The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Biggest Mistake

Johnny Torts

Hey, Alex Burrows had some great seasons with the Sedins. I love that guy and despite what people say, I wish we keep him and he retires here so th club can be hated forever.

Listen CDC, We were spoiled for years by having the twins, superstars playing on the same line. AV started the trend of having other people play with the twins to "spark" em up, but the bottom line is we always had Alex Burrows in the line up but we never let the PERFECT LINE play through their slump. 

Years later, we sign Loui Eriksson because him and the twins have a bit, A BIT, of chemistry on international ice (keeping in mind the difference in ice) and we forget about Burrows because he had a couple nasty injuries and was written off through the Torterella era.

Why? Because Eriksson has some games with the twins on different ice, he's younger and faste......Oh my lord Burrows is faster, with years of chemistry with the twins. YEARS. 

But its alright I guess Eriksson can play with the twins if not Burrows! Nope! Megna! 

I hope oped people are understanding where I'm going with this. 

Seriously, as fans that pay top dollar for lower bowl tickets, do we NOT deserve to know what in the world is going on?

id ask the question if there is a disconnect between coaching and management but management signed Eriksson. I agree with most of management's decisions SO FAR, but still confused on some of the bigger decisions.

Thanks for your time Ladies and Gents.

Go Canucks Go!

While I personally don't understand the length and term of Eriksson's signing, he's still just one player. I have a hard time with thinking that the difference of one player would mean that there's a "disconnect" between management and the coaching staff.

Don't forget that this was a player that has played well with the Sedins in the past. He's also shown to be a well rounded player who could play in different situations. When we signed him, I'm pretty sure this was at the forefront in JB's thinking, but Eriksson proves that you can't really predict how a player will be on a new team until they're actually on that team, no matter the history that player may have with some of other players on your team.

I think it's important to realise that no GM in this league is perfect. At least we didn't sign a Redden or a Ribeiro in the end. ;)

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

While I personally don't understand the length and term of Eriksson's signing, he's still just one player. I have a hard time with thinking that the difference of one player would mean that there's a "disconnect" between management and the coaching staff.

Don't forget that this was a player that has played well with the Sedins in the past. He's also shown to be a well rounded player who could play in different situations. When we signed him, I'm pretty sure this was at the forefront in JB's thinking, but Eriksson proves that you can't really predict how a player will be on a new team until they're actually on that team, no matter the history that player may have with some of other players on your team.

I think it's important to realise that no GM in this league is perfect. At least we didn't sign a Redden or a Ribeiro in the end. ;)

You clearly missed the point. I had stated that they had chemistry on the international stage but Burrows is faster and has years of chemistry with the Sedins. 

Dw, tons of ppl on this board read the first sentence of each paragraph and comment. 

The biggest mistake was hiring a rookie gm when the club is entering a time when a tried tested and proven gm that actually knows what it takes to build a team is needed. Instead a rookie gm making rookie mistakes hires a rookie coach making ahl rookie mistakes while trying to sell a "win now" "playoff team" that's "competitive".and they both come out of it looking like fools. 

2 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Eriksson needs to wake up from his state of trance.

He cant.  Every time he pinches himself expecting the length and or term to go away he does another half race half glide (albiet not that slow I think the OP might have it wrong on Burrows being the quicker skater) up or down the ice in the direction of play and is paralyzed as what to do next....It's an endless loop that he probably won't shake out of until WD is fired or the Sedins retire or whatever comes first.

7 hours ago, The Lock said:

The real problem is the Sedin's at the moment...Playing uninspired and losing puck battles and unable to generate anything in the offensive zone has killed us the last few games...These guys need a wake up call.  I know it's an unpopular opinion, but they have been sucking so bad lately

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

LE's contract will probably feel manageable(digestible?) when the twin's 14 mill is off the books.

25 mill for the 4 Swedes..Umm?...

The length of LE's contract only makes sense if they are planning to extend the Sedins contracts...

I think the Sedin's have been playing better of late.  I have seen them winning battles on the wall gain (seemed like forever since they could control the wall), they are going to and passing to open space instead of just blinding throwing it to the other side expecting bro to be there, and they are actually generating chances especially since Megna was taken off their line.  I think they are going to break out soon, maybe not like they once would but it would surprise me to see them have a 2-3 point night (ea.) and go on a 4-6 game point streak.  I think their play overall this year has been uninspiring too many nights, but i can still see a bit of mojo left in them with the young guys stepping up to carry some of the load.  I hope they can put together a little run and re-establish themselves.  Danny needs to get 1000 this year.

1 hour ago, combover said:

The biggest mistake was hiring a rookie gm when the club is entering a time when a tried tested and proven gm that actually knows what it takes to build a team is needed. Instead a rookie gm making rookie mistakes hires a rookie coach making ahl rookie mistakes while trying to sell a "win now" "playoff team" that's "competitive".and they both come out of it looking like fools. 

The timing couldn't have been worse either. We needed an experienced GM to navigate this team through the McDavid/Matthews drafts. The canucks have deftly avoided both for the sake of a 'winning environment'. 

11 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

Hey, Alex Burrows had some great seasons with the Sedins. I love that guy and despite what people say, I wish we keep him and he retires here so th club can be hated forever.

Listen CDC, We were spoiled for years by having the twins, superstars playing on the same line. AV started the trend of having other people play with the twins to "spark" em up, but the bottom line is we always had Alex Burrows in the line up but we never let the PERFECT LINE play through their slump. 

Years later, we sign Loui Eriksson because him and the twins have a bit, A BIT, of chemistry on international ice (keeping in mind the difference in ice) and we forget about Burrows because he had a couple nasty injuries and was written off through the Torterella era.

Why? Because Eriksson has some games with the twins on different ice, he's younger and faste......Oh my lord Burrows is faster, with years of chemistry with the twins. YEARS. 

But its alright I guess Eriksson can play with the twins if not Burrows! Nope! Megna! 

I hope oped people are understanding where I'm going with this. 

Seriously, as fans that pay top dollar for lower bowl tickets, do we NOT deserve to know what in the world is going on?

id ask the question if there is a disconnect between coaching and management but management signed Eriksson. I agree with most of management's decisions SO FAR, but still confused on some of the bigger decisions.

Thanks for your time Ladies and Gents.

Go Canucks Go!

This is as confusing as the PP which WD refuses to change even though it is brutal AND the fact that he continues to play Larsen even though he obviously is not an NHL caliber player.

The Sedins have been in the longest slump longer then I can remember but WD continues to try ineffective playmates(Megna/Ericksson) over Burrows or even Hansen. Like I said on the other post something fishy is going on here and I sure am glad I am not a paying customer going to watch this garbage I am barely watching it on TV as it is.

Archived