The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pavel Bure named one of NHL's 100 Greatest Players

Harvey Spector

On 29/01/2017 at 8:49 AM, Salacious Crumb said:

It's embarrassing how many retired numbers we have for no cups. 10 & 11 that's it.  

I think this is why the ring of honour was created. It just feels like the retired jerseys were becoming Canuck participation ribbons. There are many players who have been there for the city. This should be for the play on the ice alone. We have 4 players up there who don't even have 1000 points. That's the sad thing. Circumstances change things of course, but that fact still remains. 

On January 28, 2017 at 10:43 AM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not sure why people keep bringing up Cup wins in this....unless he was like Patrick Roy in 1986, that achievement reflects more the team he was on than an individual feat.

Keith was the backbone, for the Hawks in all three playoff runs. Logging huge minutes, playing in key situations. 

Saying Malkin, Iginla or Thornton should be on the list over Keith, is a moot point. One is a forward and the other is a defensemen. Keith is undoubtably the best two-way defensemen in his era (2005-present day). He's the modern day Scott Niedermayer, and that's why he's worthy of being on the list. 

FYI, all 10 defensemen who have won the Conn Smthye, were named to the top 100. 

On January 28, 2017 at 3:36 PM, terrible.dee said:

Yep BS picks

It's not a list of the top 100 MOST SUCCESSFUL players, it's supposed to be the BEST

If I were Malkin in particular, I'd be pissed

On any given day over the last decade you could say Malkin is the best player in the world and I wouldn't have been able to argue with you, this is major disrespect going his way and I'm guessing that he notices it.

To be the greatest or the best, you need to be successful. They are one and the same.

I do agree with all of you that Malkin should be considered on the list, not much so Iginla or Thornton. 

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

Keith was the backbone, for the Hawks in all three playoff runs. Logging huge minutes, playing in key situations. 

Batman & Robin are hardly chopped liver (Toews & Kane - Conn Smythe's, Art Ross, Hart, Selke trophies, etc.,).  They were a three headed monster not a 'one man gang' IMHO.

On 1/28/2017 at 0:34 AM, HOFsedins said:

Tbh I think the greatest player of all time is Sidney Crosby. If you compare him with Gretzky apples to apples, I think Crosby is number 1. With how hard the league is nowadays compared to back then, its amazes me with how talented he is and all that he has accomplished so far. Crazy that he still has so many years left in him too.

I guess you didn't ever watch games back then.  I will always say that was a MUCH harder league to play in.

#1  STICKS.  Nowadays the sticks allow you to get shots off faster not allowing reaction time for saves.  Back then shots didn't have the velocity.  Wood and then aluminum just didn't flex and whip like they do now.

#2  REFFING.  The clutching, grabbing, holding, hooking and slashing were out of control.  Look back at some of the goals and see what kind of interferences were going on.  It is amazing anyone ever scored.   Prime example watch many of Lemieux's best goals and see who was draped over him.

So I will always argue against that crap of it being so much easier in the 80-90's.  Trevor Linden says hi about his beat downs in the finals.

Archived