The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Future is better than most see it

Hortankin

How can you put expectations on a 19 yr old to be a 25-40 goal scorer? I mean yeah he most "certainly" will be a 0-40 goal scorer, no doubt, but boeser is a prospect who has, yes, outdone himself. Who also just had wrist surgery. Who also played on a stack UND team last year. Yes I love boeser and want him to great just as much as the next but I see you as a problem with this fan base. You set the expectations of the world on this kid and when he doesn't score "25-40" in his rookie year he will be a bust. Look, there's teams like Calgary, Edmonton, Tampa bay, Colorado even for that matter that are years ahead of us in terms of forward and and proespect depth. Yes we have some intriguing prospects, but don't hold them accountable for taking us from subpar to a "contender". Let this game and our young guys play this out ffs, for one, please. Vancouver has a huge problem with expectations with the crazy media, you're just gasoline to the fire m8.

11 minutes ago, Nigerian said:

How can you put expectations on a 19 yr old to be a 25-40 goal scorer? I mean yeah he most "certainly" will be a 0-40 goal scorer, no doubt, but boeser is a prospect who has, yes, outdone himself. Who also just had wrist surgery. Who also played on a stack UND team last year. Yes I love boeser and want him to great just as much as the next but I see you as a problem with this fan base. You set the expectations of the world on this kid and when he doesn't score "25-40" in his rookie year he will be a bust. Look, there's teams like Calgary, Edmonton, Tampa bay, Colorado even for that matter that are years ahead of us in terms of forward and and proespect depth. Yes we have some intriguing prospects, but don't hold them accountable for taking us from subpar to a "contender". Let this game and our young guys play this out ffs, for one, please. Vancouver has a huge problem with expectations with the crazy media, you're just gasoline to the fire m8.

We're Canucks fans, man. 

This is how sports work.

23 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

We're Canucks fans, man. 

This is how sports work.

Some of the worst fans to have a hockey conversation with, to be quite honest.  

"Luongo Sucks" was the dumbest sentiment that was spread religiously by the fans for years.  

Fans that listen to Team 1040 and repeat whatever the hell those goofs are spreading on there.  

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

"Luongo Sucks" was the dumbest sentiment that was spread religiously by the fans for years.  

Fans that listen to Team 1040 and repeat whatever the hell those goofs are spreading on there.  

I felt more of a Schneider is better vibe.

Team troll40 sucks.

13 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That's the difference between your average bandwagoner who tunes in every once and a while to an actual fan who knew that Luongo was priceless to our team. Its unfortunate that people don't choose to educate themselves and choose to look at every year as a failure when in fact there are many aspects of the team to be excited about. And you bet your butt I'm stoked for Boeser, Gaudette, and company. When was the last time we had so many prospects to look forward to? Its natural for us to fantasise about these kids, especially when they're still shiny and new. I think most of us on CDC can agree that the "team 1040" isn't on the same page with what is actually going on.

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

The groundwork for Vrbata i agree would have been much tougher, and would have needed to be done while his value was high the season prior. Hammer was the most sought after defensemen on the market at a time when the market was high on defense, Hammer indicated he would have been interested in pulling an Antoine Vermette style move if management was willing to facilitate and re-sign him in the offseason, they would not. There is a scenario here where it isn't too hard to imagine Hamhuis being moved and re-signing with us ( I would take Hammer and keeping our 5th over Philip Larsen), but the fact remains we didn't and Benning didn't even approach him for an extension in the off season. Also, Hammer wasn't presented with a deal that would send him to Chicago until less than a week prior to trade deadline.

Point is, there is plenty a GM can do in that situation to facilitate a deal, and to pro-actively seek a trade partner earlier than just a week prior to trade deadline. We just didn't do it. And if you can't see that as a huge lost opportunity or at least as a series of missteps last year, then I'll agree to disagree with you here Baggins.

For the record, i am over it, but until management shows they've learned from this experience, this needs to be brought up as an area of concern and they need to be held accountable. Bleeding value and picks has been our theme in the last two years, we need to stop that and end up with more picks for our drafting guru GM to work with.

After acquiring Gudbranson there was no point in re-signing Hamhuis. The objective is to get younger. Both Guddy and Larsen are definitely younger. I'd take either over Hammer at this point.

With a team goal of making the playoffs how does moving your top goal scorer after a 30+ goal season make any sense. It's been brought up before Vrbata should have been moved after his 30 goal season but it flies 100% against the team goal to make the playoffs. On top of that what does it say to any future UFA's that could have interest in signing here? Do well can we'll cash in by immediately moving you. That's EA management, not real life.

I don't think more time would have made any difference. Hammer picked where he would go and wouldn't accept anything else. Benning said he was getting inquiries 3 weeks before the deadline but no actual offers. GM's were kicking the tires. Would an extra week have made any difference to that? Washington, the top team in the league, made an offer on that weekend but he refused to go there. Do yiou actually believe Hammer would have gone to Washington had he been approached a week earlier?  I don't. Both players tied Bennings hands.

You think Hammer was the most sought after d-man? Why did Dallas offer more to Calgary for Russell than they did for Hammer? Because Hammer was their second choice. Dallas even tried to re-sign Russell but (or his agent) he overpriced himself so badly (5 yrs @ 5m) he was still available in September. Which again made Hammer their second choice signing him as a UFA instead of Russell. So you're right, we'll just have to agree to disagree. NTC's get you players at a decent price, but they can also bite you in the butt. I'd wager Vrbata wouldn't have signed here without the NTC so it's pointless saying it's Bennings own fault. That's just sour grapes.

23 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Hindsight is neat.

considering what he inherited he has done a pretty good job of restocking. Yes there have been some poor decisions but look at our roster 3 years ago vs now

If he did a good job of restocking we'd already be considered a good, young, up & coming team by now. Literally nobody thinks this is the case except Canucks homers.

22 hours ago, Baggins said:

If we cleared out the vets and bottomed out as you suggest, we'd have a team of career AHL'ers with a couple of top picks. Which would be like Edmonton's lengthy run at the bottom of the league. Stars but nothing to go with them.

Toronto had years of drafting and developing before bottoming out. Meaning their quick turnaround wasn't actually that quick. They already had a good prospect pool. Our prospect pool on the other hand couldn't fill a water glass.

I never once said bottom-out and don't support draft picks with quality veterans. Just because Edmonton botched their rebuild doesn't mean the same would happen to us.

Toronto didn't have much of a prospect pool at all before Shanahan got there. Rielly, Gardiner and Kadri are good young roster players but only one of these guys was young enough to be considered a prospect at the time.

21 hours ago, DSVII said:

I'll also disagree with Kanucks25 on a full strip down then, we need to keep the Sedins/Burrows/Edler, but there were moveable veterans we needed to capitalize on. I was willing to forgive the inaction on Hamhuis had we resigned him for cheaper, but that wasn't the case.

I prefer the "scorch the earth" rebuild but understand the significant importance of surrounding prospects with quality veterans. The Sedins are perfect players for this role.

21 hours ago, Baggins said:

I call garbage on that one. Both knew exactly where they stood. Over 30 pending ufa's on a non-playoff rebuilding team. Not exactly out of the blue that they'd be trade bait. It's what happens to players in that situation every year. Both tied Bennings hands. Period. There's nothing a GM can do about that. NTC's are given for a better monetary deal. Some players are reasonable at the end of that deal about being moved, others aren't. That's just the way it goes. Teams lose players to free agency every year. Get over it. And if you think Benning waited till the last day to even start looking for deals you're completely out to lunch.

I wonder if Leafs fans cry as much about losing Sundin for nothing after he had 78 points in 74 games. Now that's a lost opportunity. But he used his ntc to block a move. Shouldn't their GM have waived his magic wand? Seriously, get over it. It's the penalty you can pay for the financial benifit you got.

A good GM makes good things happen out of a bad situation. Martin St. Louis gave Yzerman a one team list and he still was able to garner a haul for MSL from NYR.

Simply put, that deadline debacle was a showcase of Benning's utter incompetence. No amount of excuses from Benning-apologists will change that.

18 hours ago, Baggins said:

After acquiring Gudbranson there was no point in re-signing Hamhuis. The objective is to get younger. Both Guddy and Larsen are definitely younger. I'd take either over Hammer at this point.

You think Hammer was the most sought after d-man? Why did Dallas offer more to Calgary for Russell than they did for Hammer? Because Hammer was their second choice. Dallas even tried to re-sign Russell but (or his agent) he overpriced himself so badly (5 yrs @ 5m) he was still available in September. Which again made Hammer their second choice signing him as a UFA instead of Russell. So you're right, we'll just have to agree to disagree. NTC's get you players at a decent price, but they can also bite you in the butt. I'd wager Vrbata wouldn't have signed here without the NTC so it's pointless saying it's Bennings own fault. That's just sour grapes.

Why gave up prime assets for a bottom-pair D-man instead of retaining our own for free? Who cares about younger when you get worse, especially if you're trying to "compete"?

Hamhuis was not only the most sought after D-man at the deadline, he was the most sought after player at the deadline, and we got absolutely zero for him. Not a chance Dallas wanted Russell over Hamhuis, that's why the deal was offered to Vancouver first and then Dallas circled back again after the Russell trade was made.

38 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

If he did a good job of restocking we'd already be considered a good, young, up & coming team by now. Literally nobody thinks this is the case except Canucks homers.

I never once said bottom-out and don't support draft picks with quality veterans. Just because Edmonton botched their rebuild doesn't mean the same would happen to us.

Toronto didn't have much of a prospect pool at all before Shanahan got there. Rielly, Gardiner and Kadri are good young roster players but only one of these guys was young enough to be considered a prospect at the time.

I prefer the "scorch the earth" rebuild but understand the significant importance of surrounding prospects with quality veterans. The Sedins are perfect players for this role.

A good GM makes good things happen out of a bad situation. Martin St. Louis gave Yzerman a one team list and he still was able to garner a haul for MSL from NYR.

Simply put, that deadline debacle was a showcase of Benning's utter incompetence. No amount of excuses from Benning-apologists will change that.

Why gave up prime assets for a bottom-pair D-man instead of retaining our own for free? Who cares about younger when you get worse, especially if you're trying to "compete"?

Hamhuis was not only the most sought after D-man at the deadline, he was the most sought after player at the deadline, and we got absolutely zero for him. Not a chance Dallas wanted Russell over Hamhuis, that's why the deal was offered to Vancouver first and then Dallas circled back again after the Russell trade was made.

Didn't our owner screw up the Hamhuis deal somehow?  Maybe this one is not JB's fault?

5 hours ago, cripplereh said:

did you watch them both?? Linden put Norton threw the glass and in game 7 2 goals, so to me I watched both of them full career and Linden by far was way better

I've been a fan since '74.

Trevor scored both goals in game 7 of the '94 finals with cracked ribs (suck it Messier!). He was a fine player for sure. Bertuzzi however was dominant at his peak with his size, speed, power moves and hands (it sucks that he effectively ended 2 players careers in the same game).

We agree to disagree - GCG!

2 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

I've been a fan since '74.

Trevor scored both goals in game 7 of the '94 finals with cracked ribs (suck it Messier!). He was a fine player for sure. Bertuzzi however was dominant at his peak with his size, speed, power moves and hands (it sucks that he effectively ended 2 players careers in the same game).

We agree to disagree - GCG!

Linden was all heart, like Steamer, but he couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag. For all of maybe 3 years, Bert was up there with Neely and Lindros. Linden played the game as hard as anyone, but played it clean, for a big guy who laid out some memorable hits. Bert can't hold a candle to the heart and passion Linden displayed in a losing game, down by 6, blocking shots with his face. Off-side Bertuzzi was a liability when things weren't going well, something Linden will never be associated with. Always was team first. Kinda like this Horvat kid. 

6 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Devastating news for the team if Jake is playing less of a role in Utica. 

Yeah it's not looking good. 3 liner with no power play time, does not get used in any important/keys times in the game. 

On Friday, February 03, 2017 at 0:53 AM, Baggins said:

With a team goal of making the playoffs how does moving your top goal scorer after a 30+ goal season make any sense. It's been brought up before Vrbata should have been moved after his 30 goal season but it flies 100% against the team goal to make the playoffs. On top of that what does it say to any future UFA's that could have interest in signing here? Do well can we'll cash in by immediately moving you. That's EA management, not real life.

I don't think more time would have made any difference. Hammer picked where he would go and wouldn't accept anything else. Benning said he was getting inquiries 3 weeks before the deadline but no actual offers. GM's were kicking the tires. Would an extra week have made any difference to that? Washington, the top team in the league, made an offer on that weekend but he refused to go there. Do yiou actually believe Hammer would have gone to Washington had he been approached a week earlier?  I don't. Both players tied Bennings hands.

Hammer WAS the most sought after Dman. That's why Dallas came to us first with the offer. It was because Benning/Aqua wanted more than they circled back to Calgary for Russell. He was plan B.

As for the timing, Hamhuis was wiling to waive for Dallas and Chicago. The reason Chicago didn't work out was because they got tired of waiting for Vancouver to get its act together and made a move for Ladd. Having that discussion with Hammer and getting the work done on a trade even a week earlier would have preempted that. Also as a GM you should be able to create demand by signalling hammer was available earlier, but we didn't move fast enough. There wasn't any word of hammer willing to waive until the last week. Those discussions needed to happen as soon as we were 6-8 pts out of a playoff spot.

I would have preferred to keep Vrbata had we continued playing him with the twins where he achieved his 30 goals, but the coach had some other bright ideas unfortunately. That both crippled his value and the team scoring.  On the winning and trade value front the team mismanaged it badly with him 

Gudbranson has also proved to be a disappointment. Considering we traded what could have been 3 prospects for him. 

This team needs to get over Boston. That is the mentality of getting Guds. Speed and skill is where this game is heading, not scrums and toughness. The sooner we get back to that the sooner we can see exciting hockey and success again. 

35 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Hammer WAS the most sought after Dman. That's why Dallas came to us first with the offer. It was because Benning/Aqua wanted more than they circled back to Calgary for Russell. He was plan B.

As for the timing, Hamhuis was wiling to waive for Dallas and Chicago. The reason Chicago didn't work out was because they got tired of waiting for Vancouver to get its act together and made a move for Ladd. Having that discussion with Hammer and getting the work done on a trade even a week earlier would have preempted that. Also as a GM you should be able to create demand by signalling hammer was available earlier, but we didn't move fast enough. There wasn't any word of hammer willing to waive until the last week. Those discussions needed to happen as soon as we were 6-8 pts out of a playoff spot.

I would have preferred to keep Vrbata had we continued playing him with the twins where he achieved his 30 goals, but the coach had some other bright ideas unfortunately. That both crippled his value and the team scoring.  On the winning and trade value front the team mismanaged it badly with him 

Gudbranson has also proved to be a disappointment. Considering we traded what could have been 3 prospects for him. 

This team needs to get over Boston. That is the mentality of getting Guds. Speed and skill is where this game is heading, not scrums and toughness. The sooner we get back to that the sooner we can see exciting hockey and success again. 

Wah wah wah!! How do you know what happened? Were you there in the active discussion? So much crying. Seriously man, people need to get over the Hammer non trade. 

As far as Gudbranson, if he turns out to be that tough minute munching pain in the ass to play against, im sure youll be the first to be praising Benning as a god. Gudbranson is what 24? The development is not done and i for one think in the years to come, we will be way better with him in the line up, than out of it. Will he be a top 2, probably not. But he can be that top 4 dman playing 18-20 min a night. McCann and a couple of maybe's for that, id say we win that everytime.

Its not all doom and gloom, this is going to take a couple years. Benning i think has done a fantastic job at repleneshing what was a franchise looking destined as a laughing stock, to a franchise where you have prospects to really look forward to. Boeser,Juolevi,Tryamkin,Demko,

Gaudette, Lockwood, Virtanen? (would have preferred Ehlers, but i think he will still have a decent career), Brisebois.

Another 2 successful drafts and the cupboards will be impressive. He does make gaffs like every GM, but theyre not huge franchise altering mistakes. He nailed the Kesler trade, when he has one team to trade with. 

On 2/3/2017 at 6:53 PM, EV604 said:

Another lack luster performance by Virtanen tonight. In close 4-2 game he did not see any icetime after the 8 min mark of the 3rd period.  Yikes! 

Looks like Virt's career will take a nosedive like Cody Hodgson's.

Archived