The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning didn't do such a bad job (Discussion)

6 hours ago, luckylager said:

To a certain extent, his issues are the Canuck's fault. He had no business being a pro last year and it screwed him up.

Kid spent the summer believing he had it made and let his fitness slide to fatness, his play was always a step behind to start the season, both of which are on him, sure,  but the Canucks really should have sent him down last season when it was obvious WD wouldn't let Jake play until he was better defensively. WD is clearly not the coach to guide a teenager, especially one who needs to be taught the pro game.

The only reason Bo made it is because he excelled in spite of WD's irrational and unforgiving bench management. He is a very rare case of a young kid who not only possesses intredible talent, but is very smart, has an unreal work ethic and gifted with positional awareness. Jake just has raw talent and needed / needs to be molded (coached) into a better player, which can't happen when you play 3-7 mins a game and get stapled to the bench for not being pro level aware, like Willy does. 

Jake's problem was a consistent effort. It's his own attitude holding him back. It wasn't just defensive effort it was his overall effort. You won't get ice time without effort. Bo's work ethic got him more ice time and opportunity. Jake's work ethic got him less ice time and the AHL. You get what you earn.

On 30/01/2017 at 9:06 AM, SILLY GOOSE said:

Before the draft it was a major and constant criticism that the Canuck's lacked a solid D prospect pool........

Throughout these discussions about who should the Canucks have taken, this always springs to mind. 

Every year it's been the same... you can acquire forwards through trades, but bonafide top 2 d-men is really hard to acquire, thus need to be drafted. 

Now we 'hopefully' have a top D in the system, so forget about the power forward we didn't pick. 

Judging picks after the fact isn’t too useful.....but it is fun.  If canucks were to go back and re draft that previous 4 years in the 1st and 2nd rounds would they have done things the same.   Say Canucks were not allowed to take the same players they took, using hindsight who would you have taken?

9th overall (Horvat)

23rd overall (Shinkaruk)

54th overall (Roy)

6th overall (Virtanen)

24th overall (McCann > Gudbranson)

36th  overall (Demko)

50th overall (Vey)

23rd overall (Boeser)

53rd overall (Baertschi)

5th overall (Juolevi)

33rd overall (Gudbranson)

vs

9th overall (Wennberg)

23rd overall (Theodore)

54th overall (Pesce)

6th overall (Nylander)

24th overall (Pastrnak)

36th  overall (Montour)

50th overall (Ardvisson)

23rd overall (Carlo)

53rd overall (Bracco)

5th overall (Tkachuk)

33rd overall (Asplund)

All in all, without hindsight I think out GM's have done a pretty good job. 

I like the Dan Hamhuis comparison. Solid #2 with a bit of offense, very smart, good defensively.

Dan managed 38 points in his softmore NHL season, but was burried behind Ryan Suter and Weber for prime offensive minutes on a stacked Nashville blue line. Went back up to the high 30s his first year with us.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Judging picks after the fact isn’t too useful.....but it is fun.  If canucks were to go back and re draft that previous 4 years in the 1st and 2nd rounds would they have done things the same.   Say Canucks were not allowed to take the same players they took, using hindsight who would you have taken?

9th overall (Horvat)

23rd overall (Shinkaruk)

54th overall (Roy)

6th overall (Virtanen)

24th overall (McCann > Gudbranson)

36th  overall (Demko)

50th overall (Vey)

23rd overall (Boeser)

53rd overall (Baertschi)

5th overall (Juolevi)

33rd overall (Gudbranson)

vs

9th overall (Wennberg)

23rd overall (Theodore)

54th overall (Pesce)

6th overall (Nylander)

24th overall (Pastrnak)

36th  overall (Montour)

50th overall (Ardvisson)

23rd overall (Carlo)

53rd overall (Bracco)

5th overall (Tkachuk)

33rd overall (Asplund)

All in all, without hindsight I think out GM's have done a pretty good job. 

God!  Could you imagine our forwards with Bo, Nylander, Pastrnak, and Tkatchuk?  Wouldn't we be considered to have a very good young core group, that could become a lot of fun to watch?  Then again, there is the Willie factor, so maybe these kids don't get a fair chance too?  Bo on the fourth line, and all that.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

God!  Could you imagine our forwards with Bo, Nylander, Pastrnak, and Tkatchuk?  Wouldn't we be considered to have a very good young core group, that could become a lot of fun to watch?  Then again, there is the Willie factor, so maybe these kids don't get a fair chance too?  Bo on the fourth line, and all that.

When was Bo on the 4th line? 

On January 29, 2017 at 9:52 PM, luckylager said:

and Jim likes smooth. Because this thread is about JB.

Smooth is good. I remember when Tanev came up Bieksa said Tanev was so smooth out there it was like he was skating around with a smoke hanging from his mouth :lol:

Top D guys that remain calm are gold. We can find a winger elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

When was Bo on the 4th line? 

Willie came out publicly at the start of this season and announced Bo was centering our fourth line.  Willie believed Bo was a fourth line checking grinder type.  Granlund was moved up the lineup, because Willie believed Granlund was more skilled than Bo.

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Smooth is good. I remember when Tanev came up Bieksa said Tanev was so smooth out there it was like he was skating around with a smoke hanging from his mouth :lol:

Top D guys that remain calm are gold. We can find a winger elsewhere

I agree. The fans complaining about the OJ pick over Tkachuk would probably rather eat at McDonald's than wait for a world class risotto with tuna tartar from a "Michelin Star" rated restaurant, even if they were the same price.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Willie came out publicly at the start of this season and announced Bo was centering our fourth line.  Willie believed Bo was a fourth line checking grinder type.  Granlund was moved up the lineup, because Willie believed Granlund was more skilled than Bo.

Do you remember how many minutes BO played in that one single game he played on the so called "4th line" at the start of the season. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Do you remember how many minutes BO played in that one single game he played on the so called "4th line" at the start of the season. 

What's that got to do with anything?  Did Willie pigeon hole Bo as a fourth line centre?  

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

No he didn't if you seriously think that he did you couldn't be more wrong.

Willie even publicly stated Bo was a checker.  Then Willie put Bo on the fourth line with two grunts.  Willie had Granlund playing further up the lineup than Bo.  Willie stated publicly Granlund was more skillful.  I'm not wrong.  Willie was wrong.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Willie even publicly stated Bo was a checker.  Then Willie put Bo on the fourth line with two grunts.  Willie had Granlund playing further up the lineup than Bo.  Willie stated publicly Granlund was more skillful.  I'm not wrong.  Willie was wrong.

for one game the very first of the season in which if I remember correctly he played 3rd most minutes of any fwd on the canucks sooooooo no your flat out wrong.

Go ahead if you really believe that go find some taken out of context quotes and post them here to support you weak argument.

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

for one game the very first of the season in which if I remember correctly he played 3rd most minutes of any fwd on the canucks sooooooo no your flat out wrong.

I think JB hiring Willie was a mistake for a team needing to develop youth.  It's only through Bo's own greatness that he developed considering Willie.

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think JB hiring Willie was a mistake for a team needing to develop youth.  It's only through Bo's own greatness that he developed considering Willie.

Bo Horvat and Granlunds greatness Baertschi too Tryamkin, and Stecher are all overachieving inspite of WD the entire team too who no one expected to be any where near a playoff spot this time of year all inspite of WDwho is terrible just the worst development coach.:huh:

Hindsight is 20/20 but at the end of it all I think Benning is doing a good job so far. Ya it sucks that we have to watch Toronto and Calgary's young offensive talent right now but we have our own talent coming up very soon in Boeser, Virtanen, and Juolevi. Virtanen obviously doesn't have the offensive ceiling that Nylander has but he will be quite the player once he finds his groove. I imagine Virtanen being similar to Jannik Hansen but hits like a pickup truck and a far better shot... consistent 50 point guy who wrecks opposing defensemen while on the forecheck.

If Benning can trade one of our excess defensemen *cough*Tanev*cough* for a 1st line forward that's slightly younger then we'll be in a really good spot for our rebuild/retool/rebuild-on-the-fly

Archived