The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Miller is "all in."

cuporbust

I think I'm in the minority here, but I've always been a fan of this signing. I think being so close to buffalo I seen his best years live and knew what he could do. That said I never followed him closely so now that he's here I see how much a team guy he is and I love that.

You win championships with the team guys who buy in to the system (not saying were about to win but I like how things are going with these team guys).

What's the average age of the goalies that have won the Cup in the last 5 years? I'm guessing approx. 26 years old?

Looked it up...last 7 years took away the outliers Murray (21) and Thomas (37) average is 28 years old.

3 years were Chicago = Crawford & Neimi; and 2 years were LA = Quick

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He's a big part of why our young defensemen are developing so well.  Having someone back there who can bail them out is so important for their confidence.

so if you agree Miller was a good decision and the kids are developing why do you want to "fire benning!"?

I missed the interview but thanks for the summary... gave me chills reading it. 

TBH I can't possibly like him anymore than after he dropped the gloves... if I liked him anymore, it would just be unhealthy. 

Ryan Miller is "All Man". I've never loved an American more than him and likely never will. I love you Ryan. 

Miller's done his best as a Canuck and that's all you can ask for as a fan but it's time for Markstrom he's more than ready to lead this team to the playoffs and maybe steal playoff games I'm almost sure of it.

My hope would be Miller and Markstrom split duties until the deadline and both play their best so we can trade Miller for something valuable and get rid of his cap hit to get something valuable with the saved salary moving forward.

This would be the best situation for the organization and go a long way of the teams future success.

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

so if you agree Miller was a good decision and the kids are developing why do you want to "fire benning!"?

Refusing to fire the brain-dead halfwit behind the bench or at at least ship out the pylons he insists on dressing.  Keeping the lazy piece of trash Vrbata was also a monumentally stupid decision.

9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Refusing to fire the brain-dead halfwit behind the bench or at at least ship out the pylons he insists on dressing.  Keeping the lazy piece of trash Vrbata was also a monumentally stupid decision.

The halfwit behind the bench got us into the playoffs his first year when we weren't supposed to be there and has us in the race this year when we're supposed to be bottom of the barrel. What an idiot.

If he ships out pylons what does he replace them with? Answer: other pylons. We're rebuilding. Some players on the team are nothing more than fillers to tide us over as young talent is acquired and developed.

He didn't have much choice in keeping Vrbata. He gave a bogus list of teams he knew wouldn't be interested.

15 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Uhhhhhh......goalies play behind defensemen, alfstonker.

Oh-Stop-You-Laugh-Point-Gif.gif

Good catch Phil, I was trying to multi-purpose between a Nordic noir book on my Kindle and keep my Canucks replies going at the same time.

Could be a cunning new Willie tactic though. :lol:

On 31/01/2017 at 9:19 PM, nzan said:

Awesome.

We've been spoiled by world class goaltending for so long that we've entirely under-appreciated how valuable Miller has been both as a tender and as a decent dude.

It's crazy to read this as a long time fan as many of you can remember this was considered (and likely still is) a goalie graveyard because of the way the media and fans treat our goalies. Miller has been a real good signing, real good.

9 hours ago, Baggins said:

The halfwit behind the bench got us into the playoffs his first year when we weren't supposed to be there and has us in the race this year when we're supposed to be bottom of the barrel. What an idiot.

If he ships out pylons what does he replace them with? Answer: other pylons. We're rebuilding. Some players on the team are nothing more than fillers to tide us over as young talent is acquired and developed.

He didn't have much choice in keeping Vrbata. He gave a bogus list of teams he knew wouldn't be interested.

Waivers would have been a solution then.  Vrbata's attitude was a huge problem and getting him out of the room would have been addition by subtraction.

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Waivers would have been a solution then.  Vrbata's attitude was a huge problem and getting him out of the room would have been addition by subtraction.

What difference would that have made? We were short bodies and out of the playoffs anyway. Didn't matter at that point.

On 1/31/2017 at 10:24 PM, Pears said:

we need to pull a Toronto with him by trading him for an asset(s), then bring him back in the summer. 

The only caveat I see sending Miller to a (possible) contender, and having him get into a situation where he's playing a tonne of hard games in the playoffs, might not bode well for him physically. 
You could re-sign him, but then you've got a guy who's almost 40 who's just been through the meat grinder in the playoffs. Not saying it's a bad idea, just an observation.
Same thing with Burrows. You know what you're gonna get from him post-season, but he's up there too and a long run would really tax him.
Hansen? Not so much as he's still relatively in his prime.

12 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

The only caveat I see sending Miller to a (possible) contender, and having him get into a situation where he's playing a tonne of hard games in the playoffs, might not bode well for him physically. 
You could re-sign him, but then you've got a guy who's almost 40 who's just been through the meat grinder in the playoffs. Not saying it's a bad idea, just an observation.
Same thing with Burrows. You know what you're gonna get from him post-season, but he's up there too and a long run would really tax him.
Hansen? Not so much as he's still relatively in his prime.

I understand your viewpoint, but with how good Miller's been over the last couple months you gotta think teams needing a goalie would at least inquire about him. 

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

I understand your viewpoint, but with how good Miller's been over the last couple months you gotta think teams needing a goalie would at least inquire about him. 

Oh for sure. I bet they are. It's already been stated that teams are calling about Burrows. They should be, Miller is showing he's far from washed up and Burrows has his legs back this year, and is the glue on a very young line.

If either of these guys were interested in "taking a vacation" for a few months and trying to make a run on another team, it would be stupid to not make that happen.

I just think if it does, expectations should be lower in the event they return, especially if they end up on a team(s) that go deep. 

Archived