The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Future is better than most see it

Hortankin

3 hours ago, dura_mater said:

Really?  I wasn't aware of that, sounds too good to be true.  Any examples of this happening recently?  Would it be the last first round pick as compensation?

lmgtfy

The Canucks would get a 2nd round pick in the spot in that round that  the original 1st round pick - that did not sign - was taken.  So they move down a round.

Picks taken after the first round that don't sign = no compensation.

Not going to happen with Boeser in any event.

On January 28, 2017 at 6:25 PM, Hortankin said:

Bo Horvat is participating in this year's all star game in his 3rd season! Wow who would have guessed that when we were all disappointed about losing Schnieder. To all those people saying Bo is a future 2nd liner at best you are wrong, he's our number 1. 

Brock Boeser is almost certainly going to be a 25-40G scorer consistently throughout his career and almost a sure bet to be Horvat's winger for many many years.

I may get ripped on for this but I honestly believe we have our other future first line winger in Virtanen. I believe Virtanen will be a better version of Bertuzzi and he will be a key element in our first cup in franchise history.

A second line of Baertschi, Sutter, Granlund sounds pretty good in 2-3 years they will be a lot better.

Third line of the twins and Eriksson will be the best 3rd line in the NHL.

Our D is set for years to come, Benning deserves a HUGE thank you for how fast he turned our terrible D around.

And with Markstrom and Demko I feel we will be blessed in goal for years to come as well.

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Baertschi Sutter Granlund

Sedin Sedin Eriksson 

Juolevi Gudbranson

Tryamkin Stecher

Hutton/Edler Tanev

Demko

Markstrom

So many option for 4th line but by the way I see things shaping up we will be a legit contender in 2-3 year. Playoff bound for sure next year, and maybe ever this year!

Totally agree but they still need a top line centre. I definitely see Horvat as a 1B + captain but they need a high end offensive talent centre to compliment him.

13 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Totally agree but they still need a top line centre. I definitely see Horvat as a 1B + captain but they need a high end offensive talent centre to compliment him.

I think Bo has the potential to be top centre, look at Patrice Bergeron, playing behind Tornton before Joe got traded and Sullivan saw his potential and made him a first line in his second or third season.  Bo led Canucks in points in the second half of the season last year as a 4th liner, he's still growing and think of how he'd be on first line.

23 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

I think Bo has the potential to be top centre, look at Patrice Bergeron, playing behind Tornton before Joe got traded and Sullivan saw his potential and made him a first line in his second or third season.  Bo led Canucks in points in the second half of the season last year as a 4th liner, he's still growing and think of how he'd be on first line.

I hate to break it to you but with Sutter missing most of last season, Bo was our 2nd line center. He was 4th among all forwards in ice time per game with 17:07 behind Henrik 18:22, Daniel 18.20, and Sutter 17:58 (who only played 20 games).

6 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Buffalo hangs up...I don't think Canuck fans would like the price tag for Reinhart.

Well, unless we get a couple of young forwards to replace the Twins (and darned soon) we are going to have a horrific decade coming.  We will be finishing in the middle of the pack and picking in the middle of the first round, most likely missing out on the top forward prospects - kind of like we have missed on the top forward prospects over the last 3 drafts:(

13 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I hate to break it to you but with Sutter missing most of last season, Bo was our 2nd line center. He was 4th among all forwards in ice time per game with 17:07 behind Henrik 18:22, Daniel 18.20, and Sutter 17:58 (who only played 20 games).

You're wasting your time Baggins... This has been said at least 200 times over the last 3 months... Some people just don't get it.

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Well, unless we get a couple of young forwards to replace the Twins (and darned soon) we are going to have a horrific decade coming.  We will be finishing in the middle of the pack and picking in the middle of the first round, most likely missing out on the top forward prospects - kind of like we have missed on the top forward prospects over the last 3 drafts:(

seems we're middle of the pack with the Sedins. So if the twins retire and we haven't replaced them how do we make it to the middle of the pack?

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

seems we're middle of the pack with the Sedins. So if the twins retire and we haven't replaced them how do we make it to the middle of the pack?

So when the Twins retire, we (unintentionally) tank, and draft top 5?  I guess that's good?  Uggg... We seem so screwed either way. :(  Boeser needs to be a Bossy, and Juiolevi needs to be a Lidstrom.  We deserve those two to be super elite!

The Fwd group is where we need work however there the ground work is there. I'm excited to see how Gaudette turns out. I'm optimistic on Bowser but trying to take the hype with a spoonful of salt. I trust when JB says he is "not worried about Virtanen's offence that he will have no trouble scoring goals" JB has a very good handle on what he expects and how players develop in different ways and different rates Virtanen is in hockey school right now. Bae Bo and Granlund are absolute beauties. I haven't noticed Gaunce once all season which means he is doing his job and transitioning nicely to becoming a good future shutdown 3C for us which I wasn't sure he would ever make the shift to accepting that his future was as a bottom 6 NHL player or AHL lifer looks like he's made the right choice unlike Jensen. Guance has been so quiet I'm actually really excited about him I fully expect as he gains confidence to see huge leaps in improvement from him in the next couple of seasons. 

Bae Bo 

Gran Gaud Boeser

Virtanen Gaunce   

Add a support group of Loui, Sutter, Dorse to that and the beginnings are there. 

Were about 1 elite 1st line player away from having a future playoff contender and with how we are set in goal and on D the heavy lifting has been done to build a playoff team. Stech, Juolevi, Gud, Tram, Hutton, Sbisa, Mark, Demko. 

My guess would be around 2020 we will see our team take the next step.

Vets (30+):

F: Daniel, Henrik, Eriksson, Hansen, Burrows, Dorsett

D: Edler

G: Miller 

Youth (20-somethings) moving forward:

F: Horvat, Sutter, Baertschi, Granlund, Gaunce, Rodin, Megna

D: Tanev, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Hutton, Stecher, Tryamkin, Larsen

G: Markstrom

Up and Coming:

F: Boeser, Grenier, Cassels, Zhukenov, Stukel, Gaudette, Lockwood 

D: Juolevi, Subban, Pedan, Brisebois, Olson

G: Demko, Garteig

1) Hoping JB can trade a vet or more at the TDL (Edler, Burrows, Miller?), for a winger for Bo or high picks.

2) Build the team around Horvat (forget trying to find the Sedins a winger).

3) Sign a backup goalie for Markstrom.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Vets (30+):

Up and Coming:

1) Hoping JB can trade a vet or more at the TDL (Edler, Burrows, Dorsett, Miller?), for a winger for Bo or high picks.

Mceneney may prove to be a solid addition to our D core as well.

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Vets (30+):

Up and Coming:

1) Hoping JB can trade a vet or more at the TDL (Edler, Burrows, Dorsett, Miller?), for a winger for Bo or high picks.

Good list. I will borrow it. 

I bolded the players that stand to be as effective as Jan Bulis, Bryan Allen or Cracknell in 10 years time; Nothing players, plugs, filler. Cassels? Is he still pretending to be an AHL'er? 

Once the vets are gone, the roster is these players and the next wave has a highly unlikely chance of making a difference, never mind the team. 

I dont share the the hope or the hype about the youth. This class is on par with a roster packed with Mason Raymond calibre players. One year at a time, like a cup team, there can be a few draft additions. 

This amusment ride will get old faster than some are willing to envision. I'm nearly convinced that they missed the boat on the rebuild curve. Looking at that reserve list is not helping. Sure, the D is and should be fine, not great, but fine. It's still a project back there. By the look of it, the forward group will be a slow burn of Horvat and Sutter. They waited too long. 

I wish I saw the roster the same way as some of you, but I lack the "cheer anyways!" ability. 

On 2017-01-29 at 9:48 PM, WeneedLumme said:

You know, when someone points out facts that refute your position like:

"Second, Gaudette is tied for 8th overall, 7th overall in PPG, and the only Sophomore in the top 10 - all the others are Jr and Srs. "

and you just ignore the facts and attack the person who pointed them out, it makes you look very dishonest.

Ummm...what the hell are you talking about.??...I posted 2 FACTS and the only moronic thing oldnews did to "refute" them was to call them "absurd claims". So when he "refutes" facts by calling them "absurd claims" that somehow makes him honest? Your. Brain. Clearly. Does. Not. Work. Hopefully spelling it out like this will clarify your bizarre stance.

2 minutes ago, theilluminati said:

Ummm...what the hell are you talking about.??...I posted 2 FACTS and the only moronic thing oldnews did to "refute" them was to call them "absurd claims". So when he "refutes" facts by calling them "absurd claims" that somehow makes him honest? Your. Brain. Clearly. Does. Not. Work. Hopefully spelling it out like this will clarify your bizarre stance.

Guess I didn't make it simple enough for you. When Gaudette's scoring is in the NCAA top 10, and he is the only sophomore in the top 10, for you to claim that his production is mediocre or average is obviously either stupid or dishonest. In your case I am guessing both.

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

So when the Twins retire, we (unintentionally) tank, and draft top 5?  I guess that's good?  Uggg... We seem so screwed either way. :(  Boeser needs to be a Bossy, and Juiolevi needs to be a Lidstrom.  We deserve those two to be super elite!

I'm not concerned either way. We either have the replacements when they retire or get them when they retire. I fully expected the rebuild to take 4 to 7 years. That's just how long a full rebuild takes. We're just in year 3 and they're building from the net out. Patience doesn't seem to be an Alf virtue.

7 hours ago, theilluminati said:

you can't just combine the freshman year with the ongoing sophomore year and call it a day.  The current year's production is much higher than his first year, indicating significant improvement/growth and in the current season, he's top 10 in NCAA scoring and the only sophomore.

14 hours ago, spook007 said:

You're wasting your time Baggins... This has been said at least 200 times over the last 3 months... Some people just don't get it.

Sadly I'm a flawed man. When I see stupidity I have to point it out. ;)

Archived