The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have too many Defensemen - What's the plan?

Frogger009

1 minute ago, Frogger009 said:

I can see the maturity is out in full force. I clearly meant he better pan out in regards to Benning's drafting record. Benning has had a #5 overall and a #6 overall in a 3 year span. If both of them fail to become impact NHL players than it is a pretty big **** up on his part. 

It's on the player to want it badly enough. There is no doubt that scouts throughout the hockey world have seen something special in Juolevi, but the intangibles are out of Benning's control.

Virtanen, by all accounts, is getting things together quite well down in Utica, under Travis Green. He's still a very young guy, and with the right guidance and motivation, will put it altogether.

8 minutes ago, Frogger009 said:

I can see the maturity is out in full force. I clearly meant he better pan out in regards to Benning's drafting record. Benning has had a #5 overall and a #6 overall in a 3 year span. If both of them fail to become impact NHL players than it is a pretty big **** up on his part. 

FYI - Nylander was not the "consensus" pick at 6. Bob McKenzie had Virtanen over Nylander e.g. (http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/)

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Outside shot. Why not? If the right Landseskog-ish deal came along why not? I see him as the least likely of the 3 but I don't know if you could brand him as untouchable for a trade. It all depends on the extension negotiations and if they are going well or not. 

There's always a possibility. I think the primary difference is that Tanev and Hutton were Gillis acquisitions, to which Benning's reputation isn't attached.

11 minutes ago, Frogger009 said:

Except Nylander was the consensus #6 pick in 2014 and Tkachuk was consensus #5 last year. A case could be made that we should have taken them both.

Sure, except I only see Nylander ranked higher than 7th on 2 lists I've found, and we drafted for future need last year not right now need because right now need is a damned good way to screw up your organization for years.

I imagine we'll either trade Sbisa or he'll be expansion fodder. As for Juolevi, I imagine he'll go back to junior again unless he really blows management away. I wouldn't be surprised if they already lean towards sending him back because unlike Virtanen he's in a good place to develop. Given how D tend to stew a bit longer I imagine they'll play the long game with him and that he'll likely see time in Utica as well. Pedan is a wild card, but I'll be surprised if he grabs more than a 7th d slot next season.

The rest we probably retain unless a good trade opportunity comes along.

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Sure, except I only see Nylander ranked higher than 7th on 2 lists I've found, and we drafted for future need last year not right now need because right now need is a damned good way to screw up your organization for years.

I was just going on what I remember from the time. Virtanen was ranked high on most lists but as I recall had the most likely boom or bust potential.

Regardless, this post wasn't about past drafts, I simply said a "what if" because we have so many decent D-Men right now and could potentially have had 2 additional top 6 forwards if RECENT drafts had gone differently. For some reason people like to harp on it with hyperbole "We could have taken Jagr" posts that add nothing to a conversation about our current team.

21 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

There's always a possibility. I think the primary difference is that Tanev and Hutton were Gillis acquisitions, to which Benning's reputation isn't attached.

That would be unfortunate. Of the 3, Gudbranson is the one I am lowest on. Tanev is a solid shut down defenseman and Hutton has an exciting upside. Gudbranson is big and has "intangibles". 

10 hours ago, Frogger009 said:

That would be unfortunate. Of the 3, Gudbranson is the one I am lowest on. Tanev is a solid shut down defenseman and Hutton has an exciting upside. Gudbranson is big and has "intangibles". 

I get that many have fully passed judgment on Gudbranson because of his +/- and the analytics being against him. The other salient points (new team/coach/conference/division, injury, paired with a second year rookie six months his junior) seem to escape being considered.

It gets simplified down to the fact that Gudbranson is big, and that Benning is sitting at head office with an abacus.

If the Canucks want to get back to the playoffs, you know the time of year where the refs put their whistles away, a player like Gudbranson, when fully healthy and acclimated, is a boon to this team. Benning has done a remarkable job acquiring some more offensively talented defensemen. However, many of those d-men wouldn't really be able to ensure that Miller/Markstrom/Demko aren't harassed in their paint.

Tryamkin is a great, young developing defenseman who has already proven to have developed a taste for establishing dominance in his own end. Having Gudbranson ensures that the defense will be unforgiving on more than one pairing, and will prove to provide very tangible leadership from the backend, that will be worth it's weight in gold, when the team gets physically tested.

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I get that many have fully passed judgment on Gudbranson because of his +/- and the analytics being against him. The other salient points (new team/coach/conference/division, injury, paired with a second year rookie six months his junior) seem to escape being considered.

It gets simplified down to the fact that Gudbranson is big, and that Benning is sitting at head office with an abacus.

If the Canucks want to get back to the playoffs, you know the time of year where the refs put their whistles away, a player like Gudbranson, when fully healthy and acclimated to his new team, is a boon to this team. Benning has done a remarkable job acquiring some more offensively talented defensemen. However, many of those d-men wouldn't really be able to ensure that Miller/Markstrom/Demko aren't harassed in their paint.

Tryamkin is a great, young developing defenseman who has already proven to have developed a taste for establishing dominance in his own end. Having Gudbranson ensures that the defense will be unforgiving on more than one pairing, and will prove to provide very tangible leadership from the backend, that will be worth it's weight in gold, when the team gets physically tested.

I started this year with hopes for him, but so far he hasn't lived up to them. It may just be the injuries and young pairing, one can only hope. 

The issue is Benning sometimes seems like he is sitting there with an abacus, stuck in the past, building a team to compete in 1997 instead of 2017. The league is fast and the playoffs are won by fast, skilled teams. Only Boston has managed to punch their way to a Stanley Cup in the last decade and that was mainly because the Canucks were half in the infirmary. No way Boston beats a healthy Canucks team in 2011, and I hope Benning realizes that and isn't trying to rebuild the 2011 Bruins here in Vancouver. 

Only guy who needs to be moved is sbisa either by trade or expansion draft.

Larsen gone via free agency and voila

edler-stetcher

tryamkin-tanev

hutton-gudbranson

pedan-biega

Only reason for juolevi to stick around next season is if he plays in the top 6 and with that deep of a blue line he'll be back to junior

Edler (30) - Been injured

Tanev (27) - Been injured

Gubranson (25) - Injured

Tryamkin (22) - Fatigued

Hutton (23) - Injured

Stecher (22) - Fatigued

Sbisa (27) - Been Injured

Can never have too many D.  With Biega up as the replacer I think we're fine for this year.  Add to that the expansion draft I don't think we'll see any trades involving the D listed.  The only player I see getting moved is Subban.

3 minutes ago, Frogger009 said:

I started this year with hopes for him, but so far he hasn't lived up to them. It may just be the injuries and young pairing, one can only hope. 

The issue is Benning sometimes seems like he is sitting there with an abacus, stuck in the past, building a team to compete in 1997 instead of 2017. The league is fast and the playoffs are won by fast, skilled teams.

Trends can change, but Benning's acquisition of Stecher speaks to him being aware of the speed factor but not putting all his eggs in that basket.

3 minutes ago, Frogger009 said:

Only Boston has managed to punch their way to a Stanley Cup in the last decade and that was mainly because the Canucks were half in the infirmary. No way Boston beats a healthy Canucks team in 2011, and I hope Benning realizes that and isn't trying to rebuild the 2011 Bruins here in Vancouver. 

The Kings applied a similar method that led to 2 Cups.

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Edler (30) - Been injured

Tanev (27) - Been injured

Gubranson (25) - Injured

Tryamkin (22) - Fatigued

Hutton (23) - Injured

Stecher (22) - Fatigued

Sbisa (27) - Been Injured

Can never have too many D.  With Biega up as the replacer I think we're fine for this year.  Add to that the expansion draft I don't think we'll see any trades involving the D listed.  The only player I see getting moved is Subban.

The curse on our Blueline has to end eventually right? The amount of injuries we sustain is insane. 

13 minutes ago, billabong said:

Only guy who needs to be moved is sbisa either by trade or expansion draft.

Larsen gone via free agency and voila

edler-stetcher

tryamkin-tanev

hutton-gudbranson

pedan-biega

Only reason for juolevi to stick around next season is if he plays in the top 6 and with that deep of a blue line he'll be back to junior

I'd prefer to see OJ or Subban  in Pedan's spot there tbh, much more upside and Pedan is redundant with Guddy and Tryamkin in the mix. 

Biega has 1 more game to be draft eligible, Larsen 22 so I don't think we're going to see much of Pedan this year. Biega is signed thu 2018 too so it seems to me Pedan is the odd guy out. 

Gudbranson..?......What are the Canucks management going to do with him..?...I don't even know how they can arrive at $ amount to sign him (we saw him in only 30 games,and he was injured..and honestly,did not play well).

It puts the Canucks in an awkward situation..IMO..Stecher and Try are here to stay...  so where does that leave Gudbranson? (because they paid a pretty steep price to acquire him).

Archived