The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have too many Defensemen - What's the plan?

Frogger009

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Sure, except I only see Nylander ranked higher than 7th on 2 lists I've found, and we drafted for future need last year not right now need because right now need is a damned good way to screw up your organization for years.

And Virtanen will be a big part of this future core in 2-3 years. Unfortunate most people can't see that. Also, I've said this before, we needed a player like Virtanen in the system at the time more than a Nylander or Ehlers. 

14 minutes ago, Pears said:

And Virtanen will be a big part of this future core in 2-3 years. Unfortunate most people can't see that. Also, I've said this before, we needed a player like Virtanen in the system at the time more than a Nylander or Ehlers. 

Agree to disagree on this one. unless Virtanen makes a significant jump next year in production, it looks like we just drafted the next Jack Skille.

I'm extremely confident he can become an NHL Player, but whether he can contribute to the team the same level as Ehlers or Nylander remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, Frogger009 said:

I can see the maturity is out in full force. I clearly meant he better pan out in regards to Benning's drafting record. Benning has had a #5 overall and a #6 overall in a 3 year span. If both of them fail to become impact NHL players than it is a pretty big **** up on his part. 

Benning's wheelhouse is hidden gems not diamonds on display. ;)

Honestly though the Virtanen pick wasn't far off the board. It was a  gamble. It's certainly not paying off right now but we don't need Virtanen right now. Our team has enough pieces in play to be competitive each and every night. There isn't any reason to rush any players in. The goal is being met. Get younger. Play meaningful games. Transition the new core in a winning environment. The expectation is consistency.

Juolevi is a smart pick as well he just needs time to grow into his body. Obviously he's a hard gainer lol. 

7 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Agree to disagree on this one. unless Virtanen makes a significant jump next year in production, it looks like we just drafted the next Jack Skille.

I'm extremely confident he can become an NHL Player, but whether he can contribute to the team the same level as Ehlers or Nylander remains to be seen.

You must be talking about a different Virtanen. The Virtanen we drafted wouldn't chew through rope to make the team. 

2 hours ago, Frogger009 said:

How do people here see the Canucks defense shaking out over the next few years? If this team is to become a contender again, we need a solid D core and right now we have the makings of one, but way too many defensemen. Who are the 6 or 7 we should continue with? in 2 or 3 years, what will this D core look like?

Right now we have the following (age in brackets) that have proven or on their way to proving that they belong in the NHL

Edler (30)

Tanev (27)

Gubranson (25)

Tryamkin (22)

Hutton (23)

Stecher (22)

Sbisa (27)

Juolevi (18)

We also have Subban, Pedan and Brisebois in the minors/junior that could pan out.

Personally, I think in a couple years our core could be pretty solid like this

Tanev Juolevi

Hutton Tryamkin

Gudbranson Stecher

Sbisa? or another to round it out.

If our forwards can develop and mature into a solid group with a bonafide first line (hoping Virtanen and Boeser pan out) and with Markstrom/Demko providing solid goal-tending, this team could theoretically be a contender again in a few years. Here's hoping. 

2 RHD and 2 LHD together? Very bad idea.

Tryamkin stecher

Hutton gud 

Hmm in a season where we lost Edler Tanev Gud for significant periods of time were worried about having too many D??? This is the best case problem to have. Especially considering where we were D wise last year. Need I bring Bart Weber Clendenning to the attention of CDC. 

How many here forecast we'd have such a 'problem', back in Sept?  With JB's drafting-prowess, sorta praying we flip one (or TWO!) for youth, and especially picks! The progress of Luca, Nikita, Stecher & others, sure has opened up options.

& WHY bother sniffling if we lose a smidgen on another Gud-transaction? With so many impressive, young D rising, why don't we simply appreciate a seeming-reversal from the team's notorious D-development past? Not saying it'll be Gud, necessarily..only that we can expect almost anything, with this trending-depth.

Or say a team like Buffalo would do Rhino for an OJ package? What's the call(depending on +, of course)? Other GM's noting the D-factory JB has assembled, might want pieces straight off our assembly line. With re-sale values improving, might we attain the status of Toyota or Honda?

First a 'tender-factory..shifting production into a D-supplier. What's next?

28 minutes ago, appleboy said:

We will lose a D man if we don't trade one. So a trade just makes sense right? Grab a 1st round pick for one of Sbisa or Tanev right?

If something makes sense for our future, that means it won't happen.

I wonder how many GM's are looking to add a Dman they have to protect? Might be a pretty limited market short of a couple / few teams looking to add depth at TDL for a cup push... 

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

I'd prefer to see OJ or Subban  in Pedan's spot there tbh, much more upside and Pedan is redundant with Guddy and Tryamkin in the mix. 

Biega has 1 more game to be draft eligible, Larsen 22 so I don't think we're going to see much of Pedan this year. Biega is signed thu 2018 too so it seems to me Pedan is the odd guy out. 

Pedan is just a 7th man on D. He can sit the press box, better than the AHL. Having juolevi or subban just sit the press box is not helping their development while burning a year off of juolevis contract 

50 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Hmm in a season where we lost Edler Tanev Gud for significant periods of time were worried about having too many D??? This is the best case problem to have. Especially considering where we were D wise last year. Need I bring Bart Weber Clendenning to the attention of CDC. 

giphy.gif

Just now, billabong said:

Pedan is just a 7th man on D. He can sit the press box, better than the AHL. Having juolevi or subban just sit the press box is not helping their development while burning a year off of juolevis contract 

No but with injuries and sub's they could get OJ into a lot of games, and he'd benefit from all the practice time too.

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

These past two seasons proved you can never have too many Defensemen.  We are lucky to have the depth where we are and with new recruits joining the gray in Utica like Brisebois, Neill and the emergence of Stetcher, Tryamkin, and some maturing in Pedan and Subban, The blueline finally has a wave of players to be excited about.  Too long have we not had enough young guys rippening in the minors and solely counting on UFA signings or trades.

Olli has yet to prove he is NHL worthy.  I may be alone in this thinking, but I think he is still a few years away and could use a season or two in the minors to filter out some of the kinks in his game.

oli is still 18 for another  3 months  not sure what kinks he needs to work out  hes won a memmorial cup and world junior championship and is about a point a game in ohl  pretty sure  hes just fine. In two  yrs he could  be our future  lidstrom hes got all the smarts  benning picked a great prospect 

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

These past two seasons proved you can never have too many Defensemen.  We are lucky to have the depth where we are and with new recruits joining the gray in Utica like Brisebois, Neill and the emergence of Stetcher, Tryamkin, and some maturing in Pedan and Subban, The blueline finally has a wave of players to be excited about.  Too long have we not had enough young guys rippening in the minors and solely counting on UFA signings or trades.

Olli has yet to prove he is NHL worthy.  I may be alone in this thinking, but I think he is still a few years away and could use a season or two in the minors to filter out some of the kinks in his game.

tanev for a winger and late first rounder 

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Edler (30) - Been injured

Tanev (27) - Been injured

Gubranson (25) - Injured

Tryamkin (22) - Fatigued

Hutton (23) - Injured

Stecher (22) - Fatigued

Sbisa (27) - Been Injured

Can never have too many D.  With Biega up as the replacer I think we're fine for this year.  Add to that the expansion draft I don't think we'll see any trades involving the D listed.  The only player I see getting moved is Subban.

weeek off at allstar break   hopefully they rested somewhere tropical   tryamkin and stecher will be great rest of yr 

We have too many dmen? I agree I'd love to see us trade 1 for some help up front. In a perfect world I'd love too see a 2 for 1 kinda trade pizza + granny for a big upgrade up front. Pipe dream I know. 

Id hate to say it but if you think we got too many d now you're prolly gonna hate the draft. With so many rhd projected to go 1st Rd I could very well see jb taking a rhd to have our future top pair with oj when edler and tanev are slowing down

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

You may be right about Juolevi he needs to fill in a bit and play against pro men for a while after junior.  Brisbois might become a depth defenseman faster...

Archived