The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Canucks ask Subban to switch to the wing immediately??

Matt_T83

Just now, UticaHockey said:

You are comparing a #1 overall draft pick and a Hobbie Baker award winner to support your argument.  Yes there are always exceptions where 5'9" players that are truly exceptional become NHL stars. But the AHL is full of small high scoring forwards that have never been able to produce in the NHL. And to take it a step further the ECHL has even more high scoring small forwards that have not been able to put up numbers in the AHL.  

Size does matter and the odds of Jordan Subban changing positions and becoming a successful NHL forward are extremely low and in my opinion much lower than him making it as a defenseman his natural position.

We can agree to disagree. I feel there's more examples of smaller forwards being successful, guys like Cliff Ronning for example. I used the link to show the responsibilities of a a winger. Compared to a defenseman, and Subban being defenseman, that can be an advantage for him, knowing what the defender is going to do on the breakout, it would make it easier on wing. Moving up the ice he can use his speed to avoid getting hit/pinned, evade and score. You picked Kane's draft position, yet said nothing about Gaudreau, who is playing in the NHL, and is smaller. No argument the deck is stacked against Subban because his size. 

Want more examples?

Martin St. Louis: 5'8" 177 lbs.

David Deharnais 5'6" 177 lbs.

Jiri Hudler: 5'9" 178 lbs. 

Tyler Ennis 5'9" 163 lbs.

Brian Gionta: 5'7" 175 lbs.

Not exactly a lot of examples of small defencemen. They are out there. But smaller forwards seem to be able to play in the NHL more than D-men can. 

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We can agree to disagree. I feel there's more examples of smaller forwards being successful, guys like Cliff Ronning for example. I used the link to show the responsibilities of a a winger. Compared to a defenseman, and Subban being defenseman, that can be an advantage for him, knowing what the defender is going to do on the breakout, it would make it easier on wing. Moving up the ice he can use his speed to avoid getting hit/pinned, evade and score. You picked Kane's draft position, yet said nothing about Gaudreau, who is playing in the NHL, and is smaller. No argument the deck is stacked against Subban because his size. 

Want more examples?

Martin St. Louis: 5'8" 177 lbs.

David Deharnais 5'6" 177 lbs.

Jiri Hudler: 5'9" 178 lbs. 

Tyler Ennis 5'9" 163 lbs.

Brian Gionta: 5'7" 175 lbs.

Not exactly a lot of examples of small defencemen. They are out there. But smaller forwards seem to be able to play in the NHL more than D-men can. 

How many of the players you listed are converted defensemen? 

It's been talked about plenty on these boards and probably in this thread as well but I think the biggest reasons he wouldn't succeed as a forward are the following:

- He generates most of his offence by walking the blue line, making passes and getting shots through.

- Where he struggles (at both ends) is along the boards and below the dots. That's precisely where he'd be playing as a winger.

Just now, UticaHockey said:

How many of the players you listed are converted defensemen? 

How many small defensemen are in Subban's situation? There is historical proof of players being converted from D to Forward, and vice versa.

I get you don't agree, just explain why he won't work as a winger, when clearly he has the offensive side of the game, just not the defensive side?

Instead of nitpicking, you're dodging the main question.

I'd understand you don't want Utica being used as a laboratory. But how does it hurt if during a few practices try it out? I'd understand more if they did try it in  preseason and he sucked at it.  Unless you try it, you won't know. 

The main thing is usually by the time you are in junior that's the time they try things out like that. Only problem is he's not in Junior anymore. With the Canucks having Stetcher, I just don't see the Canucks having two smaller guys on RHD.

4 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

It's been talked about plenty on these boards and probably in this thread as well but I think the biggest reasons he wouldn't succeed as a forward are the following:

- He generates most of his offence by walking the blue line, making passes and getting shots through.

- Where he struggles (at both ends) is along the boards and below the dots. That's precisely where he'd be playing as a winger.

^^ Now that is a viable argument. 

Archived