The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The picks are not worth the tank

cuporbust

12 hours ago, cuporbust said:

So, a message to the "tank for s better pick" posters. Listening to 1040 , snd after listening to mguire , button , snd McKenzie, they all agreed that there is not much of an avantage between 3rd and 15 this year. They also said if there was a year to try and finish as high as you can and not worry about draft position, this is the year. 1-5 this year is basically like 5-10 last year. 

So my point is this ....  Is it possible that Jim Benning and Linden are not stupid and realzed this early on? 

I think before we all brand managment as stupid , we should consider all the information. We will not finish with one of the top two or three picks, so realistically , the best coarse of action is exactly what management is doing. So be happy with the fact we are better then expected because tanking would likely have not have been worth the sacrifice. 

:towel:

snd after listening to mguire , button , snd McKenzie

They also said if there was a year to try and finish as high as you can and not worry about draft position, this is the year. 1-5 this year is basically like 5-10 last year. 

And SOME of us on CDC!!!:rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Lmao, 1-5 is most definitely NOT like 5-10 last year. Patrick and Liljegren were not healthy for much of their draft season.

This draft is getting so underrated it's unbelievable. All these excuses for not tanking is not going to magically make the later picks better and the early picks worse.

How did the ladder picks work out for these guys & MANY MANY more...

Getzlaf, Perry, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Benn, Bergeron, Kejci, Kesler, St.louis, Gudreau, LeClair, Bure, Pavelski, Marchand, Kopitar, Hossa, Alfredsson, Tkatchuk, Weight, Iginla, Recchi, Forsberg, Koneckny, Rantanen, Federov, Nylander, Larkin, Ehlers, Patranek, Domi, Zibanejad, Robitaille, Rackell, Kucherov, Rask, Schieffle, Tarasenko, Naslund, Bertuzzi, Panarin, Weber, Keith, Karlsson, Bure, Lidstrom, Werenski, Subban, Giroux, Hoffman, Stone, Tryamkin, Chara, Sakic, Fleury, Horvat, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc....

The time to tank was last year.

Instead someone came up with the brilliant idea we should go on a bit of a tear the last couple weeks of the season which likely cost us the #1 pick.

Well, we got Juolevi. Could be a decent player. May not pan out at all. Who knows.

How good would a 1 / 2 punch at center look like with Matthews and Horvat right now and moving forward?  

Shoulda Coulda Woulda

13 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I definitely don't.  IMO we have the best management team the organization has ever had since Pat Quinn was GM/head coach.  TL/JB and co know infinitely more about pro hockey than 99% of us.  It's not even a debate

I agree except the Loui Erickson deal was a bad one and we should have traded Hamhuis for anything to try to get 30th last year. I like Juolevi a lot, but Mathews and Laine are future superstars. 

17 hours ago, Zhukini said:

This year absolutely, last year is when they should have taken the lost and gunnned for 30th place 

And they were so close to doing just that and picking from the top 3, which is what every team was drooling over. I'm happy for Winnipeg but very disappointed about those last few road wins. I'm not generally a tanker, but feel those last few road games were just idiotic. Imagine a Laine on the roster. In last place, the odds of picking within the top 3 would have been through the roof. I get that the last placed team can fall to #4 but the odds are against it.

I also wonder about the lottery. Has anyone really verified how the lottery was implemented? Was there some public viewing of the process as with past years or did a computer just spit out the results? I can totally see Bettman fixing the result to penalize Vancouver for its noticeable fall from grace. I don't think he ever got over Burrow's public ridicule and his reception after game 7. Why were games 3 and 4 of the SCF officiated so poorly? Why were there so many phantom calls against the Nucks when they were swept by the Sharks. Why did Gillis feel compelled to publicly call out the league in the Chicago series for lopsided penalties? Over the last 20 years, how many players have called out the league for corruption? I can't help but suspect there is another level of confidential league dialogue among team ownership/management and Bettman that the fans are completely oblivious to. Vancouver is simply not part of the old boys club and will not be fairly treated.

I guess that's why I am such as huge fan. I hate the league but love the game and love underdog Canucks. Game management happens. Game management = corruption. 2011 was Vancouver's year but the league was complicit as Boston got back into the series by assaulting the integrity of the game and the Nucks with league immunity. I guess most of this post belongs in the worst memory thread.     

1 hour ago, NHTyrany said:

And they were so close to doing just that and picking from the top 3, which is what every team was drooling over. I'm happy for Winnipeg but very disappointed about those last few road wins. I'm not generally a tanker, but feel those last few road games were just idiotic. Imagine a Laine on the roster. In last place, the odds of picking within the top 3 would have been through the roof. I get that the last placed team can fall to #4 but the odds are against it.

I also wonder about the lottery. Has anyone really verified how the lottery was implemented? Was there some public viewing of the process as with past years or did a computer just spit out the results? I can totally see Bettman fixing the result to penalize Vancouver for its noticeable fall from grace. I don't think he ever got over Burrow's public ridicule and his reception after game 7. Why were games 3 and 4 of the SCF officiated so poorly? Why were there so many phantom calls against the Nucks when they were swept by the Sharks. Why did Gillis feel compelled to publicly call out the league in the Chicago series for lopsided penalties? Over the last 20 years, how many players have called out the league for corruption? I can't help but suspect there is another level of confidential league dialogue among team ownership/management and Bettman that the fans are completely oblivious to. Vancouver is simply not part of the old boys club and will not be fairly treated.

I guess that's why I am such as huge fan. I hate the league but love the game and love underdog Canucks. Game management happens. Game management = corruption. 2011 was Vancouver's year but the league was complicit as Boston got back into the series by assaulting the integrity of the game and the Nucks with league immunity. I guess most of this post belongs in the worst memory thread.     

Being that this is a weak draft then they will probably see to it that we finally get first overall. That would be ironic wouldn't it.

22 hours ago, Zhukini said:

This year absolutely, last year is when they should have taken the lost and gunnned for 30th place 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=2015-16+nhl+standings&oq=2015-16+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j69i64j0l2.4479j0j4&client=ms-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#sie=lg;/m/01322ttn;7;/m/05gwr;st;fp;1

They did that last year. Just got f-ed over by the lottery. 

Not tanking this year, this is the best they can be.

1/2 the roster is filled with AHL forwards.

They finish 28th but the Vegas rule puts them picking 5th overall again.

Benning drools and says they got the cream of the crop, he'll be a reeeal gudd player for us in 4 years when he gets out of college. along with the dmen that take 2 or 3 years to develop in the NHL and the power forwards that take 3 or 4 years to get it.

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Not tanking this year, this is the best they can be.

1/2 the roster is filled with AHL forwards.

They finish 28th but the Vegas rule puts them picking 5th overall again.

Benning drools and says they got the cream of the crop, he'll be a reeeal gudd player for us in 4 years when he gets out of college. along with the dmen that take 2 or 3 years to develop in the NHL and the power forwards that take 3 or 4 years to get it.

Is Bo Horvat going to be a great player on a team that is in a continuous rebuild?

Archived