The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fans outside the Lower Mainland and BC, why do you cheer for the Canucks?

mta

Grew up in Ontario with older brothers who were Leafs and Habs fans. Same thing with my roommates in University. 

Started cheering for them in the mid 90s because:

- It annoyed the above people

- Pavel Bure

- They were fun to play in the first NHL game (NHL 94 I believe)

-The Sens were a new team closer to home but were really really bad in those early days. 

Live in Ottawa now but still watch every game! Go Canucks Go!

I've seen much darker times than these. 

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

I was born and raised in Vancouver and my dad took me to my first Canucks game in 1954 (I think) at the old PNE Forum against the Edmonton Flyers. My dad was a sports junkie and we would go to as many Canucks, Lions and Vancouver Mountie games as we could, great memories. Still fondly remember Brooks Robinson as my favorite Mountie and Tom Larscheid being one of my favorite Lions when he came to Vancouver in the early 60's.

We remained huge fans of the Canucks after they made it to the NHL and always talked about what it would be like if, and when, we ever won the Cup. My dad lived long enough to see the first two Cup finals for the Canucks and it almost broke his heart (and mine) to see the Canucks lose to the Rangers. He had a bottle of Balblair 1989 single malt that he said we would drink to celebrate the first Canucks' Stanley Cup. I still have that bottle today waiting for that Stanley Cup....beginning to think I may have to pass it on to my grandsons for them to celebrate that occasion.

If the Canucks ever win the Stanley Cup, it would be sure nice to have a drink of Balblair...hope you do someday...good story.

26 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I hear you bro...must have been hard to see Willie Mitchell playing for the Kings and winning the Cup

I could at least feel good for him... I always liked Willie, and it was too bad he wouldn't stay.  Can't blame him for leaving, and I don't blame Canuck management for playing it safe and limiting their risk.

But yeah.  I live in OC, so closer to the Pond.  I work in LA area, for a big company, and there are plenty of Kings fans there.  As a whole, they aren't too obnoxious (maybe because they are less die-hard than I am), but sometimes I just get sick of hearing about Quick and Doughty, and the rest.

I sure loved it a couple years back, Canucks ran up a good score against the Ducks (5-1, perhaps), and not only were a good portion of the crowd making the familiar Roger's arena cheer "Whooooooo" after the scoring details are announced after a Canuck goal, but there were enough green and blue in the stands to get the wave to persist for a good number of laps.  Got full value for my tickets that day!

the canucks used to be the farm team of the new york rangers before they got their own franchise. i've said before that andy bathgate and larry popein, canucks before they moved up to the rangers, lived in my neighborhood. us young teens got to meet and get to know them.  we used to shag flies for their batting practises. great guys.

It's BC so Vancouver is BC's team, just like the Jets are Manitoba's team.  However from what I've seen while living in Kelowna for a short while there are fans of different teams, mostly Ottawa and Chicago for some reason.

I was born & raised in Vancouver so Vancouver is my obvious choice.  But back in the early 80's I followed the Islanders as much as I could as Mike Bossy was a beast to watch, same for Pat LaFontaine which is my all time favorite NHL player.  And I was fortunate enough to see the 2 SCF games vs the Islanders.

Although i was growing up in Vancouver I didn't really take much interest in the Canucks at first.

I loved playing the sport but watching it? Meh.

Didn't really help that the Canucks were not a very good team at that point. My first Canucks hockey memory was watching the game that mathematically eliminated the canucks from making the postseason in the 99-00 season. My first NHL game was April 5, 2001 - Harold Druken scored the overtime winner that secured Vancouver's postseason dreams.

I moved to Ontario in the summer of 2007 so I am not able to watch as many games as i would like due to the time difference and blackout restrictions, but i still love my Nucks.

I've always enjoyed cheering for the underdog and watching the team grow from the 0-4 sweep at the hands of the Avalanche that year all the way to game 7 of the 2011 finals was a tremendous joy. Watching this new generation of underdogs coming up with be just as rewarding an experience i'm sure. ::D

:towel:Go Canucks Go:towel:

4 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I could at least feel good for him... I always liked Willie, and it was too bad he wouldn't stay.  Can't blame him for leaving, and I don't blame Canuck management for playing it safe and limiting their risk.

But yeah.  I live in OC, so closer to the Pond.  I work in LA area, for a big company, and there are plenty of Kings fans there.  As a whole, they aren't too obnoxious (maybe because they are less die-hard than I am), but sometimes I just get sick of hearing about Quick and Doughty, and the rest.

I sure loved it a couple years back, Canucks ran up a good score against the Ducks (5-1, perhaps), and not only were a good portion of the crowd making the familiar Roger's arena cheer "Whooooooo" after the scoring details are announced after a Canuck goal, but there were enough green and blue in the stands to get the wave to persist for a good number of laps.  Got full value for my tickets that day!

Yeah, Willie is a great guy...remembers where he came from...bought "away" and "home" jerseys for all levels of his minor hockey rep hockey association. Great touch.

I remember coming down from the North Island with a group of people including Willie's parents for a Minnesota Wild game. We had a box suite in the arena. Everyone in the group had a Wild jersey on..except for me, I had my Linden jersey on, During the game, the Nucks had a 3-0 lead, the Wild scored their first goal and everyone in the box cheered...the strangest thing I ever experienced at a Canuck game occurred then...Canuck fans were fingering us (giving us the bone), telling us to go home, and saying lots of other pleasant stuff. This unbecoming behaviour occurred another 3 times because Minnesota came from behind to win 4-3. Willie took us out for drinks after the game at the Yale...he paid for all the rounds...great time; maybe the only time, I didn't mind the Canucks losing a game.

Lived in BC until 2001.  Followed the Canucks since '91.  Just because I moved to Calgary doesn't mean I'm going to flip which team I cheer for.

Cheering for the Canucks while among all the fans of a rival team is a challenge for sure, but that only deepens the resolve for my team.

I was born and raised in Mississauga, Ontario (30 min west of Toronto)

Never really had a team growing up, just followed players. Drake Berehowsky is a family friend (my father and uncle taught with his father families became close) even though he was only a Canuck for a cp of coffee I loved the guys on the team like Bert, Nazzy and Jovo and stuck with the Canucks ever since.

33 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Yeah, Willie is a great guy...remembers where he came from...bought "away" and "home" jerseys for all levels of his minor hockey rep hockey association. Great touch.

I remember coming down from the North Island with a group of people including Willie's parents for a Minnesota Wild game. We had a box suite in the arena. Everyone in the group had a Wild jersey on..except for me, I had my Linden jersey on, During the game, the Nucks had a 3-0 lead, the Wild scored their first goal and everyone in the box cheered...the strangest thing I ever experienced at a Canuck game occurred then...Canuck fans were fingering us (giving us the bone), telling us to go home, and saying lots of other pleasant stuff. This unbecoming behaviour occurred another 3 times because Minnesota came from behind to win 4-3. Willie took us out for drinks after the game at the Yale...he paid for all the rounds...great time; maybe the only time, I didn't mind the Canucks losing a game.

Awesome experience that must have been.  Strange thing, I think I was at that game!  Up visiting family, and I dragged my dad out to what turned out to be a depressing loss to the Wild (he took me to many games back in the Coliseum days, so was returning the favor, and recapturing some of those good times).  Sure depressing to have that happen at home, though.

Sucky response by those fans, but it happens unfortunately.  I've been lucky here among the Ducks crowds, but I don't think I draw much attention, and often can find some Duck fan to get along with nearby and talk civilly about the game.

7 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Awesome experience that must have been.  Strange thing, I think I was at that game!  Up visiting family, and I dragged my dad out to what turned out to be a depressing loss to the Wild (he took me to many games back in the Coliseum days, so was returning the favor, and recapturing some of those good times).  Sure depressing to have that happen at home, though.

Sucky response by those fans, but it happens unfortunately.  I've been lucky here among the Ducks crowds, but I don't think I draw much attention, and often can find some Duck fan to get along with nearby and talk civilly about the game.

Actually, there was some very clever banter that came from it all that made the game very entertaining. There is always two sides to a battle and by no means was the box innocent. Kind of like CDC

Loving the stories, CDC. Especially the ones from people outside of BC.

My story is simple, I was born on Vancouver Island and my first hockey memory is of my Dad screaming at the TV, waving a white dish towel around, cursing viciously at the refs during the SCF in '82. I learned a lot of new words and a passion for the Canucks at 4 years old. Thanks Dad?!

My Mom likes to remind us how many cups the Habs have.... Thanks Mom. (Shakes head)

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I was born and raised in Vancouver and my dad took me to my first Canucks game in 1954 (I think) at the old PNE Forum against the Edmonton Flyers. My dad was a sports junkie and we would go to as many Canucks, Lions and Vancouver Mountie games as we could, great memories. Still fondly remember Brooks Robinson as my favorite Mountie and Tom Larscheid being one of my favorite Lions when he came to Vancouver in the early 60's.

We remained huge fans of the Canucks after they made it to the NHL and always talked about what it would be like if, and when, we ever won the Cup. My dad lived long enough to see the first two Cup finals for the Canucks and it almost broke his heart (and mine) to see the Canucks lose to the Rangers. He had a bottle of Balblair 1989 single malt that he said we would drink to celebrate the first Canucks' Stanley Cup. I still have that bottle today waiting for that Stanley Cup....beginning to think I may have to pass it on to my grandsons for them to celebrate that occasion.

::D Lovely story...Always good to have something to look forward to. Enjoy the drink....soon hopefully.

From Australia but played hockey. In thee 90s you couldnt really watch it here so i was more a fan of the game than any one team. Then around 2007 lived in Vancouver a couple of years and the rest is history.  Sucks i can rarely talk hockey let alone canucks hockey with anyone. But i also dont get game day spoilers and nhl.tv and the forum keeps me up to date. 

Grew up in Alberta in the 80's where the Oilers and Flames were firing on all cylinders.   I guess I have always been a fan of the under dog.  

-Linden and McLean during the Cup run.

-Cliff Ronning

-The Russian Rocket

Lots of reasons really. 

Grew up on the east side of the rock pile (as a matter of fact I grew up 3 miles up the road from Jim Bennings grandparents and went to school with Elmer, Jims dad). Back then there was no Canuck team  so was happy to cheer on Montreal.

Moved to BC in the early   80's -  had a friend that was really into the Canucks and started following them. I liked what I was seeing

What else is there to say - I still like what I see for the most part -  they keep me entertained - but then again I am old and easily entertained(maybe)

OMG think I just gave my age away

Canucks are my favorite team - I do kinda follow Edmonton as well just cause I like watching McDavid

1 hour ago, Al-mo said:

Grew up in Alberta in the 80's where the Oilers and Flames were firing on all cylinders.   I guess I have always been a fan of the under dog.  

-Linden and McLean during the Cup run.

-Cliff Ronning

-The Russian Rocket

Lots of reasons really. 

meh, Calgary had it easy.  Was *NEVER* a true expansion club - they inherited a .500 club (back when a .500 record was respectable), playoff team Atlanta Flames.

Us?  We got the crap nobody else wanted when we entered the league (granted ALOT few teams then - but it was a far more closed world then [eg., players from outside the continent].

Archived