The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Cleared Waivers] Leafs D Frank Corrado

49 minutes ago, Pears said:

Probs gonna do the same with Marchenko tbh. Guarantee any other team does this they'd have gotten some kind of penalty by now. 

There is a CBA. There is no rule that says you cannot bench players for long periods of time. No one will ever get penalized for this.

I always liked Corrado, he is or was actually a very good prospect for a while he seemed like the only real prospect that this team had. I'm concerned that he has played very little in the last 2-3 years and where does that leave him now?

As much as I would like to get him back in the fold I feel that the situation is that he needs to play everyday and the best place for that is the AHL. If the Canucks could claim him and somehow maneuver him tho the farm then go for it but considering this has a slim to no chance of happening since the Laffs can then grab him back then I guess this is a no-go.

58 minutes ago, Pears said:

Probs gonna do the same with Marchenko tbh. Guarantee any other team does this they'd have gotten some kind of penalty by now. 

Aren't the Canucks more or less doing this with Boucher?

4 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I always liked Corrado, he is or was actually a very good prospect for a while he seemed like the only real prospect that this team had. I'm concerned that he has played very little in the last 2-3 years and where does that leave him now?

As much as I would like to get him back in the fold I feel that the situation is that he needs to play everyday and the best place for that is the AHL. If the Canucks could claim him and somehow maneuver him tho the farm then go for it but considering this has a slim to no chance of happening since the Laffs can then grab him back then I guess this is a no-go.

Pretty sure we could immediately send him to Utica since we should still have first dibs on him. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Pretty sure we could immediately send him to Utica since we should still have first dibs on him. 

If that is an option then do it but I think our dibs expired at the end of last season.

8 minutes ago, Toews said:

There is a CBA. There is no rule that says you cannot bench players for long periods of time. No one will ever get penalized for this.

The CBA has a thing called waivers.

The Leafs circumvented the waiver rules by assigning Corrado to the AHL for "conditioning" when he had no injuries - sitting the guy for months and then claiming he needs conditioning because of inactivity is an absolute joke and makes a mockery of the waivers system/rules.  The point of waivers is to force teams to either play waiver eligible NHLers or expose them.  The Leafs did neither.

So yeah, there is a rule - conditioning stints are for recovering injured/ill players - not assets you claim, bench indefinitely and then dishonestly attempt to utilize a bogus conditioning stint.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The CBA has a thing called waivers.

The Leafs circumvented the waiver rules by assigning Corrado to the AHL for "conditioning" when he had no injuries - sitting the guy for months and then claiming he needs conditioning because of inactivity is an absolute joke and makes a mockery of the waivers system/rules.  The point of waivers is to force teams to either play waiver eligible NHLers or expose them.  The Leafs did neither.

So yeah, there is a rule - conditioning stints are for recovering injured/ill players - not assets you claim, bench indefinitely and then dishonestly attempt to utilize a bogus conditioning stint.

If this is the case then you should be able to find the rule that states this explicitly. The NHL has previously prevented teams from using conditioning stints for players like in the case of Mikhail Grigorenko, but this was likely due to the CHL transfer agreement. If I am not wrong Corrado wasn't eligible to play in the major juniors so he doesn't fit the case of Grigorenko.

Let's send Boucher to Utica on 'conditioning'.

Guy is clearly not up to game shape - would be more legit than the Corrado case.

But that's not how it works, is it.   New Jersey waived him - we're free to work with him at the NHL level - and assign an NHL roster spot to him in the process - but if we want to assign him to the AHL, he's rightly entitled to be exposed to waivers.

Of course, now the door is open - the Leaf's Corrado precedent, to do exactly that, so 'condiitioning stint' away GMJB - the joke has already been made of the CBA/waivers system.

Just now, Toews said:

If this is the case then you should be able to find the rule that states this explicitly. The NHL has previously prevented teams from using conditioning stints for players like in the case of Mikhail Grigorenko, but this was likely due to the CHL transfer agreement. If I am not wrong Corrado wasn't eligible to play in the major juniors so he doesn't fit the case of Grigorenko.

I've posted it before.  This isn't the first Corrado thread.  If you want to read it, simply search Corrado, waivers, CBA, conditioning.

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I've posted it before.  This isn't the first Corrado thread.  If you want to read it, simply search Corrado, waivers, CBA, conditioning.

Nope the onus is on you to cite the evidence to back up your claim. Jarred Tinordi was in the exact same situation last year and his conditioning stint got approved as well. Is the NHL handing out favors to the Habs as well?

5 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Too bad that waivers is intended to protect players from being buried in the minors on very deep team, in this case they failed the players development.

I agree. Its a dick move but that's the way the waivers system is set up. Teams afraid of losing an asset will continue to hold onto players. IMO they need to change the rules to extend waiver ineligibility. I don't think the union will object to this change as well.

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

Nope the onus is on you to cite the evidence to back up your claim. Jarred Tinordi was in the exact same situation last year and his conditioning sting got approved as well. Is the NHL handing out favors to the Habs as well?

Conditioning Assignments

"A player who has been on IR or otherwise incapicated (and the team must be able to demonstrate cause) can agree to be assigned to an affiliate for a conditioning stint that cannot last longer than 14 days. At the end of the 14 days, the player must either return to the NHL roster or be placed on waivers to remain with the affiliate."

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/11/26/1174855/waivers-101-a-guide-to-the-nhl

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Let's send Boucher to Utica on 'conditioning'.

Guy is clearly not up to game shape - would be more legit than the Corrado case.

But that's not how it works, is it.   New Jersey waived him - we're free to work with him at the NHL level - and assign an NHL roster spot to him in the process - but if we want to assign him to the AHL, he's rightly entitled to be exposed to waivers.

Of course, now the door is open - the Leaf's Corrado precedent, to do exactly that, so 'condiitioning stint' away GMJB - the joke has already been made of the CBA/waivers system.

Nashville claimed him and was able to send him to Milwaukee on a conditioning stint.  

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Conditioning Assignments

"A player who has been on IR or otherwise incapicated (and the team must be able to demonstrate cause) can agree to be assigned to an affiliate for a conditioning stint that cannot last longer than 14 days. At the end of the 14 days, the player must either return to the NHL roster or be placed on waivers to remain with the affiliate."

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/11/26/1174855/waivers-101-a-guide-to-the-nhl

And there was cause, Corrado was coming off of an injury he suffered in the Calder Cup playoffs. He specifically spoke about being behind on his off season training and how he was trying to catch up and get in shape while he was benched for the first half of the season. Seems to me like that fits the "otherwise incapacitated".

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

I agree. Its a dick move but that's the way the waivers system is set up. Teams afraid of losing an asset will continue to hold onto players. Its the way the rules have been set up. IMO they need to change the rules to extend waiver ineligibility. I don't think the union will object to this change as well.

I'd like to see that, add another year which allows for extended development opportunities. It may take linger for some to make the NHL but that means they re tweeners and the extra development may be the difference between an NHL career or a couple in and out nhl years followed with a career in Europe.

1 minute ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I'd like to see that, add another year which allows for extended development opportunities. It may take linger for some to make the NHL but that means they re tweeners and the extra development may be the difference between an NHL career or a couple in and out nhl years followed with a career in Europe.

The problem with the Corrado waiver eligibility was that AV decided to keep him up. He wasn't ready but he played decent enough to see some games and that pushed his eligibility ahead by a year. I would like to see that eliminated as well. Teams should be allowed to give their prospects a handful of games at the end of the season without it affecting waiver eligibility.

Archived