the trenchs going hard hoping for a cup.  

Born and raised on V.I., who else was I going to cheer for? Now I wear the colors proudly in Alberta. Interesting fact- when I wear Canucks gear to games in Edmonton I've even had fans congratulate me on the Canucks play when they beat the Oilers, generally pretty classy folk. Calgary? I've almost had to throw down on numerous occasions after games . I'm not without blame, I like to partake in expensive hockey beers because the tickets are usually free, but Calgary fans.......let's just say the Canuck hate is stronger there.

Growing up in Victoria I could listen to Tom Larschied and Jim Robson going off about the Steamer, King Richard and the Tiger on the radio while my parents thought I was sleeping.

Howie Meeker's telestrator was a big selling point as well.

Mostly geography I guess - but the curse of being interested has stuck ever since.

I was born and raised in Vancouver and my dad took me to my first Canucks game in 1954 (I think) at the old PNE Forum against the Edmonton Flyers. My dad was a sports junkie and we would go to as many Canucks, Lions and Vancouver Mountie games as we could, great memories. Still fondly remember Brooks Robinson as my favorite Mountie and Tom Larscheid being one of my favorite Lions when he came to Vancouver in the early 60's.

We remained huge fans of the Canucks after they made it to the NHL and always talked about what it would be like if, and when, we ever won the Cup. My dad lived long enough to see the first two Cup finals for the Canucks and it almost broke his heart (and mine) to see the Canucks lose to the Rangers. He had a bottle of Balblair 1989 single malt that he said we would drink to celebrate the first Canucks' Stanley Cup. I still have that bottle today waiting for that Stanley Cup....beginning to think I may have to pass it on to my grandsons for them to celebrate that occasion.

2 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Born and raised in Langley, my dad was a leafs fan and I hated them, it took years and years but finally turned him to the good side. I was always wearing some kind of Canucks apparel everyday as a kid (and Seahawks) I've suffered as a professional sports fan for years, only the Seahawks have won a championship in my lifetime, nothing for the Canucks, Mariners or Grizzlies

Don't worry, I'm sure Memphis will win a championship one of these years.

I'm a BC boy...(where everything East of the Rockies is considered Newfoundland)...so I guess I'm living in Newfoundland. Canucks are BC's team.

Once you go "blue and green" you never change colours...no matter where in the world you may live.

It's hard to explain, but once its in the blood, it's impossible to change loyalty to another team.

13 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I'm a BC boy...(where everything East of the Rockies is considered Newfoundland)...so I guess I'm living in Newfoundland. Canucks are BC's team.

Once you go "blue and green" you never change colours...no matter where in the world you may live.

It's hard to explain, but once its in the blood, it's impossible to change loyalty to another team.

Yeah, maybe it's a matter of those who have suffered through some darker years to then come out and see something like a Cup run.  Maybe it's an incurable disease, and we're stuck for life ^_^

Myself, I grew up in the Lower Mainland, and the Canucks have been a big part of my life since they started in the NHL.  Stuck with the team even when friends were dumping on them in years prior to the '94 run.

I've lived in Southern California for close to 20 years now.  No way in hell I would switch any allegiance to a local team, or any other team, for that matter.

GCG!

6 hours ago, The Game said:

I was five years old in the spring of 2000 when I saw Modo, my favorite team, play Brynäs in the semi finals of the Swedish league playoffs. Modo's top line was called "Line 19" and consisted of Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin and Mattias Weinhandl (all of which were 19 years old at the time). They were dynamite, I remember one game where they combined for six goals, scoring two each and dominating every shift. Sadly Modo lost the in the finals to Djurgården, but I still loved the Sedins.

During the summer I found out that my favorite players were gonna move to Canada to play in the NHL and a team called the Vancouver Canucks. I remember thinking that they had super cool jerseys and instantly became a fan. One day my dad told me that if I wanted we could go see the Canucks play against Modo in Stockholm. I was super pumped and it was the greatest game I'd ever seen. I also got a white orca jersey that I wore like every day for a year. 

Ever since then I've been a Cancks fan, I thought Markus Näslund was super cool and I always hated Peter Forsberg because he got all media attention in Sweden (I started crying when I found out that Peter had passed Markus in scoring in the last game of the season back in 2003.) In high school I used to get up at 4 am and watch the Canucks play at least once a week, I was so bummed out in 2011 when Brad Marchand scored the empty net goal to make it 4-0 that I went to bed again (it was like 6 am Swedish time) and I supposed to work in the morning. 

I wish the Canucks could win a Stanley Cup in my lifetime, and hopefully I'll be able to make the trip to Vancouver when they do, but you never know...

Your English is outstanding..What do you think of fellow Swedes Ohlund and Sundin ( a little before your time)?  If you ever come to Ottawa you can look me up and stay at my place too and if you time it right we can go watch Vancouver beat on the Sens and Montreal together with my brother.  Nice to see fans abroad share their stories and learn what impact the glorious Swedish Hockey players that have blessed our team have made all over the world.

10 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Yeah, maybe it's a matter of those who have suffered through some darker years to then come out and see something like a Cup run.  Maybe it's an incurable disease, and we're stuck for life ^_^

Myself, I grew up in the Lower Mainland, and the Canucks have been a big part of my life since they started in the NHL.  Stuck with the team even when friends were dumping on them in years prior to the '94 run.

I've lived in Southern California for close to 20 years now.  No way in hell I would switch any allegiance to a local team, or any other team, for that matter.

GCG!

I hear you bro...must have been hard to see Willie Mitchell playing for the Kings and winning the Cup

I also like the fact that when they win I'll actually witness their 1st cup. Same with my football team the Eagles. The Lakers and Yankees are my other 2 favourites and I can say them winning it all would have a fractional bit of happiness for me than if I was to see both the Eagles and Canucks win.

Fun fact:

My eagles made it to 1 superbowl since I started watching, lost a close one to the Pats. Canucks made 2 but I was to young for the 1st and they lost to Boston in a close series. I HATE BOSTON!!!

34 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I was born and raised in Vancouver and my dad took me to my first Canucks game in 1954 (I think) at the old PNE Forum against the Edmonton Flyers. My dad was a sports junkie and we would go to as many Canucks, Lions and Vancouver Mountie games as we could, great memories. Still fondly remember Brooks Robinson as my favorite Mountie and Tom Larscheid being one of my favorite Lions when he came to Vancouver in the early 60's.

We remained huge fans of the Canucks after they made it to the NHL and always talked about what it would be like if, and when, we ever won the Cup. My dad lived long enough to see the first two Cup finals for the Canucks and it almost broke his heart (and mine) to see the Canucks lose to the Rangers. He had a bottle of Balblair 1989 single malt that he said we would drink to celebrate the first Canucks' Stanley Cup. I still have that bottle today waiting for that Stanley Cup....beginning to think I may have to pass it on to my grandsons for them to celebrate that occasion.

That's a great story.  I hope you get to crack that now very aged bottle and share it with your family.  Thankfully we have a GM that isn't rushing things and transitioning the core the right way by allowing the Sedins, Burrows and Miller to provide mentorship in a relatively winning environment.   Horvat will help lead us to our first cup and the wait could be sooner than later.

Teams are so close now talent and depth wise anyone has a chance if they make the playoffs.  Used to be that the bottom seed was 30-40 points behind the top seed and now that's often cut in half and the top ten are separated by a small margin.  

Up until 2010 my hockey experience was from loosely watching a couple of international tournaments and playing NHL 2002 with a buddy back in the day. Then the IIHF WC came to Germany and we won 2-1 in OT against the US in the opening game. Ehrhoff was my favourite player at the tournament and I started following the NHL a bit. The Canucks were one of the top teams at that time and they were fun to watch. Cue the cup run and I was hooked. Didn't matter much that Ehrhoff was gone shortly after that.

was a Habs fan in the 70's until 82, when i became a Nux fan...loved Richard Brodeur.

later when Calgary got a team, i also became a flames fan, cause i was living there at the time.

in 94, i decided whoever won the playoff series between the Nux and Flames thats who would be my sole team going forward.

the Nux won in crazy fashion as most of you remember...and days after they beat the flames, i moved to Van and now live in the interior and am a die hard Nux fan, hate the Lames with a passion!  my 2nd teams are Panthers and Habs...but dont really care if the Nux arent there.

Bo Canucks Bo!!!  :towel:

42 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

That's a great story.  I hope you get to crack that now very aged bottle and share it with your family.  Thankfully we have a GM that isn't rushing things and transitioning the core the right way by allowing the Sedins, Burrows and Miller to provide mentorship in a relatively winning environment.   Horvat will help lead us to our first cup and the wait could be sooner than later.

Teams are so close now talent and depth wise anyone has a chance if they make the playoffs.  Used to be that the bottom seed was 30-40 points behind the top seed and now that's often cut in half and the top ten are separated by a small margin.  

57 minutes ago, Team Bagues said:

Growing up in Victoria I could listen to Tom Larschied and Jim Robson going off about the Steamer, King Richard and the Tiger on the radio while my parents thought I was sleeping.

Howie Meeker's telestrator was a big selling point as well.

Mostly geography I guess - but the curse of being interested has stuck ever since.

We used to watch the games on a 20inch TV which was the equivalent to a 50 inch today with the volume off and listen to the radio.  I also spent 29 years in Victoria and mostly grew up there...Went to Doncaster Cedar Hill and then moved home to Castlegar...Also lived in Elkford (even B.C. folks don't know where that is) Wanita ( another esoteric tiny town) Vancouver and spent summers in Castlegar where I was born and Penticton.  All those places has Canucks fans.  Family knew the Ferraros and players from the World Champion Trial Smoke Eaters ( whose jerseys were honoured as top fifteen all time by the Hockey News last year in their jersey issue).  

Loved listening to Bures early years on the radio...

Archived