The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks have too many Defensemen - What's the plan?

Frogger009

6 hours ago, hammertime said:

Hmm in a season where we lost Edler Tanev Gud for significant periods of time were worried about having too many D??? This is the best case problem to have. Especially considering where we were D wise last year. Need I bring Bart Weber Clendenning to the attention of CDC. 

Oh man. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

5 hours ago, canuktravella said:

tanev for a winger and late first rounder 

6 hours ago, luckylager said:

I wonder how many GM's are looking to add a Dman they have to protect? Might be a pretty limited market short of a couple / few teams looking to add depth at TDL for a cup push... 

I am trying to think of cup teams that need a push on defense?

Montreal maybe? Chicago not sure how deep they are? Does Minnesota have cup potential? one last kick for the Rangers???

10 hours ago, Frogger009 said:

How do people here see the Canucks defense shaking out over the next few years? If this team is to become a contender again, we need a solid D core and right now we have the makings of one, but way too many defensemen. Who are the 6 or 7 we should continue with? in 2 or 3 years, what will this D core look like?

Right now we have the following (age in brackets) that have proven or on their way to proving that they belong in the NHL

Edler (30)

Tanev (27)

Gubranson (25)

Tryamkin (22)

Hutton (23)

Stecher (22)

Sbisa (27)

Juolevi (18)

We also have Subban, Pedan and Brisebois in the minors/junior that could pan out.

Personally, I think in a couple years our core could be pretty solid like this

Tanev Juolevi

Hutton Tryamkin

Gudbranson Stecher

Sbisa? or another to round it out.

If our forwards can develop and mature into a solid group with a bonafide first line (hoping Virtanen and Boeser pan out) and with Markstrom/Demko providing solid goal-tending, this team could theoretically be a contender again in a few years. Here's hoping. 

Where's Biega? Does everyone forget about the bulldog? We need him to play so that he can be an unprotected player.

I don't think we have too many defensemen. I'd say we have enough. But no need to trade anyone at this point, especially when we're scratching the playoff surface.

It is not that we have too many D men. It is the point that we will probably lose one for nothing in expansion. If it was not for expansion we would keep them all. You never have enough D.

At the beginning of the year Sbisa was not someone that many would see trade value in. That has changed.

On 30/01/2017 at 11:04 AM, S'all Good Man said:

Outside shot. Why not? If the right Landseskog-ish deal came along why not? I see him as the least likely of the 3 but I don't know if you could brand him as untouchable for a trade. It all depends on the extension negotiations and if they are going well or not. 

I would say as untouchable as anyone on the roster, minus the NMC's.

The most logical move would be to trade Gudbranson.

Yes, there is such a thing as "too many D-men" because there's a salary cap. He's going to get paid like a 2nd-pairing D-man to play on the 3rd-pair, and we can't afford that.

Trade him at the draft in the summer, even if we get less value than what we gave up for him.

If I was the GM I'd be looking at trading Tanev. I love the guy but his value is high and if we get a young expansion protected player for him we won't lose Sbisa for nothing. If not trade Sbisa for as much as you can get. I'd guess a low first or early second from a top team. I can't believe I'd ever say Sbisa was worth a 1st round pick. Sbisa has blossomed. 

11 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

If I was the GM I'd be looking at trading Tanev. I love the guy but his value is high and if we get a young expansion protected player for him we won't lose Sbisa for nothing. If not trade Sbisa for as much as you can get. I'd guess a low first or early second from a top team. I can't believe I'd ever say Sbisa was worth a 1st round pick. Sbisa has blossomed. 

Not a chance Sbisa is worth a 1st round pick. He's still a bottom-pairing D-man, and the only GM that gives up a 1st+ for bottom-pairing D-men is our GM.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Whereas your opinion that he's a third pairing D means something.

He's put up minimal traditional stats and bad possession numbers his entire career. Every metric out there shows that he's a 3rd-pairing D-man at best.

32 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

That's pretty funny. But if you actually believe it, it's just sad.

Bad players get inexplicably played a lot by coaches all the time. Glass, Girardi, Sbisa - Bieksa pairing two seasons ago, Megna, Chipchura, Prout, Glendening, Ericsson, Rozsival... the list goes on and on.

Archived