The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HMV Canada Closing All 102 Stores Soon

DonLever

2 hours ago, gurn said:

The only boxing day sale I've been to was A&B Sound Victoria.

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

where do you live? plenty of physical media shops exist. if you're near victoria ever, check out Ditch Records

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Nanaimo, there's a few locally run places I can still get music but having HMV at Woodgrove has always been kinda nice? I can go there for the newer stuff and I've found some more obscure stuff there too. Metal can be a pain to find.

There are places you'll still find the big names but places dedicated to music obviously have more of a selection. Next time I'm in Vic I'll def give em a look though!

Lyle's Place in Victoria is still around.

32 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I like their stores...

Good place to buy music, they usually have a full wall dedicated to DVDs and boxsets. I almost always get some kind of Christmas gift for friends or family there. 

I'll miss it. It's too bad I was racking up the points in that card program they just rolled out. 

You have time to redeem. They aren't closing for a few weeks yet. 

I went into.HMV over the holidays to grab my wife a CD...they didnt have it in stock and said they order it and it would be in in 10 days. I went home and downloaded it....its just the way it is now...we are living in the now generation. Everything at our fingertips when we want it. I havent had cable in over a year. I watch every Canuck game...regularly watch the Comets too...its all online. Cable TV will be the next victim, I give it 5 more years. 

I hate the way music/television/movies are sold these days.

It was always an experience to go to a record store or a video store. Sure, it wasn't as convenient as the way things are done now, but that what part of the fun.

Modern technology is slowly sucking all of the fun out of life. Soon we'll all just be lifeless blobs with smartphones attached to our brains via neural interface, negating the need for any real interactions with people or the outside world.

3 hours ago, Green Building said:

This reminds me a little bit of the story about how Netflix killed Blockbuster. I find it amazing how these massive companies either do not or can not evolve beyond their primitive (yes I'm calling CD's and movie rentals primitive, definitely hard copy rentals) technology when the writing is more or less right on the wall in the form of trends. 

I remember buying piles of singles at HMV. Piles. A&B Sound too, even lined up for their incredibly pointless Boxing Day sales when I thought I needed to save %10 on 5 new albums. Now I happily enjoy Spotify, and am exposed to different artists at the click of a button. This internet stuff is amazing, and even though I know little of how to run a huge corporation, it still surprises me how a giant company like HMV couldn't get a finger or 2 in it when they had the chance. 

Ironically, Blockbuster had the opportunity to buy Netflix for like 2 million dollars at one point.

Edit: I actually do miss going into these kind of stores when I was a kid/teen and browsing around. Best was when you were a kid, would go with your family to the local video store, Rogers, Blockbuster etc; adults would rent one thing, would rent a couple movies for the kids/teens, grab a video game as well.

Kids today won't have that experience anymore, just sit at home by themselves in their room and stream a movie on their tablet device.

A&B Sound was a treat. Always good prices. Always good selection. When they shut down I knew it was the end of that way of distribution. There's something satisfying having a hard copy of something. Be it BluRay/DVD/CD/Cassette/Record. The best part of growing up was a new cassette or DVD. Plugging it into your discman or walkman and listening to it on the way home. 

I miss the dedicated sound system stores too. Back when the quality of sound was something you really cared about. Not so sure in the digital era that means as much. 

I used to love going to A&B, and picking up 4-5 new CDs a month. But Spotify is far cheaper, and infinitely superior.

Loving when singles or special editions of albums are on there. Hearing new songs from my favourite bands that were released years ago, and yet I'm only hearing them now. For instance, discovered the song Harry Patch by Radiohead recently. It is fantastic... And it's from 2009! I used to search out and buy (later DL) all the Radiohead singles I could find, but it was too expensive and/or time consuming.

Was a pretty good place, with pretty good prices. I went in there pretty often whenever a favourite artist dropped a new CD because they'd always have it on release day.

I'll just have to find somewhere else to do my shopping. Too bad.

Still lots of Record and CD shops left.

Red Cat Records and Neptoon on Main Sell both used and new releases. Neptoon doesn't sell new CD's ,but Red Cat does.

Red Cat also has 2 locations now, the other being in North Burnaby.

Audiophile and High Life on Commercial Drive in East Vancouver.

Beat Street Records, Vinyl Records and Sikora Classical Records all on West Hasting Street between Hamilton  and Richards.

Selectors Records a new store for electronic music and dub opened in June of 2015.

Zulu Records for new and used Lp's and CD's on West 4th in Kits has made a mini comeback as well since down-sizing the location in 2015 to include VideoMatica, who sell both new and used DVD and Blue-Rays.

Lots of little shops that sell both used LP's and CD's All over the lower main land.

New and used seem to be the way to go in the last 10 to 15 years in Vancouver. Chains like HMV didn't do themselves any favors by being in malls and on Robson Street in the downtown core. I find it a little shocking that the Metrotown location was losing money , as it was always busy anytime i went in.But the rent, i imagine was out of this world and was one of the factors did the Robson and Burrard location in 2011.

4 hours ago, gurn said:

Crazy Bob's records out in Langley

Victoria:

The Turntable in Fantan Alley

Ditch Records

Nanaimo

Fascinating rythm

Crazy bobs used to love that place 90% of my comic book collection came from that place plus the guy truly loves music and the written word.

19 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

A&B Sound was a treat. Always good prices. Always good selection. When they shut down I knew it was the end of that way of distribution. There's something satisfying having a hard copy of something. Be it BluRay/DVD/CD/Cassette/Record. The best part of growing up was a new cassette or DVD. Plugging it into your discman or walkman and listening to it on the way home. 

I miss the dedicated sound system stores too. Back when the quality of sound was something you really cared about. Not so sure in the digital era that means as much. 

Blame ipods feels like it has been the downfall of the musical age.i felt at the end the prices of CDs at a&b sound were sometimes twice the cost of future shop which is gone aswell.

Archived