The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6 dead after shooting at Quebec City mosque, police say

nuckin_futz

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

Ok so let me get this straight. We need to tip toe around Muslim extremists so they don't shoot people in retaliation?! This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life. These people are waging war against the western world. To honestly believe that these POS's aren't intentionally infiltrating Canada and the USA to do harm is complete cluelessness. Do I believe in a outright Muslim ban? Absolutely not. Some of the most polite and generous people I have ever had the pleasure of interacting with are from a few of the very countries banned from the USA. When I worked in Yemen I use to bring the boys boxes of Halloween candy and it would bring them to tears. The poor bastards are living in hell and my heart aches for them. With that being said. The people who come from these countries need to go through extreme Vetting. The vast majority are exceptional human beings and it sucks that they get lumped in with these snakes. But Come on guys, give your heads a shake and take your politically correct BS and throw it in the garbage for a second. Snap out of it. Stop calling everyone bigots. What do you suggest we do?! Cause obviously tip toeing around these creeps isn't an option and banning them probably won't help either. 

I actually don't know many people that are against proper vetting of refugees. I think its a critical step in striking a balance between accepting refugees and protecting our country. I have zero tolerance, however, for what Trump has gone and done. It doesn't even make logical sense to ban green card careers including active military members from entering their own country. Its utterly ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, Fateless said:

I actually don't know many people that are against proper vetting of refugees. I think its a critical step in striking a balance between accepting refugees and protecting our country. I have zero tolerance, however, for what Trump has gone and done. It doesn't even make logical sense to ban green card careers including active military members from entering their own country. Its utterly ridiculous. 

I don't agree with the ban either but what people are forgetting or not realizing is that Trump wasn't at the airport security checking passports. This was a day after the executive orders were signed. This entire episode is most like confusion blowing up into mass hysteria. The media is just adding gasoline to the fire. 

Latest news on this story. Details are quite slow to come out about this. Some of these details even seem a tad dodgy so take with a grain of salt. ....

Six people have been killed and eight injured at a mosque in Québec City, police have said, in a shooting Canada’s prime minister denounced as a “terrorist attack”.

The shooting was carried out by three people at the Québec City Islamic cultural center, witnesses said, and happened during evening prayers on Sunday. Police received the first calls just before 8pm.

Two arrests have been made, a police spokesman said. Local newspaper Le Soleil said police accepted a third suspect could still be on the run, though spokeswoman Chistine Coulombe later said: “Nothing right now makes us believe that there would be other suspects related to this event.”

One of the suspects was carrying an AK-47 assault rifle and one was aged 27, Le Soleil reported.

(more in the link)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/30/quebec-mosque-shooting-canada-deaths

55 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Saddened. 

Bet it wasn't a "fundamental Atheist" attack/hate crime. 

The sooner humans rid themselves of this rival God mental illness, the better. 

I'd be curious what Hitchens would have to say on the subject. 

Many neonazi, far right, and far left groups are atheist. They reject organized religion due to its ties with the establishment. These victims were targeted due to their religious beliefs. Get off your high horse.

31 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Green card carrier issues are not directly a result of the travel ban. Customs agents are using their discretion as is their normal role, IIRC.

2 hours ago, hsedin33 said:

More right wing terrorism, this time in Canada. This is why I fight so hard against bigotry and call it out when I see it. It has real world consequences. RIP :(:(

How do you know they were "right wing"?  The Parti Quebecois are left wing and yet they are anti-immigrant.   The PQ tried to pass a Charter of Quebec values and tried to ban the hijab.

9 hours ago, Dral said:

'Merica... wait... what?

9 hours ago, Dral said:

Wouldn't have happened if the Muslims were armed....

Any other place or any other religion and these comments would be replied to, or plus'd or neg'd or something....

VERY interesting that no one wants to laugh about this now... is it because it happened in Canada?

According to Le Soleil, the suspects are Alexandre Bisonnette and Mohammed Khadir. Khadir was arrested around the mosque while Bisonnette called the police after running away because he was feeling guilty and wanted to kill himself. He was arrested near the Ile d'Orléans bridge.

Police doesn't want to confirm. Don't know why they are taking so long.

1 hour ago, Dral said:

Any other place or any other religion and these comments would be replied to, or plus'd or neg'd or something....

VERY interesting that no one wants to laugh about this now... is it because it happened in Canada?

What kind of a freaking idiot thinks this is a laughing matter?   

You didn't get any + or - or comments because they are incredibly insensitive and ignorant comments. 

Idiot

7 hours ago, Lancaster said:

It's called getting ahead of all the rapid speculations and unsubstantiated rumours. 

Much better than just random tweets or "facts" floating out and about, with suddenly it's refugees, or how it's now racist folks spurring religious/cultural conflicts, or now it's blue on blue conflict within the Muslim community. 

They don't have to give exact details, but maybe a few stuff to put out a few fires.  If the attackers are a bunch of East Asians, then state it.  Much better than the finger pointing and soap-box grandstanding that's going on. 

I totally disagree and think it's farked up that you think just throwing out their skin colour will somehow lessen speculation and rumors. So quick to judge, to want to blame...

43 minutes ago, thepouet said:

According to Le Soleil, the suspects are Alexandre Bisonnette and Mohammed Khadir. Khadir was arrested around the mosque while Bisonnette called the police after running away because he was feeling guilty and wanted to kill himself. He was arrested near the Ile d'Orléans bridge.

Police doesn't want to confirm. Don't know why they are taking so long.

They probably just want to be absolutely sure before giving out the specifics. Was the same in Germany last year. Lots of speculation floating about and they don't want to give an update every 10 minutes to feed those rumours.

11 hours ago, Violator said:

Any confirmed reports that it was a hate crime

Someone may have already answered to this

But any time you walk in to a place of worship, a school, a mall, a nightclub, a training center....anywhere at all and start mowing people down indiscriminately it's a crime of hate.

Much like it doesn't matter the colour of your skin, the orientation of your faith or your motives.  If you start shooting people dead it is an act of terror.  How can one not be terrorized when confronted with that horrific situation.

7 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Ok so let me get this straight. We need to tip toe around Muslim extremists so they don't shoot people in retaliation?! This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life. These people are waging war against the western world. To honestly believe that these POS's aren't intentionally infiltrating Canada and the USA to do harm is complete cluelessness. Do I believe in a outright Muslim ban? Absolutely not. Some of the most polite and generous people I have ever had the pleasure of interacting with are from a few of the very countries banned from the USA. When I worked in Yemen I use to bring the boys boxes of Halloween candy and it would bring them to tears. The poor bastards are living in hell and my heart aches for them. With that being said. The people who come from these countries need to go through extreme Vetting. The vast majority are exceptional human beings and it sucks that they get lumped in with these snakes. But Come on guys, give your heads a shake and take your politically correct BS and throw it in the garbage for a second. Snap out of it. Stop calling everyone bigots. What do you suggest we do?! Cause obviously tip toeing around these creeps isn't an option and banning them probably won't help either. 

They also have a tendency to go off the deep end and join extremist groups because society isn't overly accepting of them or they have a tough time fitting in. Exhibit A: Europe. But that's because we're racist, nothing to do with the fact a lot of these people and their beliefs and culture simply cannot or will not assimilate. 

7 hours ago, LaBamba said:

There are poor and suffering people all over the world, not just the Middle East.

Our PM is more interested in scoring virtue points with his immigration stance than actually improving these peoples' conditions.

Western nations should be condemning nations that employ barbaric practices like Sharia law enforcement by refusing to trade with any of them. If they refuse to allow their citizens basic human rights, then we have a moral obligation to detach them from modern society until they change their policy.

By trading with them and allowing them to be allies (USA's ally is Saudi Arabia) by extension we are legitimizing and accepting their assault on the rights of their people.

Unacceptable.  Time to hold the rest of the world to a higher standard. Would anyone honestly consider Saudi Arabia and China to be 'peace loving' nations worthy of UN membership? Pathetic. 

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

But any time you walk in to a place of worship, a school, a mall, a nightclub, a training center....anywhere at all and start mowing people down indiscriminately it's a crime of hate.

Much like it doesn't matter the colour of your skin, the orientation of your faith or your motives.  If you start shooting people dead it is an act of terror.  How can one not be terrorized when confronted with that horrific situation.

Motive matters. Remember Charlie Hebdo?  That was a clear response to the exercising of freedom of speech. Now people will think twice before drawing a Mohammed cartoon, and by extension, the West must capitulate to this fact, lest they pay the price. 

Most of the newspapers didn't print the cartoons either. Cowards.

13 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

Motive matters. Remember Charlie Hebdo?  That was a clear response to the exercising of freedom of speech. Now people will think twice before drawing a Mohammed cartoon, and by extension, the West must capitulate to this fact, lest they pay the price. 

Most of the newspapers didn't print the cartoons either. Cowards.

Oh.  Motive matters?  So, these guys were not terrorists based on?

Roof

Image result for church shooter

Breivik

Image result for brevik

Lanza

Image result for sandy hook shooter

Holmes

Image result

So there motives were what?  Not that of a terrorist?  Between the 4 they killed or wounded more than 450 people.  They are all westerners (Breivik European) and pay attention because this is important.  Because of them some didn't attend mass, some didn't allow their kids to go to camps, some were afraid to let their children go to school and many wouldn't go to a theater

They are all acts of terrorism.  Period

48 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I call a hate crime one race versus another.not ideology vs ideology

Archived