The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 100: 2000s: Henrik and Daniel Not on LIst?

gameburn2

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I can't believe anyone is questioning the inclusion of Toews.  The only player I would rather have had for the last decade is Crosby.

No kidding.  For several years Toews was the only player anyone would consider better than Crosby during his concussion issues.  Of course after last year Crosby is firmly back on the mantle.  These guys did a LOT in ten years and could retire now and be shoe ins for the Hall.  Keith I can see arguments either way as some of his best play came after 2010.  

Like everyone else whom saw the list before this thread I also scanned quickly through hoping to see the Sedins.  They were correctly left off considering their best seasons occured right at and after the cut off date and had a large pile of guys ahead of them in the 2010s.  Personally I think Iginla and StLoiuis should have made the cut over Keith and somebody else given that they were two of the most dominant players that decade.  Thornton maybe too but he managed only one season at the top and never won anything but that season.

On 28/01/2017 at 11:42 PM, Justdean10 said:

same with Kane,Toews and Keiths best years outside of 2009.

To be accurate if they felt they needed that many players then Iginla St.Louis and Thornton should have replaced Kane Toews and Keith.  Cups weren't completey required so Thornton and Iginla were deserving.  Nobody has as many points as Thornton since he joined the league closing in on twenty years ago as teen ager and Iginla won the Art Ross in 2002 along with the Lindsay/ Pearson award the Richard trophy in 2002 and 2004 Olympic gold in 2002 and 2010 World Cup gold in 2004 and the King Clancy in 2004 and wrapped up the decade as an early Messier leadership award in 2009.  For a couple years he was considered the best in the league.  St.Louis has a similar story but you could at one more Art Ross a Stanley Cup and one of the best stories considering what he accomplished coming into the league late and willing himself into the line up and then up the depth chart right to the top echolon of the sport.  

I remember watching a documentary on HBO about the Broad Street Bullies in the 70's . I was pretty fascinated by the stories ( mostly told by Bobby Clarke)  of how it was common practice for the team to drink and smoke in the dressing room after a game and most of the team being regular smokers. I'm pretty sure with modern conditioning and defensive coaching systems these teams couldn't beat a modern AHL team. 

I do give credit to the fact that their are generational talents of the past like a Guy Lafleur who didn't look totally out of place during his comeback attempt , or a Dale Hawerchuk who still looks like he could play, but there is some old Hall of Famers that might not have made the cut if they partied like Shane O'Brien ,never went to a gym , and played in the modern NHL.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:33 AM, Westcoasting said:

How important and what exactly have they done that is innovative?

The short-passing game as well as the cycle.  Nobody did it like them.  If they'd had a better winger and a faster start to their careers (I blame the coaches for the latter) they would be 250 points up from where they are.   Most under-rated superstars ever.  Earlier generations of players had underrated players as well -- Federko, Adam Oates, Serge Savard.  A lot of them.  But the Sedins were special.  I love Toews, but he is not in their class. Sorry.

Archived