The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Larsen experiment has failed: Bring back the Bulldog

*Buzzsaw*

1 hour ago, Industrious1 said:

Man, just like Sutter last season.  Good, reliable player gets traded to the Canucks and gets a major injury early on in the season.

Deja vu.

And then there's Dan Hamhuis.  He had 5 basically injury-free seasons with Nashville.  Then he comes to the Canucks and has injury-plagued seasons in 4 of his 6 seasons here.  That's Canuck luck for you.

6 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

I'm less concerned about Larsen's failure to be an NHL player and more concerned about managements apparent belief that this is a type of defenseman we need (as evidenced by signing Bartkowski and Larsen these last 2 seasons). There's a place in todays NHL for smaller, skilled, more mobile defense but it can't come at the cost of grit or compete level, especially playing in the pacific division.   

Don't forget the Weber fiasco last year. :lol: Stecher is a perfect example of being small but still playing with enough grit and hard work to not be a liability in his own zone. I thought it was a no brainer that Stecher beat Larsen out for a job so why is he getting ice time? Oh well, Hutton is back so I hope we can put this nightmare behind us.

2 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

And then there's Dan Hamhuis.  He had 5 basically injury-free seasons with Nashville.  Then he comes to the Canucks and has injury-plagued seasons in 4 of his 6 seasons here.  That's Canuck luck for you.

I think it has a lot to do with not having any forwards that throw body checks that hurt, any team can throw the body on the Canucks defence or goalie without any reprocussion or any fear that Canucks will retaliate . If you hit a defenceman he still has to put his defensive responsibilities first and may not get the chance to hit you back. the forwards need to lend some toughness to keep the other team honest. One guy like a  Ferland shouldn't be able to target defenceman like he does and get away with it. It's my pet peave with this team. 

you never know when a player might turn out and seeing benning try is ok with me but I do agree Larsen should be sent to the AHL or let him go a mutual end to his contract

In the next year or two we can not afford to take chances on guys as we will and should have a full team without Chaput Skillie Larsen and others that should be in the AHL

two more years of good drafting and we should be a playoff team and then and only then make bigger moves to get a scorer we want if benning rushes it will will not be a solid team

13 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

I think it has a lot to do with not having any forwards that throw body checks that hurt, any team can throw the body on the Canucks defence or goalie without any reprocussion or any fear that Canucks will retaliate . If you hit a defenceman he still has to put his defensive responsibilities first and may not get the chance to hit you back. the forwards need to lend some toughness to keep the other team honest. One guy like a  Ferland shouldn't be able to target defenceman like he does and get away with it. It's my pet peave with this team. 

For sure the lack of toughness and deterrent in the Canucks lineup has been a problem for the team in recent years.  Opposing players have targeted our top players without impunity and injuring them.  Both Duncan Keith and Nazem Kadri have gotten away with injuring Daniel with deliberate blows to the head.  Ferland was a huge factor in the 2015 playoff series with Calgary with his intimidation and intent to injure our players... again without repercussion.  The team brought in Gudbranson this season to support Dorsett as deterrents.  But as luck would have it, both are injured, leaving the team still vulnerable to being intimidated.

The toughness issue aside though, plain bad luck has been a bigger cause of injuries to some of our key players.  I was suggesting how unlucky the Canucks have been that previously healthy 'foundation' players they just acquired were lost to injury.  Hamhuis was out for extended times from a sports hernia, a torn groin, and a broken jaw from a slapshot.  Sutter got a broken jaw too, right after coming back from a sports hernia as well.  And Gudbranson is out for the rest of this season with torn ligaments in his wrist.  None of them were injured by aggressive play from opposing players.

Archived