The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pavel Bure named one of NHL's 100 Greatest Players

Harvey Spector

Tge only one that seemed really out of place to me was Lindros. He had a couple dominant seasons with the Legion of Doom line but is hardly deserving of being named as one of the top 100 of all time.  I don't think he even deserves to be in the hall of fame. 

39 minutes ago, WeatherWise said:

Apparently, the NHL has created individual features for each player to accompany their selection.

Here is Pavel's feature:

Awesome.  Just pure awesome.  Best skater with the puck ever and managed to still do it from the dawn of the dead puck era right into the heart of it with guys hooking and holding.

6 hours ago, HOFsedins said:

Tbh I think the greatest player of all time is Sidney Crosby. If you compare him with Gretzky apples to apples, I think Crosby is number 1. With how hard the league is nowadays compared to back then, its amazes me with how talented he is and all that he has accomplished so far. Crazy that he still has so many years left in him too.

MAYBE you can make the argument that if you threw Gretzky in today's NHL, Crosby would be better.

That said, I think Lemieux is better than both of them. Lemieux actually had a higher career PPG than Gretzky prior to his comeback in the dead puck era. 

Gretzky had his two big years 1. before Lemieux was in the league and 2. When Lemieux was a rookie (Lemieux still managed 100 points as a rookie). 

Lemieux had a higher GPG. PLUS Lemieux was huge and could punch faces pretty well when he needed to. 

But could Lemieux play in today's NHL? You bet. What I find insane is that after not playing a single game for three and a half seasons he came back and put up 76 points in 43 games in the tight checking early 2000s. From then, until now, no player (with a minimum of 40 games played in a season) has scored that high of a points per game. 

Unfortunately Lemieux didn't even get to 1000 games. A full, healthy career, he would be more in more GOAT arguments. 

4 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Tge only one that seemed really out of place to me was Lindros. He had a couple dominant seasons with the Legion of Doom line but is hardly deserving of being named as one of the top 100 of all time.  I don't think he even deserves to be in the hall of fame. 

Obviously you did not see him play. He was a dominate player who was big and strong but could handle the puck like nobodies business. Being on the Legion of Doom made him that much more dominant but he did OK on his own. He stick handled like the Sedins but was big and strong and was very difficult to body him off the puck. Hated it when he played the Canucks.

15 minutes ago, Emmetts said:

Toews is a better all around player then crosby

No he's not. People take 'he's better defensively' and then decide 'he's a better all around player.

Crosby is better than Toews in the vast majority of categories:

Shot: Crosby

Vision/Passing: Crosby

Skating: Crosby

Puck Control: Crosby

Puck Protection: Crosby

Shutting down opposition: Toews

FOs: Toews

PP: Crosby

PK: Toews

Which player would you choose?

IMO Crosby is the most talented to ever play the game. The NHL views its history with rose-colored glasses.

16 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

No he's not. People take 'he's better defensively' and then decide 'he's a better all around player.

Crosby is better than Toews in the vast majority of categories:

Shot: Crosby

Vision/Passing: Crosby

Skating: Crosby

Puck Control: Crosby

Puck Protection: Crosby

Shutting down opposition: Toews

FOs: Toews

PP: Crosby

PK: Toews

Which player would you choose?

IMO Crosby is the most talented to ever play the game. The NHL views its history with rose-colored glasses.

I agree with most of that but man Crosby was almost automatic at faceoffs in the finals last year

32 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Obviously you did not see him play. He was a dominate player who was big and strong but could handle the puck like nobodies business. Being on the Legion of Doom made him that much more dominant but he did OK on his own. He stick handled like the Sedins but was big and strong and was very difficult to body him off the puck. Hated it when he played the Canucks.

I saw him play a lot.  Doesn't deserve hall of fame or top 100 

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

Keith has 3 Stanley Cups, 2 Norris, 2  Olympic Golds, and a Conn Smythe.

You don't have to like him but I think he's pretty worthy to be in the top 100.

I think it's more a matter of being a "new gen" player. People love to look back at old greats and consider them the best. It feels weird seeing current players as being part of the greatest ever, but it does make sense for some. 

8 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Gretzky: Orr, Lemieux, and I 'would have been pretty good at 3-on-3'

Cory WilkinsJan 27 2017, 5:55 PM

They'd be unbeatable.

Three of the greatest players to lace up skates spoke as part of the All-Star Game festivities in Los Angeles on Friday.

Alongside Bobby Orr and Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky summarized the three greats with the perfect one liner.

"The three of us would have been pretty good at 3-on-3," Gretzky joked.

PLAYER GAMES GOALS ASSISTS POINTS
Gretzky 1487 894 1963 2857
Lemieux 915 690 1033 1723
Orr 657 270 645 915

The trio are arguably the best to take the ice in the 100-year history of the NHL, with a host of combined accolades: Eight Stanley Cups, 18 Art Ross Trophies, 15 Hart Trophy wins, 10 Lester B. Pearson awards, and six Conn Smythes.

Lemieux just dwarfs the other two. 

Pavel is the most dynamic and most talented Canuck of all time.  

I wonder how Pavel would do in todays game - he would probably be at least as dominant.  How much more dynamic would he be with no center line off side and no clutch and grab like the old days.    Guys used basically water ski behind him while trying to slow him down, not to mention all of the interference that gets called today.  Granted goalies and D men are better today.

I hope I get to see another guy like that on our team in my life time.

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Lemieux just dwarfs the other two. 

If they were all the same age and up for the draft today and you had the first over all pick who would you pick?

I would take Lemieux  - he was a giant and he would probably dominate todays style game more than the other two...

51 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I agree with most of that but man Crosby was almost automatic at faceoffs in the finals last year

Don't disagree. I gave it it to Toews just so the other poster wouldn't argue with me. When you line up individual attributes and compare Sid to Toews, its not even close. Toews is not even the best player on his own team. And I like Toews, and he's done some amazing things, but there are a dozen players I'd take over Toews right now.

Nice to see Bossy, Bure, LaFontaine and Federov up there.

Pavel is the most dynamic and most talented Canuck of all time.  

I wonder how Pavel would do in todays game - he would probably be at least as dominant.  How much more dynamic would he be with no center line off side and no clutch and grab like the old days.    Guys used basically water ski behind him while trying to slow him down, not to mention all of the interference that gets called today.  Granted goalies and D men are better today.

I hope I get to see another guy like that on our team in my life time.

Bure played during the 2-line pass rule era, without the 2-line pass he'd fly past everyone, kind of how McDavid does it now but Bure had ridiculous off-the-line acceleration.  Not to mention skates today are a lot lighter than they were 20 years ago.

8 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Gretzky: Orr, Lemieux, and I 'would have been pretty good at 3-on-3'

Cory WilkinsJan 27 2017, 5:55 PM

They'd be unbeatable.

Three of the greatest players to lace up skates spoke as part of the All-Star Game festivities in Los Angeles on Friday.

Alongside Bobby Orr and Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky summarized the three greats with the perfect one liner.

"The three of us would have been pretty good at 3-on-3," Gretzky joked.

PLAYER GAMES GOALS ASSISTS POINTS
Gretzky 1487 894 1963 2857
Lemieux 915 690 1033 1723
Orr 657 270 645 915

The trio are arguably the best to take the ice in the 100-year history of the NHL, with a host of combined accolades: Eight Stanley Cups, 18 Art Ross Trophies, 15 Hart Trophy wins, 10 Lester B. Pearson awards, and six Conn Smythes.

God that would have been epic. 

19 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

If they were all the same age and up for the draft today and you had the first over all pick who would you pick?

I would take Lemieux  - he was a giant and he would probably dominate todays style game more than the other two...

I think I'd have a hard choice between a healthy Lemieux and a healthy Bobby Orr in their prime. Those are 2 of my favourite players ever. Along with Gordie Howe. 

How about a first line of Howe, Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr, and Niedermeyer? 

It is really hard to compare great players in different era's, as every era has a new type of player that evolves. It's hard not to argue that Gretzky is the best of all time with what he accomplished, but in the 80s he was one of those players who had evolved way ahead of everyone. The 90s had more players evolve after Gretzky, so again their in a different era, so it's hard to compare them but Lemieux imo is one of the best to ever play. Bure brought another element of speed to the game that no one had seen since Orr imo, and his scoring ability was impressive very talented and exciting.

There's no question Crosby is up there with Gretzky and Lemieux, he's another player who was and is ahead of his era like Gretzky was. But like back then when Lemieux arrived we are seeing it again with McDavid now who will be compared to Crosby by the end of his career I believe. 2020 will hopefully have a new era of a player to evolve, that will be interesting.

Archived