The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van - Minnesota

From Minnesota: 2nd line RW Mikael Granlund 

From Vancouver: Alex Burrows  + Columbus 2nd pick for 2017. 

or 

Yannick Hansen  no picks. 

Why we do it:  We get younger with a 24 year old Fin and create a line with both Granlund brothers. (They could replace the Sedins as first line Brothers)  Also we get an NHL ready RW in case Virtanen and Boesser take longer than expected 

Why they do it: They get a playoff proven work horse in either guys. Hansen is playing the best hockey of his career and has a low cap hit and is arguably a better player now than Granlund  

Beartchi Horvat Boesser 

Granlund Sutter Granlund 

No way Minnesota accepts either deal.

Burrows is my favourite player on the Canucks but him + 2nd round pick is nowhere close to Granlund's value.

Hansen is nowhere close to being the player Granlund is. Granlund has three 40 point seasons under his belt at the age of 24 and is currently on pace for 72 points. Hansen has never even cracked 40 points in his career. His best season was when he had 38 points in 67 games (46 point pace) but Granlund is already at 43 points this season in just 49 games. I don't think Hansen will ever reach that kind of production. 

47 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

What about if we traded LW/C Marcus Granlund for the Wild's 2nd round prospect- 6ft 5, 222 lbs, LW, Jordan Greenway?

We get a heavy weight this team needs

No one gives up prospects like Greenway especially for an undersized winger. If Greenway does get moved it will be in a package for something the Wild need.

I don't think we get the older granny for any thing close to what you propose here.  Bidding would start at Hutton Hansen Boeser +1st. Granlund is only 24 and a legit franchise player scoring at nearly .9 ppg and playing a sound 200" game on pace for a 72 point season to put it into perspective the Canucks top scorer is on pace to score only 53 points.  

30 minutes ago, Toews said:

No one gives up prospects like Greenway especially for an undersized winger. If Greenway does get moved it will be in a package for something the Wild need.

He was drafted at 50th most teams passed on him twice when they had the chance to take him. I would think Soda would have great interest in Granlund's younger brother who is on pace for 20 goals playing a responsible 2 way game on our 3rd line. 

Minnesota Wild current lines 

Nino Niederreiter Eric Staal Charlie Coyle
Jason Zucker Mikko Koivu Mikael Granlund
Zach Parise Erik Haula Jason Pominville
Chris Stewart Tyler Graovac Jordan Schroeder

revised lines

Nino Niederreiter Eric Staal Charlie Coyle
Marcus Granlund Mikko Koivu Mikael Granlund
Zach Parise Erik Haula Jason Pominville
Jason Zucker Tyler Graovac Chris Stewart

Minnesota has a good chance at winning the cup. They love the idea of uniting the brothers for their careers. 

We are building a team for tomorrow and Greenway could be a solid piece moving forward that helps form a new identity. If we have to add a defence man like Sbisa and a pick or maybe Miller to help them with their cup run i say its worth taking a chance on a guy like that. 

Going into this summer knowing we have a prospect like Greenway to build chemistry with Virtanen, Boesser, and Lockwood would be a really good thing. 

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

He was drafted at 50th most teams passed on him twice when they had the chance to take him. I would think Soda would have great interest in Granlund's younger brother who is on pace for 20 goals playing a responsible 2 way game on our 3rd line. 

Where he was drafted makes no difference two years later. Teams don't trade budding powerforwards unless they are getting back a piece which is going to complete their team. Players like Greenway are extremely rare to find, most PWF that get drafted end up busts. When you find one that is actually living up to his potential you don't move that player unless it addresses a need. If you show this proposal to Wild fans they would laugh.

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

or 

Why we do it:  We get younger with a 24 year old Fin and create a line with both Granlund brothers. (They could replace the Sedins as first line Brothers)  Also we get an NHL ready RW in case Virtanen and Boesser take longer than expected 

Why they do it: They get a playoff proven work horse in either guys. Hansen is playing the best hockey of his career and has a low cap hit and is arguably a better player now than Granlund  

Beartchi Horvat Boesser 

Granlund Sutter Granlund 

This is bad 

Young player for 35 year old and 2nd???? Or Hansen who's also old.

Not gonna happen he's untouchable 

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

Where he was drafted makes no difference two years later. Teams don't trade budding powerforwards unless they are getting back a piece which is going to complete their team. Players like Greenway are extremely rare to find, most PWF that get drafted end up busts. When you find one that is actually living up to his potential you don't move that player unless it addresses a need. If you show this proposal to Wild fans they would laugh.

but budding 20 goal scoring 2 way fwds who play all 3 positions grow on trees. I don't think Minni fans laugh at the idea of picking up their franchise players younger brother. 

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

but budding 20 goal scoring 2 way fwds who play all 3 positions grow on trees. I don't think Minni fans laugh at the idea of picking up their franchise players younger brother. 

You can always go ask them yourselves. I guarantee you would get run out of there though.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2164139&page=20

You are overstating Granlund's value defensively as well. He has along way to go before he is the kind of two way forward you can demand a premium for. The first step would be cutting down the obscene amount of goals against when he is on the ice.

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

You can always go ask them yourselves. I guarantee you would get run out of there though.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2164139&page=20

You are overstating Granlund's value defensively as well. He has along way to go before he is the kind of two way forward you can demand a premium for. The first step would be cutting down the obscene amount of goals against when he is on the ice.

The first step is for Jordan Greenway to actually set foot on the ice in the NHL your over stating his value IMO he's still got a long ways to go before he's proven half of what Granlund has. As I stated I think the value is pretty close at least not laughably far off as you state. 

10 hours ago, Toews said:

I gave you a + because you made a valid point and I didn't want to see you in the negative for it. Although I would argue that our Granlund is a promising young player and could be a substitute for their aging core, but so is Greenway.

13 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

What about if we traded LW/C Marcus Granlund for the Wild's 2nd round prospect- 6ft 5, 222 lbs, LW, Jordan Greenway?

We get a heavy weight this team needs

The Wild are apparently anxious to sign him re Russo.  
They have really no use for Granlund.  Parise is even playing on their 3rd line right now.   They would probably like to move Pominville to clear cap space but he has a NMC.  

On 2/1/2017 at 7:59 PM, kenhodgejr said:

or 

Beartchi Horvat Boesser 

Granlund Sutter Granlund 

Yannick Hansen. I've never seen a fan forum before with such an inability to correctly spell the names of the players on the team they allegedly love. 

Archived