The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The picks are not worth the tank

cuporbust

So, a message to the "tank for s better pick" posters. Listening to 1040 , snd after listening to mguire , button , snd McKenzie, they all agreed that there is not much of an avantage between 3rd and 15 this year. They also said if there was a year to try and finish as high as you can and not worry about draft position, this is the year. 1-5 this year is basically like 5-10 last year. 

So my point is this ....  Is it possible that Jim Benning and Linden are not stupid and realzed this early on? 

I think before we all brand managment as stupid , we should consider all the information. We will not finish with one of the top two or three picks, so realistically , the best coarse of action is exactly what management is doing. So be happy with the fact we are better then expected because tanking would likely have not have been worth the sacrifice. 

13 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

If we make the playoffs though, we lose out on even the top 15. 

So don't tank but don't make the playoffs.

Button was quoted saying hes not sure there is a difference between the 3rd pick and the 15th pick this year. Thats why i said 15th. He said that meaning the draft sucks this year. Im not sure we should care where we finish this year. The benefit of a better season to the young players probably out weighs the benefit of picking higher. Thats what he evetually alluded to. Button is a credible draft anyalist imo, and there was also boby mac and mquire saying the same thing 

26 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

I think before we all brand managment as stupid , 

I definitely don't.  IMO we have the best management team the organization has ever had since Pat Quinn was GM/head coach.  TL/JB and co know infinitely more about pro hockey than 99% of us.  It's not even a debate

There is no need to tank. This is true but there is still some very good players in this draft and Benning said that the top 40 should produce some good talent. The top 2 is a step above the rest and the lower we go the better chance we will have in the lotto.

No one is suggesting that we purposely tank but if we are clearly out of the playoffs over the next few weeks then it would be wise to prepare for the expansion draft. If we could acquire  another first it would not hurt. you want picks in the first two rounds.

4 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

We finhsed third last man. I dont understand what more they could have done aside from crippling the team 

Management could have food poisoned them before every game.

Trevor Linden could have kept them awake by running up and down the hotel hallway yelling until 5 am the night before road games.

Skate blades can be surreptitiously dulled between periods.

Hockey bags of key players can accidentally go missing before winnable games, forcing emergency callups.

Chelsea Dagger can be played after every Canucks goal at home games as a disincentive.

Think outside the box like Mike Gillis used to.

29 minutes ago, Rocky Balboa said:

Canucks luck would dictate that we win the draft lottery during a crappy Draft.  

We will then draft the next Patrik Stefan. 

Oddly enough we got two HHOFers out of that crappy draft (1999) - course that required some real savvy wheeling & dealing from Burkie.

Lmao, 1-5 is most definitely NOT like 5-10 last year. Patrick and Liljegren were not healthy for much of their draft season.

This draft is getting so underrated it's unbelievable. All these excuses for not tanking is not going to magically make the later picks better and the early picks worse.

1 minute ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Lmao, 1-5 is most definitely NOT like 5-10 last year. Patrick and Liljegren were not healthy for much of their draft season.

This draft is getting so underrated it's unbelievable. All these excuses for not tanking is not going to magically make the later picks better and the early picks worse.

Neither Liljegren or Patrick were knocking out the top 4 last year.  So yes I would think that puts them in the 5-10 range.  Liljegren has fallen out of the top 5 on most ranking this year. 

14 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Neither Liljegren or Patrick were knocking out the top 4 last year.  So yes I would think that puts them in the 5-10 range.  Liljegren has fallen out of the top 5 on most ranking this year. 

Well, CBJ pick based on position. Seeing how they're trying to make Dubois shift to the middle and that Patrick is a natural C, I wouldn't have been shocked if they took him.

With this in mind, the only reason I see to get a lower standing is in later rounds; teams will always be looking ahead and a team with the 3rd-6th pick in each round will draw attention from teams trying to maneuver up for a certain player. Otherwise, I'm with @Cup or Bust; the benefit of a better season is likely to outweigh going for a higher pick

Like a number of you have touched on in other threads, I don't think they are going to tank, so to speak. They're simply going to recede out of the playoff picture in the next month because they're young, tired, and simply not talented enough right now. Like the Canucks are voluntarily choosing to lose. 

Archived