The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Avs claim Barberio (MTL), place Gelinas (COL) on waivers. O'Reilly (BUF) and Gazdic (NJD) also on waivers.

Eric gelinas... man that kid dropped like a brick. 29 points in 60 games as a 21 year old rookie. 7 points in his last 66 games and on waivers.

That gamble didnt pay off for colorado, imagine if benning traded a 3rd for him last year then waived him. CDC would explode!

1 minute ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Gotta think he'd be a good reclamation project for a team. Tough situation for him on such a bad Avs team. 

Benning could try it if he's willing to give up on Larsen. EG's only got 4 games left to be draft eligable, Larsen 22.

10 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

O'Rielly was a big part of Utica last year...to bad the Canucks couldnt claim him and send him there   but they have to keep him up I think.

Unfortunately you are correct. They would have to keep him up on the big club if they claimed him, or he would have to pass through waivers again, with the team who waived him (Buffalo) having the first shot at claiming him back. 

20 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Benning could try it if he's willing to give up on Larsen. EG's only got 4 games left to be draft eligable, Larsen 22.

They are different types of players though. And as you have pointed out, he would be expansion draft eligible (after 4 more games). I could see us taking a flyer on him if we had more injuries to our Defense, but as it stands right now I don't see it. 

25 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Larsen is not going to be protected.  He's also UFA and the player that meets the game requirements has to be under contract for 2017/18.  

1 hour ago, mll said:

Larsen is not going to be protected.  He's also UFA and the player that meets the game requirements has to be under contract for 2017/18.  

Right, so if Benning thinks there's something worth taking a risk on with EG we can simply waive Larsen. Lord knows Utica could use the help. If we need EG for draft exposure I'm sure they can work out a low cost 1 year extension. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

God the Avs are just horrible, if they need to add this level of player.  

Barbario is a solid NHLer. He was just a victim of the numbers game after Montreal traded for Nesterov and got Pateryn and Markov back from injury.  I'm sure they hoped he would clear because you can never have to many guys like that in an organization

52 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I hope someone claims Gazdic. One of the last pure HW fighters left. He needs to stick around to tune up the rats roaming free. 

I know most on here would disagree but I'd love to have him as a deterrent - always need someone to stick up for the young guys

8 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

As has been said before, the number of games is just to meet the minimum requirement for having a player of at least a certain worth exposed. Larsen (along with Biega and others in the same boat) is already eligible for the expansion draft.

Archived