The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have too many Defensemen - What's the plan?

Frogger009

How do people here see the Canucks defense shaking out over the next few years? If this team is to become a contender again, we need a solid D core and right now we have the makings of one, but way too many defensemen. Who are the 6 or 7 we should continue with? in 2 or 3 years, what will this D core look like?

Right now we have the following (age in brackets) that have proven or on their way to proving that they belong in the NHL

Edler (30)

Tanev (27)

Gubranson (25)

Tryamkin (22)

Hutton (23)

Stecher (22)

Sbisa (27)

Juolevi (18)

We also have Subban, Pedan and Brisebois in the minors/junior that could pan out.

Personally, I think in a couple years our core could be pretty solid like this

Tanev Juolevi

Hutton Tryamkin

Gudbranson Stecher

Sbisa? or another to round it out.

If our forwards can develop and mature into a solid group with a bonafide first line (hoping Virtanen and Boeser pan out) and with Markstrom/Demko providing solid goal-tending, this team could theoretically be a contender again in a few years. Here's hoping. 

These past two seasons proved you can never have too many Defensemen.  We are lucky to have the depth where we are and with new recruits joining the gray in Utica like Brisebois, Neill and the emergence of Stetcher, Tryamkin, and some maturing in Pedan and Subban, The blueline finally has a wave of players to be excited about.  Too long have we not had enough young guys rippening in the minors and solely counting on UFA signings or trades.

Olli has yet to prove he is NHL worthy.  I may be alone in this thinking, but I think he is still a few years away and could use a season or two in the minors to filter out some of the kinks in his game.

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Olli has yet to prove he is NHL worthy.  I may be alone in this thinking, but I think he is still a few years away and could use a season or two in the minors to filter out some of the kinks in his game.

Its hard to say. He'll certainly get another shot at making the team next training camp. The mental side of things seems to be there already according to the press about him. If anything it might be waiting for him to fill out and get a bit more physical. 

The Canucks have Biega/Larsen in the lineup - but they have too many defensemen?  You pretty much have to count on a couple injuries.

Can't really have that problem to be honest.  The only 'problem' is expansion, and that could take one out of the mix, at which point they have pretty ideal depth imo.

The "plan" is to see if the market in a pre-expansion buyer's market makes it worthwhile to make a deal - requires finding the right partner with the opposite 'problem' - perhaps the Tampa Lightning - however making deals won't be easy imo - most teams, with few exceptions, will want the same thing (to convert protection-worthy assets into picks/prospects).  There may be a couple shallow teams that could conceivably have an 'extra' expansion protection spot, but they'll likely have their share of potential dance partners if that's the case.  Adding to the complication is parity - that virtually the entire league with the exception of a few teams are still realistically in a playoff / wildcard race.

The plan - wait and see - and be ready.  I'm pretty confident the Canucks are full prepared and have the latter in hand.

9 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

These past two seasons proved you can never have too many Defensemen.  We are lucky to have the depth where we are and with new recruits joining the gray in Utica like Brisebois, Neill and the emergence of Stetcher, Tryamkin, and some maturing in Pedan and Subban, The blueline finally has a wave of players to be excited about.  Too long have we not had enough young guys rippening in the minors and solely counting on UFA signings or trades.

Olli better pan out. I mean Virtanen is looking rough at the moment. 

I think our D could have actually been solid without Juolevi, so I am hoping he becomes a bonafide #1 D. 

Could you imagine our D (minus Juolevi) but add Nylander and Tkachuk to our forward mix?

1 minute ago, Frogger009 said:

I think our D could have actually been solid without Juolevi, so I am hoping he becomes a bonafide #1 D. 

Could you imagine our D (minus Juolevi) but add Nylander and Tkachuk to our forward mix?

I totally could!

And Kopitar!  Jagr!!!!

OMFG and Sakic too!

Could you imagine.  Member when we coulda drafted all them.  member??

Image result for member

Just now, Warhippy said:

I totally could!

And Kopitar!  Jagr!!!!

OMFG and Sakic too!

Could you imagine.  Member when we coulda drafted all them.  member??

Except Nylander was the consensus #6 pick in 2014 and Tkachuk was consensus #5 last year. A case could be made that we should have taken them both.

1 minute ago, Frogger009 said:

Full-on hindsight there tho. Stecher may not have been able to make the jump to the NHL (no one knew that was in the cards) and Tryamkin may have had 1 too many perogies and be back in the KHL. 

Benning hasn't given up anything on the future yet as well by picking OJ. We don't know whats going to happen via trade yet, we could conceivably trade any one of Tanev, Hutton or Gudbranson in the next little bit and get a young top 6 LW out of the deal and still have a great D core moving forward. OIli certainly projects to be a top pairing guy so imo Benning played a safer smarter move with that pick. 

6 minutes ago, Frogger009 said:

Olli better pan out.

Yeah! Or else Olli! Better watch yer ass, Juolevi!

I mean Virtanen is looking rough at the moment. 

According to Green?

And if he does blossom into a "number one" defenseman, all the better.

tumblr_n74stluKos1rzik3go1_500.gif

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Full-on hindsight there tho. Stecher may not have been able to make the jump to the NHL (no one knew that was in the cards) and Tryamkin may have had 1 too many perogies and be back in the KHL. 

Benning hasn't given up anything on the future yet as well by picking OJ. We don't know whats going to happen via trade yet, we could conceivably trade any one of Tanev, Hutton or Gudbranson in the next little bit and get a young top 6 LW out of the deal and still have a great D core moving forward. OIli certainly projects to be a top pairing guy so imo Benning played a safer smarter move with that pick. 

Highly doubt Gudbranson gets traded. Like almost 100% positive. Almost......more like 58% percent, but pretty positive.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah! Or else Olli! Better watch yer ass, Juolevi!

I can see the maturity is out in full force. I clearly meant he better pan out in regards to Benning's drafting record. Benning has had a #5 overall and a #6 overall in a 3 year span. If both of them fail to become impact NHL players than it is a pretty big **** up on his part. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Highly doubt Gudbranson gets traded. Like almost 100% positive. Almost......more like 58% percent, but pretty positive.

Outside shot. Why not? If the right Landseskog-ish deal came along why not? I see him as the least likely of the 3 but I don't know if you could brand him as untouchable for a trade. It all depends on the extension negotiations and if they are going well or not. 

Archived