The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning didn't do such a bad job (Discussion)

Well, I have read a lot of negative things said about Juolevi, and how he doesn't stack up well against, other first round picks, so I did a little digging.......Below are the stats as of 9 pm, January 29, 2017. Other than Chychrun, who had a NHL size frame, and was at one time ranked as high as 1 or 2 OA, at one time, I thinks Juolevi stacks up pretty good against the rest of them. The trouble was, mostly that some expected an Offensive defensemen, where Juolevi is more of an #1/2 all around Defensemen. Keep in mind that Juolevi does not have a mature frame as of yet, and that makes him look even better to me.

IMO, he will be ready in 2 years, or at least that is when he will start to show his ceiling......after that, he should just get better and better......You just can't compare Offensive forwards to Defensemen...just can't! Generally speaking, they are way different beasts.

Just as a matter of point.... many said that Sergachev was a better pick! Again, I will point out that Sergachev is a much larger player, playing on a better team........again, Juolevi answers the bell!

2015 – 2016   NHL  1st  Round  Defensemen

League             GP            G              A            Pts             +/-         Penalties

#5.  Olli Juolevi                          OHL                  36             8              24            32            +20           20 min

#9. Mikhail Sergachev               OHL                  29             5              19            24            +13           49 min

#13. Jake Bean                          WHL                 19             6              21            27               -3            8 min

#14. Charles McAvoy                NCAA                25             3              12            15               +4          41 min

#16. Jakob Chychrun                  NHL                 39             3                8            11                -6          39 min

#17. Dante Fabbro                    NCAA                23             3                6              9               +6            8 min

#18. Logan Stanley                     OHL                35             4               13            17               +2          62 min

#20. Dennis Cholowski              NCHC               26             1                 9            10                -8            8 min

#28. Lucas Johansen                 WHL                46             3               24             27               +6          27 min

You can have your opinions on who we should have taken, but if we are looking at just Dmen.........I don't think Benning was too far off!

Again, this is just as much about Benning's pick is it is about Juolevi himself....which is why I put it in this section......

I had no issues picking a defencemen as the season currently goes Katchuk might of been the better pick though for Canucks lack of offence atm aside from that we have an over abundance of dmen atm but I like Juolevi I look forward to him making it to the Canucks lineup one day if the Canucks can shop the 1 or 2 dmen we don't need now we could get that offensive talent they so desperately need. Might actually make them a contender again too. The only other concern as well is expansion draft coming up this year. I think Sbisa is the odd man out on this one even though he is having a great year.

Gudbranson / Tanev / Edler would be my guesses as to who gets traded. Although Tanev would be the least likely of the three

He was the most "aware" defenseman in the draft. I went through all the "tape" I could find on Juolevi, Segachev, Chychrun and Bean after the draft.

Granted, I'm not a pro scout, but what really stuck out about OJ over the rest of those Dmen is his awareness on both sides of the ice. 

There's an incredible smoothness to his game. 

Edit - and Jim likes smooth. Because this thread is about JB.

oj is never gonna get the love/respect he deserves unless you watch him every game. The guys who excel at all aspects of the game but don't have the flash or the big body never get their due. Oj is gonna be a beast for us, I think he's gonna be as good as ekman Larson. Just rock solid stud good at everything 

19 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tkc has 31 points and would be 3rd in team scoring IF that was added to our games we would be in a playoff spot.

I'll take Juolevi's consistent future 40-50 point seasons over and over again and 20-25 minutes a night over a powerforward any day. Top-2 puck moving defenceman > top-6 physical winger.

Besides, we drafted Virtanen already. We've got Boeser in the wings. Juolevi is the right pick.

In terms of defencemen, Chychrun should have gone much higher, I would have been happy if we even picked him but there was no wrong pick there. Those defencemen in the 1st round will end up franchise D-men.

I didn't love the Juolevi pick when it happened but I also didn't hate it. I was indifferent to it. But flashing forward, I actually really like the pick. Granted, the local media is still going "well, look, you could have had Tkachuk and you didn't it" -- but that's the same media where, had Benning not picked Juolevi, likely would have slammed him for not picking Juolevi by saying things like "we need a top 2 D -- where's that going to come from?!?" -- See the two way street with that?!? Chances are, the media would have called the Tkachuk pick redundant because we already have Virtanen in our system.

Now granted, Virtanen isn't doing what Tkachuk is doing a few years after his draft but he's still only 20. Give him time. Bertuzzi didn't emerge until he was 25. I'll start getting worried for Virtanen if he starts becoming Grenier 2.0 when he's 24. Until then, let the kid develop. It's not like we are contenders yet.

I will say this, Benning's strength lies in his picks past the 2nd round, in my opinion. He's unearthing gems that could literally be gamechangers for the Canucks as they build there way to a new contender. Tryamkin is proving it, Forsling is showing flashes (albeit in Chicago *cry*), and heck -- Gaudette is tearing up the NCAA (and looks like he could be a dark horse to be a Canuck next season), Lockwood is making big leaps, McKenzie is having a great season in the OHL, Carl Neill is impressing, Zhuchekov is showing flashes, and hell Tate Olson is showing to be a steady presence on a Memorial Cup contending Cougars -- and he was the 2nd last pick of the 2015 draft.

What all this amounts to is that it's clear Benning has a plan... it's just that his plan takes patience. And for me, I'm excited to see what happens next because if what I'm seeing from Hutton, Tryamkin, Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, and Gudbranson hold try going forward -- Canucks could have a scary team in by 2020. All we need is Virtanen to mature, Boeser and Gaudette to show up, and for Benning to select another "Boeser" this coming draft and we'll have a good team. Patience.

37 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'll take Juolevi's consistent future 40-50 point seasons over and over again and 20-25 minutes a night over a powerforward any day. Top-2 puck moving defenceman > top-6 physical winger.

Besides, we drafted Virtanen already. We've got Boeser in the wings. Juolevi is the right pick.

In terms of defencemen, Chychrun should have gone much higher, I would have been happy if we even picked him but there was no wrong pick there. Those defencemen in the 1st round will end up franchise D-men.

That's 3 seasons away from right now.

Some food for thought.

On a STACKED London Knights team last season (Matt Tkachuk, Mitch Marner and Christian Dvorak --you may or may not have heard of them before-- were the guys he was feeding up front, and they ranked 2nd, 3rd and 5th in league scoring.  They destroyed the league, going 51-14-0-3 and winning both the O.H.L. championship and Memorial Cup), Olli scored 42 points in 57 regular season games (0.74 points/ game) and put up 14 more in 18 playoff games.

This season, with the entire first line from the previous season graduated, Olli already has 33 points in 37 games (0.89 points/ game) when the scoring up front isn't as prolific (they still do have Cliff Pu at 4th overall, but his next team-mate ranks 14th, then 23rd and 27th).  He might not be the highest scoring D-man on the team (that honor belongs to Mitch Vande Sompel who they acquired) but the fact that the production continues even when the group up front might not be as strong should already attest how his talent level and progression as an athlete.

I liked the Juolevi pick wasn't expecting it either though but Vancouver has a huge dmen prospect pool to work with which is great for Vancouver now though which is something they had been lacking for years. The next step in the process now is to look at your forwards and add to that through drafting preferably or by trading. Edler has been great I think its time to cut him loose though. Juolevi will probably make the team in 1-2 years hopefully and if not they still have the dmen to replace Edler.

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don't think you can expect him to be a consistent 40-50 point D man, not without a highly offensive team in front of him. He's probably closer to a high 30's point producing type D, but even still, the all around game he's going to provide is going to be exactly what this team needs.

11 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Which Virtanen was supposed to be.

We need to keep in mind that his issues really started coming to fruition after the draft.

To a certain extent, his issues are the Canuck's fault. He had no business being a pro last year and it screwed him up.

Kid spent the summer believing he had it made and let his fitness slide to fatness, his play was always a step behind to start the season, both of which are on him, sure,  but the Canucks really should have sent him down last season when it was obvious WD wouldn't let Jake play until he was better defensively. WD is clearly not the coach to guide a teenager, especially one who needs to be taught the pro game.

The only reason Bo made it is because he excelled in spite of WD's irrational and unforgiving bench management. He is a very rare case of a young kid who not only possesses intredible talent, but is very smart, has an unreal work ethic and gifted with positional awareness. Jake just has raw talent and needed / needs to be molded (coached) into a better player, which can't happen when you play 3-7 mins a game and get stapled to the bench for not being pro level aware, like Willy does. 

22 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tkc has 31 points and would be 3rd in team scoring IF that was added to our games we would be in a playoff spot.

... but I wonder what kind of TOI he would have been able to get find his groove here..  Tchuk definitely makes you bite your bottom lip though.

Joulevi - Mceneney - Brisboise will prove to be the additions on D that give our new Dcore  great longetivity when added to the likes, or what remains,  of Tryamkin - Gudbranson - Stetcher - Sbisa - Hutton - Tanev - Edler - Biegga. 

...other great moves of JB's.  Tryamkin, Gudbranson, Stetcher.

Archived