The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MacIntyre’s thoughts: Up with Hansen, down with Larsen

HOFsedins

9 minutes ago, Armbar said:

Larsen should be sent back to Russia.

I truly hope that you just happen to hate Larsen so much that you made an account specifically to say he should go back to Russia.

I am going to make up a fun story in my head about him defeating your father in a duel. And you starting a lifelong quest of training to defeat him with your signature armbar. 

Good luck on your quest for vengeance friend. 

Our current defensive structure does better with defensive-minded D-men right now. Edler, Biega, Sbisa, Tanev and Tryamkin are all primarily shutdown defencemen who don't score a lot. Stecher is the only real puck moving D-man of that unit. Very similar to the L.A Kings of a few years ago (Doughty + the rest). That system was working for us.

In the future it better change with Subban and Juolevi coming up into the mix (maybe even Brisebois) but for now lets stick with what was working and that was red-hot goaltending supported by solid collapsing defensive structure and good backchecking. Lets get back to boring 2-1, 3-2 hockey games that at least we have a chance at winning.

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

The only reason Larsen wasn't sent packing after the first ten games of the season was because Benning kept hyping the crap out of Larsen all summer. Jordan Subban could teach Larsen about defensive positioning. 

I'm happy he's healthy but playing him isn't spring us any favors. When he's in the lineup we're not a winning team. This next few games will decide if we make the show or not. I hope WD and JB seen what we all did last night and play literally any player overy larsen.

12 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

The only reason Larsen wasn't sent packing after the first ten games of the season was because Benning kept hyping the crap out of Larsen all summer. Jordan Subban could teach Larsen about defensive positioning. 

Maybe Larsen is like Vey to Willie?  Loves the guy, and will play him a lot even though it hurts the team. Plus, Larsen is what 27?  How about getting a younger guy in there anyway?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Larsen is like Vey to Willie?  Loves the guy, and will play him a lot even though it hurts the team. Plus, Larsen is what 27?  How about getting a younger guy in there anyway?

I'd actually think it is the opposite. I'm not faulting Willie for this one... I think he likes the dependable, 'what you see is what you get' type over the guy with the 'potential' to impress. That's why it took awhile to give Baertschi proper ice time and why Stetcher was sent down despite being one of the best dmen on the team. 

Larsen seems like a guy that was brought in to try and appease fans' rightful thirst for a PMD. Benning hyped him on 1040 and Larsen couldn't match it.

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

I'd actually think it is the opposite. I'm not faulting Willie for this one... I think he likes the dependable, 'what you see is what you get' type over the guy with the 'potential' to impress. That's why it took awhile to give Baertschi proper ice time and why Stetcher was sent down despite being one of the best dmen on the team. 

Larsen seems like a guy that was brought in to try and appease fans' rightful thirst for a PMD. Benning hyped him on 1040 and Larsen couldn't match it.

I thought I remember JB saying player deployment was completely up to Willie?

At the beginning of the season I was on the fence about WD I'd seen a few things that bothered me mostly the treatment good and bad of some players, some head scratching roster decisions and line combos as well as his delegation of minutes played by players.

Now this season all those concerns have just gotten worse as he continues to do a poor job on all of the above.

These games where he's not making the best decisions are killing the teams chances of making the playoffs and he's going to burn Horvat, Sutter, Tanev, Stetcher and other players that do their part and then some on a nightly basis. There's players giving their all carrying the team on their backs to make up for his stupid decision making so don't be surprised when those guys have an off night it will be because they're getting burnt out trying so hard.

Jim Benning has done a pretty good job for the most part but I hope he really sees what WD is doing and gets rid of him in the off season. Simply this team isn't good enough to not have a coach make the most of it and bring the best out in them.

29 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

It is called "sales", it is his main job, to sell tickets and fill the arena.

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

Marchenko is on waivers as we speak.

Larsen, out.

Marchenko in!  :wub:

Not a heartbeat missed...

This is Biega with size and speed!

And who comes out for Hutton?  He should be back on the road trip.

7 minutes ago, The Big Luongo said:

Jim Benning has done a pretty good job for the most part but I hope he really sees what WD is doing and gets rid of him in the off season. Simply this team isn't good enough to not have a coach make the most of it and bring the best out in them.

What is it called now? It used to be called a winning environment didn't it? The Nucks struggling to be in the bottom 6 in the league, Utica barely hanging in there.

What is the atmosphere called now? Challenging? Character building? A chance to prove themselves?

or

Three years in a time for management to evaluate what they have and/or need?

Boeser and Demko will start being talked about more and more now.

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Marchenko is on waivers as we speak.

Larsen, out.

Marchenko in!  :wub:

Not a heartbeat missed...

This is Biega with size and speed!

He has been a healthy scratch the past four games due to Nick Jensen's emergence. 

The Red Wings opted to waive Marchenko because he doesn't skate as well as Jensen

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Edler Stecher

Hutton Tanev

Sbisa Tryamkin

Biega Marchenko

Guddy is still on IR

Larsen gets waived

Subban to the farm

I understand why teams would do that re depth but I don't think it's fair to young players who are trying to start a career.  They need to play.  It's not the same for Biega who knows and accepts being a D7/D8. 

Archived